Author Topic: Whats the compatibal years  (Read 4979 times)

Offline chrisxj

Whats the compatibal years
« on: August 28, 2011, 02:52:38 PM »
                              I just purchased an 89 K5 i was wondering what years are interchangable with my 89 and who has the knowledge as to help me with a rebuild (ie will not require me to package an arma and a leg along with my payment) and what parts are interchangable.

Thank You
                                                  Chris
1989 zuki 500 zilla mx ported DR.Q pipe undercut gears and 41.5mm mikuni

85/86 KX500 death trap (restore)maybe

1986 honda XL600r all stock and red white and blue

Offline chrisxj

Re: Whats the compatibal years
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 03:02:46 AM »
hello anybody? can buy a parts bike i need to to know what years are interchangable if their is any

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 04:21:00 AM »
all years from 89 to 04 are interchangeable
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50
2009 Harley super glide custom

Offline Openclass

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 05:25:00 AM »
That's right 89-04 except for some fork upgrades, and the rear hub was upgraded to two bearings on the drive side, but it will most likely work any way.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 10:54:20 AM »
89-04 engines are the same.
The big things you will need to watch for is the front brakes, forks, triple tree.
If you want to see what was changed and what years you can check it out here:
http://oem-cycle.com/KAWASAKIKX500BIKEID.aspx
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 03:22:36 PM »
One part I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned is the shift shaft. In 95 they didn't neck it down for the shifter. The left it the same diameter and knurled it which requires a different shift lever than previous years. The new non necked shift shaft is less prone to breaking or bending. There is no other difference in the shafts so it will just fit.

I have broken a few of the pre 95 shafts and have had the upgraded one for 2 years and still straight and works excellent. I recommend doing it to all that tear into their cases for rebuild. Don't forget to buy a new shift lever though.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline chrisxj

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 04:11:41 PM »
well thanks for all the info boys but i found a few disapointing things since i was vin research i found out it was a 86 frame withan 85 motor so my qeustion has changed a bit. the guy said it was an 89 but obvious people lie all the time. But the most thing im disapointed is it is not a powervalve motor i got spoiled on powervalve motors i allways knew about when i was gonna hit the power band on this monster it goin to be a mystery when it will hit :-oscary if you ask me

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 04:22:04 PM »
The 85 was a solid engine even though it didn't have power valves. It's getting very hard to find parts for the early year K5's but they are out there. It just takes some searching.

I have run into the same issue with someone saying they have one year and it turns out to be another. I now keep the vin ID list in my phone so I can identify a bike on the spot. Friend of mine drove 6 hours to pick up a 96 KX250 and when we got there I knew it was a 92. The guy didn't believe me until I pulled the vin ID up on my phone then he got pissed off and I talked him down on price because it wasn't what he said it was and we drove 6 hours. The engine was in pieces in a box. The cylinder was in bad shape and the crank was a paperweight. It sucks that ya can't trust anyone anymore.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 06:02:14 PM »
One part I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned is the shift shaft. In 95 they didn't neck it down for the shifter. The left it the same diameter and knurled it which requires a different shift lever than previous years. The new non necked shift shaft is less prone to breaking or bending. There is no other difference in the shafts so it will just fit.

I have broken a few of the pre 95 shafts and have had the upgraded one for 2 years and still straight and works excellent. I recommend doing it to all that tear into their cases for rebuild. Don't forget to buy a new shift lever though.

Yes, Goat is right.
It is one of the very few engine parts that changed as a customer pointed out to me last week.
I had the interchange years correct but didn't actually know what was different until it was pointed out to me...
The clutch arm is different in 89, 90-04.
Fly wheels were different in 86-89, 90-91, 92-04.
Shift levers were different in 83-86, 87, 88-93, 94-04.
I have not researched shift levers :-)
Transmission gears were different in 88-89, 90-04.
Carburetors were different in 89, 90-93, 94-04.
There is probably some other differences but I think these are the major ones.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 08:54:51 PM »
before I spent so much time lookin at bikes and spec sheets, the 86 I know own was advertised as a 93.when I saw the rwu forks I knew it wasn't a 93, but didn't know it was an 86 either.the non powervalve motor kinda makes it into a kawasaki cr5(!) with square bore/stroke, but have heard they go well.there arent a great many of them about in serviceable shape either....K.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline turdle

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 11:28:43 PM »
before I spent so much time lookin at bikes and spec sheets, the 86 I know own was advertised as a 93.when I saw the rwu forks I knew it wasn't a 93, but didn't know it was an 86 either.the non powervalve motor kinda makes it into a kawasaki cr5(!) with square bore/stroke, but have heard they go well.there arent a great many of them about in serviceable shape either....K.
hey kwakman, if your engine is a non-valve, it is an 85. my  wife bought me my first K5, brand new from the dealer,$2495.00 had it delivered for my b-day in 85. i now have a 86,87, and 93 chassis. 2-86 engines and 2-87 engines. so far, from what i can tell, just about every thing on 86-87 engines are inter changeable, with small differences in some parts. 85-86 frames are simular with the uni-trak pivot arm on top.  in 87 they moved it to the bottom.  i bought my 87 last spring advertised as a 89. i did not know what the differences were, since then i have been doing tons of research on this site and others. in the last year ive looked at a lot of bikes advertised as one year but then when you get there its a different year . i think some dont know and others are tying to pull a fastone. i am no expert by any means ,just sharing what i am finding out after getting back in the game. i went on a 20 yr hiatus to play with 70 chevelles, 4x4 gm trucks, snomobiles, and my family. it is awesome to be riding again, with my son, and son-in-law.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 12:12:49 AM by turdle »

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 12:44:35 AM »
that was a long time ago..... :wink:easiest way to split an 85 from an 86 is disc rear end and lack of pv drive/cover.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....