Author Topic: confused jetting  (Read 7268 times)

Offline bige

confused jetting
« on: November 30, 2011, 11:07:08 AM »
im really confused on my jetting situation,heres the deal 2003 kx 500 all stock even the brass, compression good with fresh top end, reeds, etc. mix fuel 93 octane klotz 32:1, elevation 2000ft, air temp 60deg. stock jetting is real rich so i droped main jet to a 165, pilot a 55, and needle clip to #2, air screw 2 turns out. bike ran cleaner but still had some studdering at 1/8 to 1/4 throttle, looked at porcilian of plug at base, had black ring half way up then rest was dark brown, so i leaned it out more. main 162, pilot 52, needle same clip #2 and airscrew 1.5 now my plug is still black half way up porcilian but rest way up is off white, from every thing i read there should be a brown ring a few millimeters up from base no black, my question is should i go to a 160 main? but every jetting chart i see from pro circuit to team greens all are at or close to stock jetting. i want max power but in order to get my plug to read right i need to lean it out beyound my comfort zone. should i go by the base of plug color or keep jetting to rich with what i got.

Motorrad

Re: confused jetting
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 11:48:06 AM »
what heat range plug you running?   and what plug for that matter...      :wink:

32:1 is a bit heavy on oil (in my oppinion....  dont want to turn this into a Oil war like so many a thread has gone to)

Welcome to the site BTW..

« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 11:50:54 AM by Motorrad »

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 11:50:32 AM »
x2 heavy on oil.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline bige

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 11:56:40 AM »
br8es

Motorrad

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 12:00:21 PM »
br8es

#1.. buy a better plug...    K5 likes the gold paladium and iridium style plugs (reason it calls for em in the manual)

#2 drop the oil back to 36-40:1     (I run 40:1) which is what Id reccomend... especially on Klotz Super tech...

go back to your 165 55 jetting and see what it does...

as it sounded like you were close there..    
the Black ring can be a combo of s**tty plug, too much oil... and perhapse you may need to jump a heat range...
but dont jump a heat range till you change the first two issues...

Offline bige

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 12:03:29 PM »
when i leaned it out it puled a little harder but that low throttle studdering stinks im afraid to lean pilot below a55. by the way whats up with the surging when off the throttle? at mid rpms. this is my first kx 500 and love it but these issues are getting anoying
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 12:06:28 PM by Motorrad »

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 12:06:32 PM »
HAHA....try screwing your idle all the way in,that should stop the majority of the surging.
I do agree with Motorrad...go back to your original jetting,and try the 40:1...I run that as well with excellent results,and if all else fails,try a hotter plug and see if that changes anything.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 05:09:40 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Motorrad

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 12:06:40 PM »
shouldnt surge at mid RPM...   pick the needle back up to #3    

where are you located anyways>?

Offline bige

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 12:10:48 PM »
thanks for the replies, ive always ran the br8es plugs yz 250, rm 250 i guess ill try those plugs at a 7 range and see. but was wondering would a mix ratio of 50:1 be a bad thing and run to rich?

Motorrad

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 12:13:11 PM »
thanks for the replies, ive always ran the br8es plugs yz 250, rm 250 i guess ill try those plugs at a 7 range and see. but was wondering would a mix ratio of 50:1 be a bad thing and run to rich?

Id try the good plug and 40:1 before you go messing with heat ranges...           changing a heat range at this point will throw you off... if your bone stock, you should end up at a #8 heat range plug... K5 like em there.   

also go back to the 165 55 when you do so...        Mid range surge is BAD JU JU...   I have seen way more bikes STICK due to a lean mid range than anything else...      Roll off the main to the Mid and STICK... 

at minimum pick the needle back up to #3 to cure mid range
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 12:15:45 PM by Motorrad »

Offline bige

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 12:16:34 PM »
im in wv, i thought of moving clip back to #3 and see but it ran cleaner and less studdering at #2. i figured the surging off throttle was a lean condition on the pilot  but that 58 is way to rich. my idle is set at the lowest and even took all idle out and it still surges a little but not as bad as when idiling

Motorrad

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 12:16:55 PM »
oh... when your tuned CLOSE  the idle will run on a few times (surge)        but not mid range.

Offline bige

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 12:26:07 PM »
only surges going down hills with throttle closed will surge and buck at a mid rpm with closrd throttle. upon giving throttle just studders at 1/4 opening but runs crisp all way to full throttle

Offline bige

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 12:40:59 PM »
i did ride a 97 cr 500 before and it did that off throttle surging to. is this a 500 only issue?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 12:51:51 PM »
Every 500 I ever rode surged....the real Ping King was the ole YZ490's.I read a post on here several months ago that said to turn the idle screw all the way in,and that would stop it from surging...I did'nt really believe it,but I tried it,and it helped ALOT.