Author Topic: Just a question...  (Read 6568 times)

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: Just a question...
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 04:39:24 AM »
Well, I hate to admit it but I do change my oil after every ride.
Yes, I clean my air filter after every ride.
I only change my radiator fluid once a year.
But, I only ride every other month so cost is not an issue.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline don46

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 06:31:07 AM »
One guy I bought from had about 1500 in receipts for his complete engine overhaul (top and bottom end).
It was done a month previous to our purchase and was suppose to have about an hours worth of riding.
When we pulled the engine apart we found the piston was heavily galled due to excessive side play in the crank.
It appeared as though there were some new seals installed along with a new piston and rings.
The cylinder appeared to be the stock plating that had been ball honed.
The guy who I bought the bike from actually called me back a few weeks later to see how I liked the condition of the engine.
When I told him what I found he said "No way!"
He drove over and I showed him.
He was really stunned.
He wanted to sue the company that did the work.
So, when I buy a bike that says new top or bottom end....... needless to say, I am a skeptic......

Sounds Like when I took My "Stewart" motor appart...... (except I wish it was only $1500)  :lol:

Sorry... I couldnt Resist....   

Ill go back to being quiet about the ordeal again..

honestly, this site is NOT a better place for Stewart not being here, I haven't said much about this whole ordeal and this is all I'm going to say. Stewart was always offering his knowledge and insight for free, you don't find that anymore, everything is for sale now. defineately a different place, BDI, Hillclimb42, Jfab all gone, even I frequent the site much less than I did before. So while I know many of you have issues, and I truly feel for you, I really hate to see this continue, there is no point to continue to bring this up, get over it and move on.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 06:36:51 AM »
Well, I hate to admit it but I do change my oil after every ride.
Yes, I clean my air filter after every ride.
I only change my radiator fluid once a year.
But, I only ride every other month so cost is not an issue.

i change my oil after every ride too, and i dont clean my air filter after every ride, i clean it when it looks dirty , im not talking dirty like it looked like there was a birds nest in my air box.
but i was saying that people claim that they buy a NEW air filter after EVERY ride
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50
2009 Harley super glide custom

Offline cbmoor

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 06:40:58 AM »
I must admit bikes that are being raced are the best looked after usually. My kx5 gets a clean air filter every ride what I mean is every meeting it goes to and I change the gearbox oil every third outing and the fourstroke is the same change the air filter every meeting engine oil every meeting and the oil filter and gearbox oil every 3rd meeting. It is funny when you see adverts never raced when I think bikes that are raced are better looked after. Well I know mine is as I want it to last at a meeting and the next etc....
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 06:43:17 AM by cbmoor »

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 06:48:22 AM »
I must admit bikes that are being raced are the best looked after usually. My kx5 gets a clean air filter every ride what I mean is every meeting it goes to and I change the gearbox oil every third outing and the fourstroke is the same change the air filter every meeting engine oil every meeting and the oil filter and gearbox oil every 3rd meeting. It is funny when you see adverts never raced when I think bikes that are raced are better looked after. Well I know mine is as I want it to last at a meeting and the next etc....

i agree with the race bikes being up to snuff all the time, i was reading a motocross magazine a minute ago and it says the honda factory bike gets the suspension torn down and rebuilt after 2 races, motor torn right down after a race weekend,
new clutch everyday  ...  and you get my drift... i bet (i know) that those race bikes are worth a fortune
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50
2009 Harley super glide custom

Offline bigtwin100

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 07:56:26 AM »

i agree with the race bikes being up to snuff all the time, i was reading a motocross magazine a minute ago and it says the honda factory bike gets the suspension torn down and rebuilt after 2 races, motor torn right down after a race weekend,
new clutch everyday  ...  and you get my drift... i bet (i know) that those race bikes are worth a fortune
This is not true all the time. I bought a 96 CR250 from a top running MX expert in 97. This expert owned a very reputable suspension company here on the East coast. It was the worst bike I've owned. Everything was hammered and it became obvious a couple rides later. DO NOT assume because it's a race bike that it is in good condition and was taken care of. Don't kid yourself, most of them had the living snot beaten out of them and that is why they are getting a new race bike.

Offline cbmoor

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2011, 08:26:12 PM »
That proberly may be true with top guys their bikes are more hammered and thrashed but I race at local club level and it amazing how you see as the bikes get older they are sold within the club as people know the bikes and see how they are looked after and i still would consider a bike thats been raced rather than  just used as field bike not raced