Author Topic: 1999 KX500  (Read 3489 times)

Offline jtm60

1999 KX500
« on: August 15, 2011, 03:27:57 PM »
I just picked this bike up last week...long term plan is to get it street registered and supermoto it...its in really nice original condition, adult owned...I am third owner.  as far as i know and can tell it has been lightly trail ridden.

can't wait to dig into it...i rode it a little the other night, but it was late and im sure my neighbors didnt appreciate it!

it was kind of breaking up at part throttle settings, refused to clear out fully...not sure whether its bad gas/jettting or some combo..from what i have read here, the bikes are jetted pretty rich from the factory, so that is my thinking right now.

bike appears to be stock other than the graphics and fmf pipe/silencer...i have had other kx's in the past...125 and 250, but looking forward to playing with an open bike this time around!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Polar-Bus

Re: 1999 KX500
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 09:55:05 PM »
I just picked this bike up last week...long term plan is to get it street registered and supermoto it...its in really nice original condition, adult owned...I am third owner.  as far as i know and can tell it has been lightly trail ridden.

can't wait to dig into it...i rode it a little the other night, but it was late and im sure my neighbors didnt appreciate it!

it was kind of breaking up at part throttle settings, refused to clear out fully...not sure whether its bad gas/jettting or some combo..from what i have read here, the bikes are jetted pretty rich from the factory, so that is my thinking right now.

bike appears to be stock other than the graphics and fmf pipe/silencer...i have had other kx's in the past...125 and 250, but looking forward to playing with an open bike this time around!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

welcome ! Thats a CLEAN 500 you scored !  As for your part throttle "breaking up" sounds to me like a lean condition from either bad fuel or a dirty carb. This new E10 ethanol fuel is GARBAGE and causes major issues if left in your tank for extended periods. Drain that questionable fuel out, yank the carb for a good inspaction/cleaning and you should be all set.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 03:59:35 AM »
Hello JTM,
 Welcome to the site!  We have plenty for you to look through.  Alward has an ignition/generator system that puts out like 1.21 jigawatts or something, that should get you the juice you need for lights and battery et al. 
          There is plenty  in the SM thread about converting so hopefully there is enough info on the site to get you where you want to go.  The company ain't bad either! :-D
  Glad to have you with us,
          Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline jtm60

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 04:44:20 AM »
Thanks!  I will definitely start w fuel..previous owner was also running yamalube r at a pretty questionable ratio.  Im figuring i will need to rejet leaner..but dirty carb is what im figuring on.  I was thrilled to find a clean one to start with.  I saw the alward coil..like it but pricey..any other good ones to speak of?  Just trying to keep costs down..dont expect to be riding at night too much..just need to get legal.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 08:24:44 AM »
  I know there are a few other guys who plated their bikes on the site, but we'll need to search for a few links.
   Here's a bunch!  http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php?action=search2

Do you know what your state requires for plates?  That may be a good stepping off point.
    E-line, and Ricky Stator I'm pretty sure make a lighting coil and maybe Baja Designs.   
 The last I looked at Baja D. they wanted like $600 for a "Kit".  wiring, battery, lights, etc. 

I do remember reading on a CR 500 site one of the "tricks" to getting a plate was to register the bike as "Experimental".
The criteria was pretty vague, so getting by with the bare minimum was how I remember the author of the post put it.
  The DMV said he had to have a Highway Patrol check the lights horn turn signals etc and that was about it.
   Anyway, best of luck,
    Tuck\o/

Baja Designs https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/C-MCYCLE/MOTORCYCLE+PRODUCTS

Trick Dual sport kit   http://www.trickdualsport.com/

http://www.dualsportguys.com/
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 08:34:50 AM by Friar-Tuck »
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline jtm60

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 09:59:33 AM »
thanks for the links, I will do some reading tonite..actually, I think it should be pretty straightforward in Texas...think all I need is headlight and tail light, horn and 1 mirror...the tricky part for me is going to be getting a title for my bike..it came with a bill of sale, original title is lost somewhere...so I need to get that going.

this isnt going to be cheap I guess, between the lights and rims/tires, etc..so I guess I will be piecemealing it all together over time.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 10:59:43 AM »
thanks for the links, I will do some reading tonite..actually, I think it should be pretty straightforward in Texas...think all I need is headlight and tail light, horn and 1 mirror...the tricky part for me is going to be getting a title for my bike..it came with a bill of sale, original title is lost somewhere...so I need to get that going.

this isnt going to be cheap I guess, between the lights and rims/tires, etc..so I guess I will be piecemealing it all together over time.

Here's how I did my lighting conversion for short money !
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,6603.0.html
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline jtm60

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 12:46:29 PM »
polar-thanks for the link!!  nice work on your bike-that's what I am talking about!!

Your info is a great blueprint for me.  I have access to a machine shop, so milling that little plate shouldnt be a big deal at all.

Do you happen to know the moose part # for that lighting coil you used?  I seem to get a bunch of conflicting info...maybe moose used to make a couple different ones that fit the kx500?  I have seen some priced at around 80 bucks and others that were a couple hundred if i remember correctly.

And thanks to the others for the other links above, I have some reading to do!!  What a great site!!