Author Topic: KX 125 front axle hex key size  (Read 8622 times)

Offline KevinTwoStk

KX 125 front axle hex key size
« on: August 19, 2011, 01:41:22 PM »
I've got a 2000 KX 125 and I've tried both a 19mm and a 17mm hex key in the end of the front axle.

The 19mm is just a bit too big, and the 17mm is way too small. The pinch bolts were still tight when I tried the 19mm hex key, but I can't imagine the hex bore opening up that far by loosening the pinch bolts.

I'm guessing that 18mm is the correct size, but 18mm hex keys are pretty uncommon.

I searched the site before posting this thread...sorry if I've inadvertently overlooked existing information.

Does anyone know:

Is 18mm the correct size?

Does this take a special tool from the local Kawasaki dealer?

Thanks in advance for any info or insight!

Offline KevinTwoStk

Re: KX 125 front axle hex key size
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 01:32:48 PM »
Aaaahh the lovely sound of crickets chirping...

I'm gonna check into info and/or special tools at the local Kawasaki parts counter.

I'll post up what I find out.

Offline suicyde

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 03:03:46 PM »
I'm not 100 percent sure of a kawi but all my yamahas have a hex side to the ft axle. Its there for show mostly, the pinch bolts hold the right fork leg to the axle, and the nut locks the axle, bearings, collar together so the brakes are in the right spot.

Take the nut off, loosen the pinch bolts, and tap the axle through. No hex needed.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 06:44:08 PM »
Aaaahh the lovely sound of crickets chirping...

Sorry Kev,  Like Suicyde said,  I've never considered finding a hex key that large.
        So I didn't post as I didn't know where to go with it. :|
             Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Openclass

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 01:06:39 AM »
yup what kevin said!

I though the same thing a few months back where do you get a tool to fit that? But it loosens from the other side.

Offline don46

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 05:20:39 AM »
motion pro makes a tool that fits into the axle. I made my own

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/category/t-6_crmo_hex_axle_tool/
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline KevinTwoStk

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 07:40:23 AM »
Thanks for the replies, everyone!

That loosening technique makes complete sense.

The added bonus is that I won't have to carry a hex wrench for the axle.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 09:28:03 AM »

Now you got my curiosity up Don I'll bite,
  The only thing I could think of was a bolt & nut type deal.  The bolt or nut would fit the axle and then either a socket or wrench to hold the nut or bolt head...
  What, (if you don't mind sharing) were you able to fabricate to fit and what size is it? 
                                   Tuck\o/

Motorrad

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 10:23:41 AM »
My kx450 front axle happens to be very close to the same size as a br8s spark plug....  I made a tool out of an old plug instead of buying one...

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 11:02:02 AM »

Are you sayin' just cut the plug above the hex and then?  :-( ?  Weld an old extension or socket to it?
T\o/

Motorrad

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 12:10:27 PM »
Didn't get that fancy... Was lazy... And pissed off at the stupid design... Who has a big ass Allen wrench on the trail when you get a flat??!!   Take hammer.. Hit plug.. Bust off porcelain...    Get vice grips,  clamp onto threaded portion...  Insert into axle..  Get torque wrench and torque nut....
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 12:12:45 PM by Motorrad »

Offline KevinTwoStk

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 01:36:53 PM »
Didn't get that fancy... Was lazy... And pissed off at the stupid design... Who has a big ass Allen wrench on the trail when you get a flat??!!   Take hammer.. Hit plug.. Bust off porcelain...    Get vice grips,  clamp onto threaded portion...  Insert into axle..  Get torque wrench and torque nut....

That reminds me of a 4x4 company called STaK 4x4. They make custom transfer cases. Their motto is "Innovation Through Irritation."

I like your spark plug solution!

Offline don46

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 10:26:33 AM »

Now you got my curiosity up Don I'll bite,
  The only thing I could think of was a bolt & nut type deal.  The bolt or nut would fit the axle and then either a socket or wrench to hold the nut or bolt head...
  What, (if you don't mind sharing) were you able to fabricate to fit and what size is it? 
                                   Tuck\o/

Here is a picture of my tool, it is 19mm and if it doesn't fit in an axle i'd look for the hammer or cresent wrench marks. You hear people all the time complain that they have fork seal issues, and in probably 97% of the cases it is owner abuse. we have raced on a pro level of MX for over 10 years with a couple of those at the nationals, and during that time i learned alot of tricks from guys in the know. this is one of them, when I install the front wheel I use my tool to remove the axle, never beat on it, ever, when reinstalling I make sure it is super clean, put some grease on the axle and use my tool to slide it in, twisting the whole time making sure I'm not pulling the other axle leg in, tighten the nut while still spinning, of course one the nut is tight it stops spinning. tighten the pinch bolts and give the axle nut one last pull.

doing this I have had minimal fork seal failures, like I said this is one of the most neglected areas I have ever seen, if you have a tool to check fork parallel like this: http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0412/

You will see what I mean
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline sintax

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 12:03:05 PM »

this is pretty ghetto, but I did not have a hex that large, so I ended up sliding in the butt end of one of my breaker bars in there. It bit well on 4 of the sides and gave me what i needed to get the job done.

I have sense gotten a proper size hex bit...

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 12:46:11 PM »

Hey Don,
Thanks for posting the Pic, That looks production!
  Excellent Work.  I also have seen some Dastardly looking axles front and back.  For no other reason than lack of maintenance... Thanks for the response !
    Tuck\o/