Author Topic: anyone elses stock silencer rub the tire  (Read 3025 times)

Offline BronkoRob

anyone elses stock silencer rub the tire
« on: October 13, 2011, 03:25:09 PM »
took my 500 out to ride today.  not sure if this is common, but i have seen a few other posts of it with no real conclusions.  but does anyone else have there tire rub on the stock silencer?

Offline littlewing78

Re: anyone elses stock silencer rub the tire
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 03:43:05 PM »
You must have bent the pipe that connects the silencer to the header.  I have done the same thing.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 09:53:16 PM »
took my 500 out to ride today.  not sure if this is common, but i have seen a few other posts of it with no real conclusions.  but does anyone else have there tire rub on the stock silencer?

It's an issue even if you have all straight components. This is especially true if you want to run a 120mm wide tire. All's you need to do is add a 1/4" shim between the  silencer bracket and the subframe mount. However you might experience a slight amount of numberplate side cover melting where the pipe passes closely to the plastic.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 05:02:14 AM »
Polar-Bus has the easiest/cheapest idea. I have also made a new bracket with the right bends to move the silencer out. Either way it's best to buy a small chunk of heat tape and put it on the inside of the side number plate to keep it from melting. Should be able to get heat tape from any auto parts store.

I always run the widest tire I can so this always poses a problem. Hope this helps.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline husky333

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 05:08:15 AM »
Seen plenty of that over here in England too. In my experience the rear subframe on the kx5 is made of cheese,.. it bends so easy. Many riders have a modified / stronger subframe made (and pack the silencer away from the subframe about 6mm.)

Offline awak100

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 04:30:11 PM »
Just run it,  it'll be ok,  they all do it

Offline awak100

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 08:02:46 AM »
I run M5B's and terraflex there the biggest rear tires you can put on a dirt bike.  Yup they rub. 

Offline dmazz71

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 07:23:10 AM »
Since I needed rims and tires, I ended up going with a slightly smaller rear tire which happens to be the largest that Dunlop makes in the MX51's (120 X 80 X 19).  It clears the silencer and still offers plenty of traction for what I do.