Author Topic: weisco blues  (Read 7293 times)

Offline bige

weisco blues
« on: December 30, 2011, 10:22:07 AM »
well im so upset with weisco right now i hate life. well not that bad. i cut a window in my weisco piston and chamfered the bottom skirts, only i dont have a set of rings for it, i measured weisco rings and got a crazy .069, should be .014. i called weisco and they acted all suprised, so i ordered another set from marshall and they are the same gap. i called weisco again they said they would check and measure to then send me the corrrect ones. we verified the piston and rings package part numbers are correct. so why do i get rings to small twice in a row? i put in my old oem ring and measured .014 so i know its weisco ring problem. if it werent for wanting to try my window piston so bad i would just put the oem piston back in. this makes three weeks of this crap. i have never had this problem with weisco before, i do a fresh top end ever year using weisco piston kit. im missing out on so many rides now,all i can do is look at my bike tore down and wonder if i can ever get her back together again.  thanks for all the agravation WEISCO. anybody had this issue?

Motorrad

Re: weisco blues
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 11:35:02 AM »
yep. read my motor build thread..

more issues than just rings

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 01:53:26 AM »
you're not alone.Wossner seem better, but the piston to cyl gap they advise is a touch optimistic.K.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 07:24:19 AM »
Are you guys having this problem with the stock 86mm set-up?.I'm in the process of getting all new bearings/seals,complete crank,brand new cylinder,etc,etc...for my 95 KX5.Reading all the problems with wiseco sucks.My question is....is anyone having these same problems with ring gap on the next sizes up....86.5mm,87mm and so on.I would have no problem sending out my new jug to get reamed out to another size and replated,IF these problems are non-exsistant with the larger sizes.It all makes me sick to my stomach knowing I've already spent $1500 in parts(and I'm sure that # will climb),and not having ANY confidence in Wiseco.  

Foxx
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 07:27:03 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline don46

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 07:40:41 AM »
I run Wiesco exclusively (with the exception of the 91mm Wossner), I have never experienced the issues described by most, maybe I've been fortunate. as far as Wiseco goes I would bet that the majority of aftermarket pistons ran on this site are Wiesco. I will say wiescos are not the same as they used to be, but I still run them with great success, and wouldn't be afraid to run them. most of the issues I recall were with the rings.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 03:58:41 PM »
Motorrad had more trouble than just rings. If I remember right the ring groove was cut screwy & twisted the rings so it never would seal up. I've not had much confidence in them since they started cutting corners, about 3-4 years ago, trying to eliminate machining steps, like not cutting the piston side reliefs at all or the lightening area above the pin. & that was just what you could see visually. This was on the cr500 pistons though.
The 90mm wossner I got on the other hand was machined inside & out , literally, weighed like 3 grams more than an OEM piston, & had the rings that capture the alignment pins. I like it, have to see how it last's but, so far so good     
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 12:33:15 AM »
25+ years, and countless top end replacements using OEM cast replacement pistons. Not one single failure.  Another negitive story that re-affirms my dislike for anything other than OEM. 
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline weymouth399

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 12:49:19 AM »
plus 1 on that.

Bob W
93 KX500 ice bike for sale
00 KX 500 ice/dirt
04 KDX220 dirt
04 Kx 500 ice bike
08 KLX 450 on/off
72CT90x2 for sale
76LB80Chappy
86FJ1200
89FJ1200

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 03:36:09 AM »
My experience with Wiseco has been perfect with no problems.
I have purchased 2 std K5 pistons for my 2K 5K and my 04 5K in the last year with no problems.
I have also purchased 4 other pistons for my employees bikes, Kawasaki 2K kx250, Kawasaki 98 kx250, Kawasaki 01 kx250, Suzuki 03 RM250.
While my experience is limited it does show that Wiseco can do somethings right  :lol:
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 08:05:15 AM »

While my experience is limited it does show that Wiseco can do somethings right  :lol:

Not according to post #1 .   :-D
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline 2-Stroke Tom

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 08:59:05 AM »
There is absolutely nothing wrong with using the OEM cast piston on the KX500. Like Polar-Bus, I have done a ton of top ends using the OEM piston without a single problem. The true test is that I raced on the same OEM piston for several seasons on one of my 250s. Sure, a forged piston is less likey to cause as much damage upon failiure, but if the cast piston is prone to breaking in your engine, you're likely to have other issues.

