Author Topic: Looking to see who would want a hinson billet clutch basket  (Read 18324 times)

Offline sniper1

Ok I started this thread in the upgrades section and found out that some members can't view that area of the forum so I moved it here and the man calling the shots at hinson said if interest was strong enough he would do a run of baskets for the k5.
Just an old guy that enjoys going fast, I was in the army for 6 years and bought my first K5 when I returned from basic training. I raced a yz60 from age 6 to 8  a kx80 from 8 to 12  a kx125 from 12-17 intermediate class on k5 which I've owned 3.

Offline Camo

• Dune Rider
Re: Looking to see who would want a hinson billet clutch basket
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 06:22:24 AM »
That would depend on price. Did he give you an estimate based on how many units sold?
2000 KX500
2004 KFX 800 Turbo Nitrous
2004 KFX 800 Nitrous
2006 KVF 730 Nitrous
2005 KVF 700
2011 KTM SX450F
2008 KTM SX 144
2007 KTM SX 85
2011 KTM SX 65
2007 KTM SX 50 Senior Pro
2004 Suzuki RM 65 (Kawie)
2008 Victory Hammer
2006 CBR1000

Offline Enginerd

• Big Bore Addict!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 08:58:59 AM »
That would depend on price.
Agreed.  If it was priced like other existing hinson baskets, I'd probably go for it.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 09:15:22 AM »
Count me in
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline sniper1

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 09:26:51 AM »
        He said it would be similar to the CR basket and since they still have all of the specs to make them it's more a matter of just programming the machine to cut them out, I will call and find out a solid number.

The manager didn't say anything about price being based on numbers wanted and I wish he had given me a solid number needed to make it worth their time I can't see them losing anything on this deal and if anything it makes their name all the better for doing it.

I explained to him that the euro guys have the talon and matika baskets and are not all that happy with them from what I've read so that could be a new market too with the super moto guys.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 09:29:06 AM by sniper1 »
Just an old guy that enjoys going fast, I was in the army for 6 years and bought my first K5 when I returned from basic training. I raced a yz60 from age 6 to 8  a kx80 from 8 to 12  a kx125 from 12-17 intermediate class on k5 which I've owned 3.

Offline Marco810

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 11:29:10 AM »
Im in, as long as they're not too expensive

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 12:15:21 PM »
bear with me... the listing for the mitaka basket states that the 90 -91 250 and the 86-04 500 mitaka basket is the same.... has anyone looked at a 90-91 hinson 250 basket to check? it may just fit too and that would solve a lot of problems..... although the mitaka is 7075 alloy and has lightened tangs so ought to be up to the task.K.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 12:28:35 PM »
also, when buying plates, the barnett kit has wider tabs on the friction plates to spread the load over a larger area which will help basket life.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 02:52:02 PM »
i bet a run of 100 or more.

Offline sniper1

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 04:26:25 PM »
bear with me... the listing for the mitaka basket states that the 90 -91 250 and the 86-04 500 mitaka basket is the same.... has anyone looked at a 90-91 hinson 250 basket to check? it may just fit too and that would solve a lot of problems..... although the mitaka is 7075 alloy and has lightened tangs so ought to be up to the task.K.

I noticed that the part number for the 250 and 500 are the same but when I asked on here was told that they are different but if they were the same then the pressure plate and inner hub would be available too so I was excited for .1 second :)

I think a run of 100 would satisfy the need and at around $260-300 that's a nice chunk of change for hinson to grab and if they made the inner hub and pressure plate they could really cash in on our need for speed.

Offline sniper1

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 02:41:16 PM »
        I think it's safe to say we won't be seeing a hinson basket with only half a dozen people interested but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 04:22:52 PM »
 Sorry Snipe,
  Yea it's a great Idea, Yess I would Love to have said I would buy one... However that would be telling you a story as there's no way I can see coming up with the cash.
  I kind of regret jumping in and looking up the link and all,  but it is a good Idea, and the do make good stuff. 

It has only been a few days, and I haven't seen alot of traffic as of late, there may be some more guys chime in.
           And there are other sites that surely would also be interested, but I haven't been a part of their discussions for some time now.

You took the time to do the legwork and that is commendable. 
   Members like yourself is what keeps this place above all the petty flame and argue fest you can find at 99% of the other sites.   So please don't be discouraged.
                 Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Motorrad

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 04:39:43 PM »
Keep in mind.. there are only a handfull of guys that actually are Posters on this site....    If you watch the user list, we have LOTS  Of Lurkers...

Offline sniper1

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 04:27:51 AM »
LOL that's hilarious :) needed a laugh right about now and I'm hoping we can get at least 50 people interested in a basket and the manager at hinson said he was going to do some online research too so he's looking into it or said he is.

Thanks tuck :) I've been on diesel hotrod forums where it's all fighting nothing gets done everyone hates each other and the gun forums make me want to shoot everyone lol, I worked with our armor on all military weapons for 6 years and some of the morons made me just leave the sites.

I won't even go into all of the wannabe snipers out there that think they are a sniper or want to make the 1000 yard shot so they can be a sniper jeez it's brutal and those guys fight more than the diesel guys about everything.

No shame in not being able to toss $300 out there for a basket and my wife has me waiting on this years crops to do much else other than a basket and that is pushing it now that she busted me putting just about all our cash out there on this new home and now I have to come up with another $6000 to get everything hooked up and setup so fun fun fun.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 04:34:12 AM by sniper1 »

Offline 2-Stroke Tom

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 06:18:39 AM »
If it helps, I would be interested in buying one. I really appreciate all your effort with this sniper1.