Author Topic: crank installers  (Read 3976 times)

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
crank installers
« on: September 13, 2011, 04:23:13 AM »
was reading a post the other day, where a member said that the 89 on crank cannot be pulled into the right side case due to having no thread to attach the tool to.the early cranks (83 thru 87, maybe 88) do have a thread as the primary gear is held on with a nut, instead of a circlip.does anyone know whether the installing tool can be used on the early cranks???(rh side).K.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline don46

Re: crank installers
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 06:35:14 AM »
that is correct the right side does not have the means to be pulled into the case.

Having said that, I instll mine by using heat and cold, I use a bag of crushed ice on the crank journal and I heat a metal slug and set it on the inner bearing race, when all is ready I slide the crank right through the bearing. Kawasaki race team reccommends a .012 feeler gauge between the crank and bearing to install some side clearance on the right side. when you slided the left on you don't have to worry.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 07:15:37 AM »
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50
2009 Harley super glide custom

Offline DoldGuy

Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 01:50:19 PM »
So does anyone know if the 83-87 cranks primary threads can be used to draw it into the rh case? this thread is bigger than f/wheel thread, but don't know size off top of my head...Anybody?
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 03:56:48 AM »
I might add, I'm gonna use the heat freeze method, was just wondering whether we'd missed this possibility, as it may help those of our demographic (see wot I did there?) that are newer to this stroker game thats all, as your first time is never memorable for the right reasons, lots of fumbling, trying to get the thing in the hole, knees trembling,wondering whether you're doing it right....And then there's the engine to build....K.

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 11:14:57 AM »
Just to clarify, 88 crank is old style(extra holes near rod) but with 89-04 primary gear location,(teeth and circlip as opposed to woodruff key and nut).K.