Author Topic: Kx500 clutch hub broken  (Read 2315 times)

Offline Fireypoop

Kx500 clutch hub broken
« on: August 03, 2011, 01:05:50 AM »
Hello there as the title says I have broken my clutch hub and was wondering if anybody has tried to repair? The part I broke is one of the 6 pressure plate bolt mounts. I am hoping to drill out the bottom of the hub where it's broken and tap the threads all the way through the mount and bolt it in from the backside and coat it with loctite. Will this work as long as I balance out the additional weight? Also i would do every second one so it would be somewhat balanced.

Please help

Offline RoostiusMaximus

• Millar Racing Engines
Re: Kx500 clutch hub broken
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 02:43:49 AM »
I did exactly that with countersunk 8mm bolts on a cr500 basket to keep me going for a weekend, it stayed in the bike a year before i bought a new basket

Offline Fireypoop

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 03:05:57 AM »
That is what I was waiting for as long as it will hold for the rest of this season I will order a new hub which is only 80$ but that is 80$ I do not have right now

Offline alward25

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 04:23:15 AM »
Did the same to my quadzilla 15 years ago,  as far as I know,  it is still that way.  That was the day I learned I needed the right tool or a impact gun to remove my inner pressure plate. :-D. What a fun trip down memory lane that was.  The times you cussed the machine because it was not your fault it was built so cheap.  No fault of yours of course for not using the right tool :-P
Good luck
Alex
"Let there be light"

Offline sylvester

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 04:40:36 AM »
Try www.bikeboneyard.com she has used bikes and parts. I would be very careful with anything in the bottom end, a quick fix may cost big$ in the long run.

Offline Fireypoop

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 08:24:31 AM »
Nice to hear from my fellow ALWARD as we may not be related but share the last name. It was a stupid mistake but as it goes you learn from your mistake and this is my life, if anything can go wrong it most likely will. I'm riding it for the first time in 2 weeks and I do not want to test the day of.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 08:38:47 AM »
  Hey F.P.
  I'm pretty sure we have all "had to do, what we had to do"  at some  point in time.   A very good friend of mine did the same thing, probably trying to accomplish the same thing.  Repaired his bike the same way....6 years ago :-o

I also agree there is way too many things spinning around in there at a pretty good clip.
  I replaced the one I broke in a xr600 I had,   got the holding tool and haven't broken another one.
     Tuck\o/   

« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 04:27:38 AM by Friar-Tuck »
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 05:03:08 AM »
Hello there as the title says I have broken my clutch hub and was wondering if anybody has tried to repair? The part I broke is one of the 6 pressure plate bolt mounts. I am hoping to drill out the bottom of the hub where it's broken and tap the threads all the way through the mount and bolt it in from the backside and coat it with loctite. Will this work as long as I balance out the additional weight? Also i would do every second one so it would be somewhat balanced.

Please help

Very common problem. People WAY over torque the small 6mm bolts and snap them. People don't realize the bolt is specifically designed to "bottom out" in the bottom of the threaded hole while adding preload to the clutch spring. All's you need to do is run the bolt in till it stops, and just give them a good "snug" then STOP or you will easily snap the bolt.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 05:08:44 AM »

Please help

Very common problem. People WAY over torque the small 6mm bolts and snap them. People don't realize the bolt is specifically designed to "bottom out" in the bottom of the threaded hole while adding preload to the clutch spring. All's you need to do is run the bolt in till it stops, and just give them a good "snug" then STOP or you will easily snap the bolt.

yes ,  i turn it till it bottoms out and ever so slightly snug it up.
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50
2009 Harley super glide custom

Offline Fireypoop

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 06:57:39 PM »
Guess what? I did that already. There is only 12 days till I leave on the 18th for a mountain trip with a KTM 450 4 stroke and the obstacles that I have came across is retarded.

1. Finished checkin the clutch and why kickstarter does not engage 100%.
2. Waiting for the gaskets for the clutch and flywheel with new 14 oz weight.
3. Assemble clutch just to find out that the weight of a finger on my socket tightening my  pressure plate snaps the head off the bolt.
4. order new bolts, installed them, started bike and did not fix the kickstarter.
5. Took apart againjust to remove the clutch hub and broke the boss
6. Just ordered the clutch hub today. Hurray!!!! Will be in by Friday the 12th
7. Found real problem with kickstarter. So there is a full week to make sure that it works flawless.
8. Then I just started to assemble the MX carrier for a 2 inch receiver hitch from Costco and it's missing some parts.

At this point I'm feeling that the powers that be do not want me to ride. Also I have not even taken this for a small spin, I would like the KX god to let me finish this build so I can enjoy my green beast