When Team Green desert raced the KX500, the stock OEM piston was used quite often. I realize that most people on this site are always going to try and seek more power, but there is a reason why so many pros who raced the KX500 kept the engine basically stock. You got to give the engineers credit who designed the motor (maybe I'm impartial because I'm an engineer!), because one of their major goals was realiabilty. Most heavily modified KX500 motors will never take the ruthless abuse of desert racing because they will either overheat, or simply not last that long. Yet, tons of "backyard" mechanics will insist that their mods aren't affecting realiability and only adding power. Their bikes will never be put to the test to prove this.

Offline bige

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 11:33:57 AM »
well after 3 weeks wiseco finally sent me the correct rings and they measure .013" so finally this weekend i can get her back together. this is proof there was a problem with the rings themselves or got put in wrong packages, its possible they were over size rings. any way this should of never happened . just think if i installed them with out checking the gap first,it would of ruined my fresh replated cylinder. wonder if any body else has lost thier top end cause of this.like i say this is the first time ever to have a ring issue.

Motorrad

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 02:58:45 AM »
There is absolutely nothing wrong with using the OEM cast piston on the KX500. Like Polar-Bus, I have done a ton of top ends using the OEM piston without a single problem. The true test is that I raced on the same OEM piston for several seasons on one of my 250s. Sure, a forged piston is less likey to cause as much damage upon failiure, but if the cast piston is prone to breaking in your engine, you're likely to have other issues.

When Team Green desert raced the KX500, the stock OEM piston was used quite often. I realize that most people on this site are always going to try and seek more power, but there is a reason why so many pros who raced the KX500 kept the engine basically stock. You got to give the engineers credit who designed the motor (maybe I'm impartial because I'm an engineer!), because one of their major goals was realiabilty. Most heavily modified KX500 motors will never take the ruthless abuse of desert racing because they will either overheat, or simply not last that long. Yet, tons of "backyard" mechanics will insist that their mods aren't affecting realiability and only adding power. Their bikes will never be put to the test to prove this.

Very Very True...   I never had a problem with the cast piston in any of my bikes... (most of them have cast in them)

But.. when it comes to racing, and abusing motors,  it also helps when you are sponsored.. and have the option of putting in a new top end every race...

My setup see's alot of desert racing... and Bombing through the canyons with the sumo setup in between..   which I think the sumo stufff is TONS harder on the bike than desert race....

Wiseco has bit me good on that last piston of mine.

#1  rings were at .020 ish gap...
#2  Wrist pin clip grooves were machined .040" too close (going off memory)
#3  ring land machined wrong...

I still wont stray from forged though..

wossener here I come
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 03:08:10 AM by Motorrad »

Offline alward25

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 03:51:37 AM »
I think I am am going to window a wossner and run it with the titanium pin.  Should lighten up a few things.

Very Very True...   I never had a problem with the cast piston in any of my bikes... (most of them have cast in them)

But.. when it comes to racing, and abusing motors,  it also helps when you are sponsored.. and have the option of putting in a new top end every race...

My setup see's alot of desert racing... and Bombing through the canyons with the sumo setup in between..   which I think the sumo stufff is TONS harder on the bike than desert race....

Wiseco has bit me good on that last piston of mine.

#1  rings were at .020 ish gap...
#2  Wrist pin clip grooves were machined .040" too close (going off memory)
#3  ring land machined wrong...

I still wont stray from forged though..

wossener here I come
"Let there be light"

Offline Larry Wiechman

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 04:59:37 AM »
I think I am am going to window a wossner and run it with the titanium pin.  Should lighten up a few things.

I don't think a titanium pin will work with a needle bearing, even with a hard surface coating.