Author Topic: Noob with a KX500 Front Wheel Question  (Read 2909 times)

Offline SpudRider

Noob with a KX500 Front Wheel Question
« on: October 09, 2011, 08:56:46 PM »
I recently bought a 1998, KDX 220.  :-)  This is the third bike in my stable, and the first Kawasaki I have ever owned.  After bringing the bike home, I discovered my bike has 43mm, USD forks, which are apparently from the 94-96, KX 500 bike.  The first owner installed new fork seals on these forks.

I have obtained a KX 500 Owners Manual, which contains a lot of information regarding fork maintenance.  :-)  However, the KX 500 Owners Manual does not address changing the front wheel.  :roll:

I also acquired a spare, KX 500 front wheel with this motorcycle.  However, I have discovered that the axle is rusted into the axle nut on both my KX 500, front wheels.  :-o  I can change the wheels by removing the axle clamps on both forks.  However, I presume the correct procedure is to first loosen the axle clamp bolts on the right fork, and then to unscrew the axle from the axle nut.  Am I correct?

In any event, I need to break the axles from the axle nuts before I can inspect the wheel bearings on both my front wheels.  Can anyone offer any advice on the best way to accomplish this?  Thank you.  :-)

Spud  :-)

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
Re: Noob with a KX500 Front Wheel Question
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 09:07:44 PM »
soak the nut/axle in the best releasing fluid you can find, or diesel.if your still struggling(keep at it with the rel agent for a couple of days, as often as poss)after doing this, warming the nut up with a blow torch maty be your best bet.hth.K.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 03:23:29 AM »
Hey Spud,
 I found an bolt and nut that had a close enough fit on the hex head of the socket that I could break loose the axle the first time I took it apart.
  The previous owner had really cranked down on the axel. 
   After I got the axel apart and serviced it I have been using the method you describe and just keep the "hex" side tightened in the fork.
  Motion pro makes a tool specifically for the job.
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/category/axle/   
  There was another company that makes a similar tool whose name escapes me at the present. The tool looks identicle to the Motion Pro piece.

Kwak makes a good point with some heat.  If the Prev. Owner used any locking agent
  200 degrees should break it free.  However heating it in the axle mount would present a problem...

There is another post on the subject, I'll see if I can find it.
   Tuck\o/

Yup, sure enough. and some excellent solutions compared to a nut and bolt!  :-D     http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,9579.0.html
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 03:29:34 AM by Friar-Tuck »
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline SpudRider

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 02:17:08 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen.  :-)  I got the axle loose, and was able to remove the front wheel that was mounted on my bike.  :-D  For my spare wheel I will now try soaking the axle/axle nut in penetrating oil.  :wink:

Spud  :-)