Author Topic: A few tiny tricks I do to my bike.  (Read 11356 times)

Offline awak100

Re: A few tiny tricks I do to my bike.
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2012, 12:31:16 AM »
Well ok 86 87 88 89 92hillclimb bike 94practive hillclimb bike 99 02 and 04 which one do you want to talk obout

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2012, 12:44:48 AM »
Sorry, I quoted Motorrad and was referring to his Red Bull addiction.  But I'm all ears to hear any reviews of your bikes as well.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 01:21:51 AM »
I was noticing how much my seat was wearing into my sub-frame this past winter,so I thought I would try this.I took some cheap foam rubber weather stripping that you can get at any hardware store...I got mine at Home-Depot,and put a thin layer of Yamabond on the contact points of the seat to sub-frame,and cut three pieces of weather stripping to fit.The weather stripping already has an adhesive backing,but it's just not strong enough to stay stuck on(reason for the Yamabond).So far,I've got around 40-50 hours on the 1st pieces I put on,and just now had to replace the right side one.Not only does it stop the wear on the sub-frame...but also cuts back on the vibrations to the ole cornhole :-D   

« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:57:40 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 04:24:06 AM »
I was noticing how much my seat was wearing into my sub-frame over the winter,so I thought I would try this.I just took some cheap foam rubber weather stripping that you can get at any hardware store...I got mine at Home-Depot,and put a thin layer of Yamabond on the contact points of the seat to sub-frame,and cut three pieces of weather stripping to fit.The weather stripping already has an adhesive backing,but it's just not strong enough.So far,I've got around 40-50 hours on the 1st pieces I put on,and just now had to replace the right side one.Not only does it stop the wear on the sub-frame...but also cuts back on the vibrations to the ole cornhole :-D   

I have some really heavy duty 1/8" rubber sheets, let me know I can mail you some if you want to try some more durable rubber. Hey do you have some type of chain protector for the inside of your subframe ? The chain saws into the sub frame badly. I have a bunch of 1"X6"X .125" Teflon strips that I gave a buch out to other members. You rivet the teflon pad to the inside of your sub frame tube, no more issues. Let me know i'll mail you one.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2012, 05:31:22 AM »
Polar,I'd be willing to try out some of the rubber you have once I need to replace the strips I have on there now...I'm always willing to give anyones suggestions a shot.
For the left lower leg of the sub-frame,I bought a 2x6 galvanized joist hanger and cut one side off,it's an 1/8" thick,perfectly pre-bent 90 degrees...and pre-drilled.All I had to do was drill a few pilot holes in the frame.Then coated the threads of some self tappers with black RTV,ran a good bead of RTV the length of the hanger on both contact sides of the hanger and frame to help keep out water/moisture,and gently seated the self tappers with a cordless drill.

As you can see,there's hardly a scratch on it,and it's been on for just about a year.At this rate,it should last me the life I own the bike.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 05:42:41 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2012, 09:05:06 AM »
Polar,I'd be willing to try out some of the rubber you have once I need to replace the strips I have on there now...I'm always willing to give anyones suggestions a shot.
For the left lower leg of the sub-frame,I bought a 2x6 galvanized joist hanger and cut one side off,it's an 1/8" thick,perfectly pre-bent 90 degrees...and pre-drilled.All I had to do was drill a few pilot holes in the frame.Then coated the threads of some self tappers with black RTV,ran a good bead of RTV the length of the hanger on both contact sides of the hanger and frame to help keep out water/moisture,and gently seated the self tappers with a cordless drill.

My subframe was really beat up when I got the bike. The p/o had a JUNK roller chain installed, and stretched floppy roller chains probably are what trash the inner sub frame. Now that i run a top shelf Regina ORN oring and keep the chain tension in spec, even my teflon pad has only slight scratches.

As you can see,there's hardly a scratch on it,and it's been on for just about a year.At this rate,it should last me the life I own the bike.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2012, 11:36:22 AM »
Yeah,that's how mine was too when I got it...it had a D.I.D X-ring that was more played-out than most of the women I've been with!.I'm with you on the Reginas,they've been my choice of chain since the early 90s...but when I started having issues with the case getting chewed up,I did some research on different chains.Part of the problem was it had a spanked 14T Sunstar front and the collar inside the shaft spline was worn,so it enabled the sprocket to woble a bit.So I replaced the o-ring,the collar,the C-clip,and put a new Renthal 14T on...the way the Renthal was designed/machined brought it out away from the case a little more than the Sunstar.Now for the chain,I ended up going with an RK-MXU-ring.....I know,NOT my favorite choice at all,but....it has a 9000lb tensile strength,which is good since my left hand suffers from a disease called "Groping the clutch too much"...where as the Regina was about a respectable 8400lbs,and the MXU is far narrower than any other O-ring I've seen and lighter at about 3.3 pounds.....and I gotta say,I've had it on there for roughly 8 months and only had to re-adjust it once after the 1st ride.I can honestly say,I'm impressed with RK for once.