Author Topic: First batch of parts just came in :)  (Read 25676 times)

Offline Polar-Bus

Re: First batch of parts just came in :)
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2011, 09:55:37 PM »
Nothing more gratifying that admiring your hard work restoring a bike to as new condition. SWEET looking 500 !
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline sniper1

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2011, 05:37:38 AM »
       Thanks bus and it's nice having folks around to help out when we get in a jam ;)

New Gaerne SG10s just came in and they fit perfectly with awesome protection and great feedback from the controls I used to buy the cheaper boots back in the day and always paid for it somewhere along the line it was tough pulling the trigger on these boots at the price they wanted but I'm too old for the hospital with broken ankles or feet.

The sizing on these boots is perfect I wear a 10 regular in everything from combat boots to running shoes and these boots fit just right everywhere but I tried a pair on at the local shop and ordered online saving over $110 so good deal there.

I also noticed that the left boot has a nice slim profile for shifting and I didn't have to raise the shifter.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 08:39:00 AM by sniper1 »
Just an old guy that enjoys going fast, I was in the army for 6 years and bought my first K5 when I returned from basic training. I raced a yz60 from age 6 to 8  a kx80 from 8 to 12  a kx125 from 12-17 intermediate class on k5 which I've owned 3.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2011, 06:53:01 AM »
       Thanks bus and it's nice having folks around to help out when we get in a jam ;)

New Gaerne SG10s just came in and they fit perfectly with awesome protection and great feedback from the controls I used to buy the cheaper boots back in the day and always paid for it somewhere along the line it was tough pulling the trigger on these boots at the price they wanted but I'm too old for the hospital with broken ankles or feet.

The sizing on these boots is perfect I wear a 10 regular in everything from combat boots to running shoes and these boots fit just right everywhere but I tried a pair on at the local shop and ordered online saving over $110 so good deal there.

I also noticed that the left boot has a nice slim profile for shifting and I didn't have to raise the shifter.

Too funny I have the same boots. Excellent boot, and a price that won't drain your wallet. 
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1

Offline sniper1

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2011, 08:43:44 AM »
        So you already know how great these boots feel and it feels like my ankles are in a cast but they have the hinge system so walking and shifting is a breeze I'm glad I went this route I almost got cheap on my body which would cost me later lol.

New kenda 130-80-19 is mounted with dual tusk rim locks and michelin extra heavy tube so I can run it almost flat without any problems and the tusk rim locks have much better gripping surface to them and extra protection for your tube a nice piece and the tusk rim lock covers.

Nice and beefy the biggest 19" tire you can buy that is great for soft terrain and DOT legal but I was told by the shop that the tire companies are phasing out the 19" tire selection which was thin already.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 10:19:34 AM by sniper1 »
Just an old guy that enjoys going fast, I was in the army for 6 years and bought my first K5 when I returned from basic training. I raced a yz60 from age 6 to 8  a kx80 from 8 to 12  a kx125 from 12-17 intermediate class on k5 which I've owned 3.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2011, 12:31:41 AM »
Cripes, that is one gorilla of a tire ! The chain doesn't hit the knobs ? Keep an eye on this.

When I run ice screws on my 120 rear tire, the chain slightly rubs the screws....
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1

Offline sniper1

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2011, 02:17:13 PM »
         It's 130/80-19 and it's about .5" from the chain but I have a BRP chain guide on the way that is supposed to reduce chain lash so hoping it doesn't rub with that installed. Thanks for the heads up and it is a beast I took it for my first ride today and the bike spun like crazy on my road with the other tire which was at 50% life left and this new tire is like finding 5hp it grabs like no tomorrow and makes going through sand a joke but the guy at bike bandit told me this tire is very popular with the desert guys it acts like a paddle the way the knobs are designed and the rubber is like a rock but doesn't chunk off according to all of the reviews but we'll see :)

Great soft terrain tire and no knobby dance on the street I'm very happy after 30 miles on the street and a tank of gas in soft sand and dirt roads. I like the peace of mind the tusk rim locks give me too I had an extra rim lock thrown on while they were at it and the tusk are a much better design that the stock rim locks they are much easier on your tube even though I have the extra heavy michelin tube in it.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 02:39:09 PM by sniper1 »

Offline sniper1

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2011, 02:23:02 PM »
Hey Sniper,
Well Done Sir!   
  She'll look better than new in no time at this pace.   
   Keep up the good work.
    Tuck\o/

Thanks friar I have new EBC brake pads ordered and a BRP chain guide plus a bunch of other stuff and I'm almost ready to get the suspension redone.

If anyone is looking for a bigger tire that really performs well in soft terrain here is a link and I paid $55 plus shipping but I ended up with free shipping for ordering a lot of parts that I needed anyway. I can't comment on durability but it does hook and the knobs are extremely hard so they bite in good and after some rough riding on the street no chunking after 30 mile.

http://www.bikebandit.com/kenda-k778-enduro-motorcycle-tire

« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 02:54:27 PM by sniper1 »

Offline sniper1

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2011, 04:45:58 PM »
         Yall think my tractor is sexy? just kidding and I'm considering making a few double jumps and table tops around the outside of the back 50 but I have to be careful that when friends start coming over to ride they don't destroy my hay but I have excellent rolling hills for natural jumps and huge step ups would be possible.

