Author Topic: Head light  (Read 3707 times)

Offline littlewing78

Head light
« on: September 25, 2011, 05:44:09 AM »
I have a 99 Kx 500 and I want to add a head light.  I have tried to research this but there seems to be tons of ways to go about it.  I am still confused though.  All I want is the head light.  I will probably rarely use it but there have been times I wished I had one.  I am looking for cheap and simple.  Thanks.

Offline alward25

Re: Head light
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 06:50:14 AM »
If you are not going use it often and don't want to spend much check into helmet lights.  Then you can use it on anything you ride.
"Let there be light"

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 05:16:09 AM »
I have a 99 Kx 500 and I want to add a head light.  I have tried to research this but there seems to be tons of ways to go about it.  I am still confused though.  All I want is the head light.  I will probably rarely use it but there have been times I wished I had one.  I am looking for cheap and simple.  Thanks.

It's not as simple as "just adding a headlight" . You also need to upgrade the stator to be able to have 12V AC output .
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline alward25

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 09:37:47 AM »
To do it right to be reliable it is going cost about $700 at least, more if you actually want lights that are worth a crap.  Don't waste your time with the Moose add on lighting coil. It is 35w peak at best and is not worth the headache.  There is really only one option available right now, and it is reliable.
"Let there be light"

Motorrad

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 09:45:34 AM »
To do it right to be reliable it is going cost about $700 at least, more if you actually want lights that are worth a crap.  Don't waste your time with the Moose add on lighting coil. It is 35w peak at best and is not worth the headache.  There is really only one option available right now, and it is reliable.

I can second the fact the Moose is crap...   there is one on my bike...   

Offline alward25

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 10:00:08 AM »
I almost threw your name in my Motorrad.  Thanks for chiming in.

I can second the fact the Moose is crap...   there is one on my bike...   
"Let there be light"

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 09:32:31 PM »

Opinions vary. I have a single Moose coil output powering a KDX headlight and it works fine for my intended use. If we are talking about a $700 Baja conversion kit being superior IMO they are too pricey for the average rider. No doubt they work great, but they add extra weight and more complex wiring that can cause problems. It all depends on exactly what your peticular lighting needs are.   
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline jtm60

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 08:51:52 AM »
im in the same boat...i just need something so i can pass inspection for street use..i don't intend to ride much-if ever-at night.

anyone done the battery only setup?

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 11:41:26 AM »
Im guessing that I have a Moose coil on my 500, it came with a extra stator plate that I bought. I just needed mine to get through tech inspection at our enduros. They ask that you have a working head and taillight. Im running a Acerbis DHH dual bulb headlight with 35 and a 20 watt MR16 bulbs. For the taillight I am using a Acerbis LED light assy. Its bright enough to get me home if caught out in the dark. Its actually much brighter than our vintage Suzuki TS185 and 400 headlights! So far so good. Id like to get the light coil setup that alward speaks of but dont have the cash at the moment. Besides, I have a DRZ400S for any night riding I will do.
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline Extreem

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 02:59:28 AM »
I have a battery setup on mine untill I can afford a high end system.  I run a 35 watt headlight and put the battery in the rear fender bag.  I got a 4.5 amp hour gel battery off Ebay for $16, including shipping.  Works great as a get home light.

Motorrad

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 03:28:43 AM »
With my moose setup.. it is essentially a slow drain battery setup..

I have to charge it before I ride the bike... EVERY TIME...

Sure it works..

BUT nothing worse than riding around... comming back through town... wondering if your lights are going to stop working... AND I dont mean riding at night... I mean.. Brake lights... those things that get you pulled over by the people with flashing lights on top of their car....   when your on a PUSHING the limits of street legal bike already... NOT GOOD.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 03:31:20 AM by Motorrad »

Offline littlewing78

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 03:40:21 PM »
Maybe the helmet light is the way to go.  Thanks for all the suggestions.

Offline KE5

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 10:53:53 AM »
Can the Moose coil be used to charge a small battery? I know little about electrical. Thinking of a k5 powered project that'll require full lighting and horn, but little to no use at night. I don't want to pop a lot of green for a system if I can get by with little more than a total-loss battery system with mostly LEDs.

Offline jtm60

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 10:10:42 AM »
thats what i am thinking also..just go with a battery and do the minimum to get legal..I would rather drop money on nice wheels/tires for my project..i know i will never ride it at night..

Offline alward25

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 11:57:37 AM »
That is what I did until I got my lighting system installed.  a 7 series battery will run all your stuff for a while and fits in the battery box.  I had a trickle charger cord behind the LH number plate to plug it in after each ride.  i would buy a turn tech 5 Ahr battery if you did not want to by a lighting generator and then test to see how long it takes for you to run it dead, just so you know.

thats what i am thinking also..just go with a battery and do the minimum to get legal..I would rather drop money on nice wheels/tires for my project..i know i will never ride it at night..
"Let there be light"