Author Topic: How do you set the Powervalve lever?  (Read 2807 times)

Pinchy

How do you set the Powervalve lever?
« on: July 06, 2004, 07:41:46 PM »
Whats the proper way to set the powervalve arm that comes out the crankcase and slides the rack for the valves?

I just set mine so that if your facing the front of the engine look back towards the tail end its rotated fully clockwise so its pushing the arm all the way in.

Could it overshoot center like this or do I need to check the position of the valves by looking in the exhaust when you tighten the nut down?

Rick

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 05:12:16 AM »
Hmmm.  I'm not aware that there is more than one way to set the arm.  Can you take a picture so we can see?

Pinchy

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 07:49:37 AM »
Ok heres a Picture.
On mine the shaft isnt keyed so you could set the thing anywhere.

Sharc

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 08:22:02 AM »
I'm pretty sure you want the sliding shaft slid all the way out. Thats how I did my 2002 K5.

Rick

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 07:59:56 AM »
When the motor is off, the power valve activation shaft in the base of the cylinder should be all the way pushed in.  As the motor revs and RPM increases, the arm pulls the shaft outward and opens the power valves.  While I have never removed the arm from the clutch side cover, logic says you need to set the arm so the nipple slides into the activation shaft washer (for lack of a better term) without pulling the shaft outward at all.  This will ensure that at idle, you have proper seating of the power valve.

In reading your original post, I think you have the right idea.

Let us know how she runs.

Rick

Pinchy

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 05:41:56 PM »
Well thats how I set it after i rebuilt my motor. From looking at it , it seemed the only logical way as it revs it will pull the shaft out.

IIRC when you look at the valves you can see that the drums on the sides that cover the transfer ports can over-rotate just a slight little bit.
Im just wondering if pushing the shaft in till it stops and setting it there is right coz my pants are telling me that it might be just a grunt out of adjustment.

kawdude

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2004, 02:39:39 PM »
You can also play with the spacer washers on the mechanism itself.  this would tighten or loosen the spring so enagement would happen at different rpms.  I haven't touched it but know of some that have and I can't say that they knew what they were doing.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2004, 04:10:00 PM »
kawdude, I've kinda played with that idea, but, I only got bad idle and rough mid range. Even with little tweaking. With all the tweaking I had tried before the break, I'm pretty happy with the stock setting of the PV lever.

kawdude

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2004, 01:18:03 PM »
That's my opinion also.  I think it can be shimmed but I think if works fine stock.