Author Topic: 2000 kx 250 quick question  (Read 4123 times)

Offline 91kawifive00

2000 kx 250 quick question
« on: December 01, 2011, 02:20:40 AM »
whats up guys. i just picked up a 00 kx 250, was tinkering with it after the first ride and realized my rebound damping adjuster (clicker on the top of fork) had way to many setting(clicks). i hope the forks arent messed up, the suspension handled great and was suposidly revalved for my weight. i think its should be a 18 click range but it felt like it was starting to bottom out around 26 clicks, smh. is something wrong witht the internals of the shocks? did the revalve give me more settings? any help or info on this would be great. thanks

Offline don46

Re: 2000 kx 250 quick question
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 05:12:44 AM »
I don't think you have a messed up suspension, the screw will turn more than 18 out of the fork. when it is in the fork movement is relative to the rod down the center of the damping shaft. It sounds to me line the jam nut is not in the right position, there is a guide that has an o ring on the bottom of it, if that is to thick or the the nut is not down snug it will give more clearance at the top of the shaft allowing the screw to move more. Also there shaft down the center of the damping rod, thats what make contact with the rebound adjuster
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline 91kawifive00

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 06:01:05 AM »
I don't think you have a messed up suspension, the screw will turn more than 18 out of the fork. when it is in the fork movement is relative to the rod down the center of the damping shaft. It sounds to me line the jam nut is not in the right position, there is a guide that has an o ring on the bottom of it, if that is to thick or the the nut is not down snug it will give more clearance at the top of the shaft allowing the screw to move more. Also there shaft down the center of the damping rod, thats what make contact with the rebound adjuster

thanks very much for the info. so that shouldnt affect the performance should it? how should i go about tunning my forks? should i just take the forks to a shop for repair? im just not sure where i should go from hear you know.

Offline 91kawifive00

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 07:20:39 AM »
im thinking just bottom the settings out and doin the stock settings of 12 clicks out. i guess go from there  :? or should i back them all the way out and start a couple clicks in? maybe 6

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 08:05:15 AM »
Bottom them out & work out...........you should be able to feel the difference just holding the front brake and compressing the forks to see how quickly they rebound......but you need to ride the bike to really determine if you will need more or less damping.
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline 91kawifive00

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 08:31:04 AM »
Bottom them out & work out...........you should be able to feel the difference just holding the front brake and compressing the forks to see how quickly they rebound......but you need to ride the bike to really determine if you will need more or less damping.

makes sense. i just dont want to turn them so far in that it messes something up internally, if thats possible. im not forcing it any type of way and i get over 20 clicks from fully backed out

Offline 91kawifive00

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 12:35:50 AM »
thanks for the help guys.. found out from a guy on another forum i belong to that its normal. he has a 00 kx 250 as well and his bike has 28 clicks.  :-D weird but hey i guess every bike is different lol

Offline 91kawifive00

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 12:39:37 AM »
 im gonna make sure to check if the fork cap sits correctly on the damper rod.
if there is a gap - maybe due to a wrong positioned jam nut - it adds clicks to the rebound, from what ive heard. i never really messed with the suspension enternals on any of my bikes. changing the fork oil is about the most ive done smh lol. can any one point me in the right direction to do this? once again thanks for the help, you guys are awesome!!

« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 01:40:52 AM by 91kawifive00 »

Offline 91kawifive00

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 04:45:58 AM »
im gonna make sure to check if the fork cap sits correctly on the damper rod.
if there is a gap - maybe due to a wrong positioned jam nut - it adds clicks to the rebound, from what ive heard. i never really messed with the suspension enternals on any of my bikes. changing the fork oil is about the most ive done smh lol. can any one point me in the right direction to do this? once again thanks for the help, you guys are awesome!!

got it. really simple with a visual lol

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=680904&highlight=