Anyone else use one of these race gas cans? they fill you up super fast and stop when full so 2.6 gallons in about 10 seconds and you are done. Also in the picture is the new MSR chain slider and new OEM axle blocks.

The gas can behind my race can is a 5 gallon also and they are on sale at NAPA for $8 right now they are super thick and don't distort when sitting in the heat I grabbed 4 of them for my race fuel so I can travel to the dunes and not pay $13 a gallon for 106 at the dunes I get 110 for $7 a gallon just down the road.

Keiti billet gas cap has a heavy rubber gasket and short vented tube that only allows air to go in not out so I can tip the bike on it's side and it will not leak unlike the stock cap and the long tube I had to deal with and it looks nice I think.

On order I have a sidewinder titanium sprocket set and nickel plated smart chain from krause racing I went with the 14 front and 49 rear with 120 link so I have a couple extra links and can move the tire all the way back for paddle tire that way no rubbing up front.

I ordered all the chain tools from motion pro so I'll be ready to roll when the BRP chain guide gets here I'll throw the slider and everything else on at the same time.

I keep saying I'm done with the bike and am going for suspension but I keep seeing things I have to have and now I'm looking at bars and BRP mounts with ASV leverls and motion pro cables lord help me a divorce is looming lol. I still have $1500 in suspension to tackle and MSR racing which is owned by matt crown is going to put aftermarket links to lower the rear a bit and go hog wild on forks and rear shock.

Matt crown from MCR sponsors travis pastrana was a pro rider for 20 years and worked for some big names in racing back in the day

http://www.mcrsuspension.com/index.htm

He said for $1500 the bike will handle perfectly and at MCR they have a monster track right on site so you can ride and hit the jumps tehn they tweak it before you ever leave with the bike unless you send your suspension in.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 04:55:04 PM by sniper1 »

Offline sniper1

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2011, 05:43:10 AM »
        New axle came in today and I was out in the back 50 when the brown truck came so this was a nice surprise, we put drain pipe in today due to a 1 acre low spot that keeps flooding out so no more flooding :)

The old axle looks like it went through a war and maybe the previous owner hit it with a hammer or used the wrong sized wrench but in any case I didn't like it and the castle nut was thrashed too so I got a new one.

New EBC brakes pads came today along with new bolts for chain slider but I'm waiting on stainless steel brake lines to come in before changing them out and sidewinder titanium sprockets 14/49 are on the way along with a smart chain from krause so I'll just do it all at the same time.

I have motion pro clutch and brake lines on the way and ASV C6 pro clutch lever and perch along with the C6 brake lever on the way along with devol skid plate and rear caliper guard should be here soon and G2 ergonomics throttle tube too and new pro taper pillow top grips coming and all the tools for breaking chains and pressing master links on. I ordered a bunch of other stuff that I can't remember right now I just went nuts buying things thursday night.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2011, 07:13:49 AM »
EBC's are a decent pad, but make sure you get the "HH" sintered pads. The Organic compound pads suck balls. They couldn't slow down a bicycle let alone a rip snortin' KX500... The best pads are the mid 90's Honda CR pads. Great stopping power !
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1

Offline sniper1

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2011, 09:50:50 AM »
            They are the EBC-MXS pads so I hope they are the good ones

http://motorcycle.motorcycle-superstore.com/search#w=ebc+mxs

I checked with bikebandit and they had good reviews too but if they suck then I'm sending them right back because I spoke with one of their expert riders that said they stopped on a dime and I have his name so the story can't change.

I have these coming too

http://www.bikebandit.com/galfer-msr-brake-line-kit?mg=4946&t=1&td=1

Front and rear stainless MSR brake lines with clear plastic coating on them

I ordered new brake parts from bandit too so I can freshen the calipers up and moose stainless pins with 8mm head instead of allen heads.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2002-kawasaki-kx500/o/m3853

I love the way they have their site set up you can order OEM then check if aftermarket is available.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 09:57:38 AM by sniper1 »

Offline sniper1

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2011, 01:38:45 PM »
ASV C6 pro clutch lever with perch and ASV C6 pro brake lever with barnett heavy clutch springs, stainless brake lines with plastic coating on them, pro taper pillow top grips, titanium sprocket bolts.

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2011, 01:55:54 PM »
good stuff!  :-o
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50
2009 Harley super glide custom

Offline sniper1

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2011, 10:33:49 PM »
Thanks :) I cleaned the caliper up real good and am waiting for a few parts for the caliper to finish up and the stainless brake line is on but they sent me the wrong front line :( then EBC pads will go on and a whole pile of stuff coming the next 3 days :)

Offline sniper1

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2011, 01:12:10 PM »

Boyeson ignition cover, BRP zero drag chain block, G2 aluminum throttle tube nylon lined, no toil airbbbbox cover motion pro chain break,, motion pro master link press, motion pro alignment tool.

The rear galfer brake line was right but the front was the wrong line so I have to wait for the correct line to show up :(
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 01:14:21 PM by sniper1 »