Author Topic: 1992 KX 125 Clutch Question  (Read 2386 times)

Offline maseman__46

1992 KX 125 Clutch Question
« on: September 22, 2011, 03:56:33 PM »
Hello, im a new member so please dont kill me if I mess up. This is my first dirtbike. Been terrified of them since I was about seven years old. I traded my old fourwheeler for it and it needs some work. Somehow, the guy I got it from, broke the clutch basket, so he bought a 91 clutch. (mines a 92) I noticed the 91 clutch does not mesh with the primary spur gear on the crank. My dad decided that he would just buy a 91 spur gear. The old spur gear is a 16T and the 91 is an 18T. My dad did some odd calculation and knows that it needs 18 teeth but i cant seem to find the specs of the gear. Are they the same? If they are, would this work? Sorry for all the questions, and thank you for your time.

Maseman__46

Offline concave3

Re: 1992 KX 125 Clutch Question
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 04:04:34 PM »
I would get the correct clutch basket for it, that is a high stressed area and if it were me I wouldn't chance rigging parts that don't fit properly, while your down their I would also put new clutch plates in if you've got the budget for it, just my 2 cents... good luck! :-) 
rallyripper

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 05:25:58 PM »
Hey there Mase,
 We all started sometime, and you don't need to be afraid of a two wheeler!  :-D(Just Kidding)  No worries my good man, you are in the right place...
  I would agree with Concave, if you have to save a few more dollars for the correct basket, wait a few more weeks and get the right basket.    If your Dad already bought the gear and it doesn't fit just hang on to it.  You never know who will need one in the future! 
    While the bike is down waiting on parts it may be a good time to get a service manual and start going over the bike looking for any other Items that may need some attention. 

The way I cross reference parts is to look up the item for the year bike and copy and paste the part number in notebook.  open up the other year bike and check the part number.   if they match the part interchanges!
  Tuck\o/   
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline jonny500

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 10:13:05 PM »
if the aluminium part of the basket is the same you could swap the large ring gears on the back of the clutch baskets, its a tricky job but can be done.

Offline elmo

• whaddon
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 01:41:43 AM »
for future refrence dude the 92 is a standalone year, parts from 90-91 can be swapped easily but i wouldnt risk it swapping 91 -92
Roses are red, Pussies are pink, show me yours and i'll buy you a drink

Offline maseman__46

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 05:05:31 AM »
Well... this totally sucks. The way i figured it, is by adding extra teeth, you would increase your tourque output, decreasing your top spped. However, at the same time, with the increase in torque, it would decrease the amount of wear on the engine. I will tell my dad all of this. Thanks for the help!

maseman__46