Author Topic: Head gasket sealant need a quick response  (Read 7252 times)

Offline DeadRinger

Head gasket sealant need a quick response
« on: November 25, 2011, 08:04:18 AM »
Been awhile since I did a topend what are you guys sealing the head with nowadays? Dry? Rtv high temp? I used to use a yellow sealant but can't remember what it was. -DR
This box should be one line.

Offline royceymon@hotmail.co.uk

Re: Head gasket sealant need a quick response
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 08:12:07 AM »
are you not using the standard head gasket? on most other stuff i use blue hylomar ,i do believe rolls royce used to or still do use it!

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 08:20:38 AM »
A "thin" coating of Yamabond 4 on OEM gasket....just cheap insurance.I do this everytime,EVEN after re-surfacing.Nothing worse than gettin your bike back together,just to have to tear it right back down cause of a head gasket!!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 08:56:58 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline DeadRinger

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 08:59:40 AM »
Is yamabond 4 yellow? thanks for the tips guys I am using the oem gasket.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 09:03:54 AM »
no it's grey in color...ThreeBond is the same thing,and is usually more readily availible at dealerships.

Foxx
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline greencannon

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 10:18:04 AM »
Yeah, like Foxx said,  Yamabond or Three bond
Works perfect for the "infamous" leaky KX500 head gasket

BTW - Foxx, love that Buckley photo of JOJo Keller doing the real original scrub.....man that brings back some childhood motocross memories

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 10:27:09 AM »
Yeah,I had the privalige of growing up riding with JoJo...we lived 5miles away from each other here in Plymouth,MA for almost 25 years.The first REAL bike I bought was his 1985 Pro Circuit CR250...I was 14yo then.He's been living in New Hampshire the last 7-8months at a kids house that he's training.He spends alot of time at Jolly Rogers in Lempster,NH.
It's amazing watching him ride at 49yo,and 300lbs....and STILL spank the s%#t outa most of the NESC guys!!!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 10:31:55 AM by Foxx4Beaver »

Offline alward25

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 11:26:13 AM »
Do yourself a favor and don't use the oem top end gaskets.  They will only cause headache.
Cometic makes the best gaskets you can use.  Don't use a fiber base gasket or it will suck in or blow out.  Let me know if you would like to procure some.  I also have the custom cut base gaskets from cometic that have the 1/4" KIPS drum holes instead of the big ones to help shim the KIPS. :wink:
Alex

Been awhile since I did a topend what are you guys sealing the head with nowadays? Dry? Rtv high temp? I used to use a yellow sealant but can't remember what it was. -DR

"Let there be light"

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 12:24:31 PM »
I love reading interned bull $hit. Nothing for nothing but i've used Kawasaki OEM gaskets assembled DRY and not had one single issue over the past 23 years.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 01:18:24 PM »
my vote on headgasket sealer is spray on copper coat. Use it regularly
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline DeadRinger

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 01:22:55 PM »
I also used to assemble dry but started using sealant for extra insurance. Finished putting it together with yamabond 4 because I had a few tubes of that laying around for my VW motors. Thanks guys. -DR

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 01:27:33 PM »
you're welcome D-R....you're right,it's cheap insurance that WORKS.There's a thread on here under "02 KX500 head gasket leak" if I remember correctly....and even Stewart suggests using grey sealer,even on a Cometic gasket and that will be a "done deal"...and I think I would take Stewarts advice LONG before I took anyone elses first.

Foxx
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 11:41:54 AM by Foxx4Beaver »

Offline royceymon@hotmail.co.uk

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 07:16:10 AM »
I love reading interned bull $hit. Nothing for nothing but i've used Kawasaki OEM gaskets assembled DRY and not had one single issue over the past 23 years.
got to agree not a single problem with my old 85 and 88 500, but i never took the head off ,saved the money on the head gasket ,never got coked up with carbon ,right mixture,right jetting .

Offline DeadRinger

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 04:46:16 AM »
you're welcome D-R....you're right,it's cheap insurance that WORKS.There's a thread on here under "2000 head gasket leak" if I remember correctly....and even Stewart suggests using grey sealer,even on a Cometic gasket and that will be a "done deal"...and I think I would take Stewarts advice LONG before I took anyone elses first.

Foxx
Too bad he doesn't post here anymore  he had a head full of great stuff.

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 07:16:01 AM »
you're welcome D-R....you're right,it's cheap insurance that WORKS.There's a thread on here under "2000 head gasket leak" if I remember correctly....and even Stewart suggests using grey sealer,even on a Cometic gasket and that will be a "done deal"...and I think I would take Stewarts advice LONG before I took anyone elses first.

Foxx
Too bad he doesn't post here anymore  he had a head full of great stuff.

& my motor  :x
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!