Author Topic: Gearing and suspension setup  (Read 3828 times)

Zombie

Gearing and suspension setup
« on: March 05, 2003, 10:30:13 AM »
Im planning to get a used '94 KX 500, and I would like some input on setup for my local track (the last 500 I had was an 85, and that was about 10 years ago). I know Ill need the 40kg/mm springs, and possibly a heavier rear spring (6' 4"/200) and the track is half high-speed GP type and half tight supercross style. I know nothing will touch me on the GP section, but what about gearing for the supercross section? The fastest GP section allows other bikes to use up 4th before they get on the brakes, but those are rev-to-the-moon YZFs. :x  :x  Im thinking of using 14/50 gearing.  (I havent asked others about their gearing- yet.) As far as suspension goes, where can I get the 40 kg springs? What suspension changes give the most improvement? Is an Ohlins shock worth the money? What oil level any weight? (when I last raced, I was in the Open Pro class)  This bike has a lot more to set up than my old 85, so any advice would be helpful!

-Z

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2003, 08:59:36 AM »
Your 200lbs and going to put the bike on the track with .40 fronts... NOT a good idea, I'm 195 now and run a .46 front (about $70 a set from the Monkey), Maxima Zero Drag 7wt @ 90MM and I run a 5.4 rear shock spring (about $80 from the Monkey) with Maxima Fade Free medium. Those .40 are for 160 or so pounds.

Rick

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2003, 01:59:17 AM »
It's always confused me why they put such light springs up front, and a spring off a 3/4 truck in the rear.  I, too, have swapped the fronts, but only went to .43 springs.  I will probably go higher for the 2004 season, as I think this is the way to go.  Like Paul, I opted for the 5.4 in the rear, and I weigh in at around 195 lbs just out of the shower... :oops:

Rick

Sharc

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2003, 02:42:50 AM »
I'm 5'10" 215 and running 0.43 front and stock 5.6 rear. Works great. I got a revalve from ACME racing front and rear and it's the best ride I've ever had (on a bike...). I'd do the front springs first, the revalve front and rear, and the rear spring last if you're on a budget....And shop parts at the Monkey. Cool guys, good prices...

And while you have your wallet out, get an FMF Gnarly, Moose reed spacer, 10 oz flywheel weight, and a V-Force Rad valve and you'll have one sick 4-stroke eater...

teamgreen500

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2003, 04:48:42 AM »
Like I've said before,

The folks at Pro-Circuit have THE relationship with Kawi and they've figured out just about EVEYTHING on the KX500. Jim "Bones" Bacon is a KX500 GURU...on top of that...he's in-charge of suspension.

The neat thing about P/C is that they make the geometry better (Link-rods) AND the suspension TOP-NOTCH. They helped to create the AMA legal Works KYB kits (Well, nowadays you can run whatever million dollar set-up you want...so much for production rules...) and they have several different set-ups for variouse riding needs.

All I can say is that I love to let my friends ride my "Old-Tech KX" and continuously ask me,"Why does it handle so "Light'?" or "Yeah, but they don't handle like that stock...that must be some trick stuff..."

NOT!

The facts: You send it off to P/C and tell'em you want your stuff done...I recm'd you have'em set it up for off-road; BUT, firm enough for MX...they'll ask a few Q's and you answer them, tell them your riding ability (Be honest...) and a week later....the UPS guy drops off suspension and rods that make your bike feel and handle like it only weighs 150#s.

ACME does do nice work. I've riden a few well built KX500/YZ450 Desert rigs with his stuff and I've got nothin' but good to say about 'em; However, my bike seems to have more "SLAM-ABILITY" for some reason. On the other hand this may just be a more progressive damping/spring rate; because I've never had an ACME bike "Bottom-out" hard, either.

I'd have to say that I'd go with P/C for a modern firm bike and maybe with ACME for a straight-up desert rig that you want to be real plush.

Just my opinion,

Manny

P.S....you don't need any Hi-$ Triple clamps...just get some BRP Handlebar clamps and new grommets (I think the BRPs come with them) and you'll think you've bought a new front end! And, lube those steering-head bearings while you're at it, linkage too, for that matter...Hey, wait a tic...I've got my motor out...I need to put my grease where my moutn is!