Author Topic: No top end power  (Read 2844 times)

Offline ZETTNORCAL

No top end power
« on: August 01, 2011, 03:48:57 PM »
So I have a few K5's that I have not rode in years, and a 96 engine in a newer frame that I ride often.  I allways felt that the top end power was tame and that my CR5 was way more of a kick to ride.  Well just a few days ago I rode one of my old K5's and WOW that thing hits! It is nothing like my K5 conversion.   Could this be stuck power valves?  or Could it be the big dent that I had to make in the pipe to clear the water port on the cylinder?  The dent is past the biggest part of the pipe and it is allready slimming down at that point anyway...... What would make it have so much low end and great mid but lack on the peak.  Thanks

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
Re: No top end power
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 03:56:46 PM »

Pop the kips rod cover off  (Or more like Over)  and run it up to around 6 and see if your getting enough Movement.
  That should let you know if it's moving and how far.  :|
   Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 11:54:50 PM »
could be rich on mainjet or have full advance on stator.what pipe are you using? fmf gnarly woods pipe makes em behave like that, even when jetted correctly.K.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline ZETTNORCAL

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 12:48:04 AM »
I have the pro circut works made for a cr500. I have fooled with the jets too. 158 main up to a 178 think I settled with a 168. I was thinking that it might have somthing to do with the 4T KXF250 airbox and filter?  All of the main jetting changes seemed to have little effect. It certainly revs high and makes alot of noise just no power up there.

Motorrad

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 01:49:27 AM »
I have the pro circut works made for a cr500. I have fooled with the jets too. 158 main up to a 178 think I settled with a 168. I was thinking that it might have somthing to do with the 4T KXF250 airbox and filter?  All of the main jetting changes seemed to have little effect. It certainly revs high and makes alot of noise just no power up there.

Jets have little effect =

#1 Compression Test  whats her number...

#2 Leak down test...

Offline sylvester

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 02:13:52 AM »
I agree.... compression test is easy to check, and rule out. I would then go with Tuck's suggestion... sounds like exhaust valves sticking, stuck, govenor not pulling the rod out enough.
I had a 97 KX 250, that exhaust valve timing was difficult and critical... and the govenors were notorious for craping out.
Especially if you are not seeing any change with jetting.