Author Topic: First batch of parts just came in :)  (Read 25668 times)

Offline sniper1

First batch of parts just came in :)
« on: May 13, 2011, 02:14:52 PM »
         I decided to freshen up a few things on the bike and customize it to my riding style and the first batch arrived with the next batch coming on monday :)

I'll get everythng installed tomorrow then if the rest shows up monday I'll have it all done by wednesday of next week then it's off to the suspension shop for $1,500 worth of suspension I love it when a plan comes together. The engine work and complete tear down with new powdercoating of the frame and freshening everything else will be the winter project.

In the picture the only things missing is the 3/4" low ceet foam and O-ring chain and steel sprockets boyeson covers right and left and avs clutch and brake levers motion pro cables which are all coming on monday I hope.

Here are the parts in the picture

gnarly pipe
gripper seat cover
twin air filter and oil
billet gas cap
IMS pro pegs
moose spacer
boyeson dual stage reeds

new boot for reeds (I don't care for the rad valve my old kx500 would get reed flutter at the dunes and when hot lost power plus without reed stops I would suck a reed from time to time) I decided to go with stock reed cage and just boyeson reeds but the boot had cracks in it from age so dry rot would be the correct term.

My modified 304 silencer that only sticks out 2" past the number plate so I think this will look great with the 250 rear fender on there.
500 piece nut/bolt/washer kit
fmf pipe springs with seals
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 02:23:32 PM by sniper1 »
Just an old guy that enjoys going fast, I was in the army for 6 years and bought my first K5 when I returned from basic training. I raced a yz60 from age 6 to 8  a kx80 from 8 to 12  a kx125 from 12-17 intermediate class on k5 which I've owned 3.

Offline Rooster452

Re: First batch of parts just came in :)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 02:30:57 PM »
Have fun!

Offline sniper1

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 07:43:23 PM »
        Thanks rooster and it was tough not to go for my suspension work first but that would mean missing out on a couple weeks of riding right now when it's all brand new so I will wait until the new affect has shrunk down a bit :)

I'm thinking about that 4 crush washer deal still on the fence.
Just an old guy that enjoys going fast, I was in the army for 6 years and bought my first K5 when I returned from basic training. I raced a yz60 from age 6 to 8  a kx80 from 8 to 12  a kx125 from 12-17 intermediate class on k5 which I've owned 3.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 11:44:15 PM »
         I decided to freshen up a few things on the bike and customize it to my riding style and the first batch arrived with the next batch coming on monday :)

I'll get everythng installed tomorrow then if the rest shows up monday I'll have it all done by wednesday of next week then it's off to the suspension shop for $1,500 worth of suspension I love it when a plan comes together. The engine work and complete tear down with new powdercoating of the frame and freshening everything else will be the winter project.

In the picture the only things missing is the 3/4" low ceet foam and O-ring chain and steel sprockets boyeson covers right and left and avs clutch and brake levers motion pro cables which are all coming on monday I hope.

Here are the parts in the picture

gnarly pipe
gripper seat cover
twin air filter and oil
billet gas cap
IMS pro pegs
moose spacer
boyeson dual stage reeds

new boot for reeds (I don't care for the rad valve my old kx500 would get reed flutter at the dunes and when hot lost power plus without reed stops I would suck a reed from time to time) I decided to go with stock reed cage and just boyeson reeds but the boot had cracks in it from age so dry rot would be the correct term.

My modified 304 silencer that only sticks out 2" past the number plate so I think this will look great with the 250 rear fender on there.
500 piece nut/bolt/washer kit
fmf pipe springs with seals

Do you have the stock Kawi pipe ? I am interested in buying it if it's in clean condition. I have an FMF that my bike came with and it's rusted and looks like $hit. Kawi OEM pipes have a super tough ceramic type coating.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline sniper1

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 01:43:32 PM »
           I don't have the stock one bus, this is the one that came on my bike.

It's a pro circuit pipe.

Offline sniper1

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 08:16:24 AM »
           A couple more items came in today my bike stand and ceet foam came in and I finally have all of the new parts installed including the new silencer which I think looks way better shortened up now I'll wait for the silicone to cure and see how it sounds with video so others can hear how loud it is.

The ceet foam is the short foam so it will meet with the rear fender much better than the tall foam I have on the seat now and the ceet foam is much more dense than the stock foam so I won't miss the padding at all it might be better than the stock foam even being shorter.

The stand is from summit racing and has a 350lb limit and fits under the bike perfect without having to lift it at all then it raises to 36" for working on it standing or from a chair it was $150 delivered to my door if anyone is interested so now I wait on UPS or fedex to bring me the next batch of parts which should be here by weeks end then the bike will be the way I want it until suspension time next month.

I had to send my IMS pro pegs back they were in bad shape with rust and pitting on the polished area and I know that pegs take abuse and end up looking rough after hard riding but for $90 they better be perfect when I first get them.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 08:28:31 AM by sniper1 »

Offline sniper1

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 05:21:55 AM »
         Just thought I would give a sop report on how the bike performs with all the parts installed and the first test ride under my belt.

I put the pro series boyeson reeds in the bike with stock reed stops because I had rad valves in the past they always lost performance when the bike was real hot and at wot it would get reed flutter even sucking a reed or chipping them from time to time so that's why I went with the stock reed cage and the boyesons

I also added the gnarly pipe to the bike.

I put a moose spacer on with a twin air filter went over all controls adjusted and lubed everything tightened everything down and the short silencer of course is part of the deal. I also installed the IMS pro pegs and for anyone on the fence they install in 10 minutes and are the most comfortable thing I've ever felt on a bike not to mention the sharp pegs give you a ton of contol over the bike on the ground and in the air.

I took the carb apart and set the float cleaned it real good so everything was ready to go.

It pulled a lot harder on the bottom all the way through the gears and in 5th the bike didn't have the snap it does now the throttle response is much better I can twist the throttle now with instant response no bogging or hesitation.

I know this is sop but I know the throttle response is much improved as is top end for whatever reason it just flys and I never thought it would run out of pull in 5th wide open down the road so all in all much happier with the bike and it has a worn tire on the back too so I am fixing that on monday I have a new tire coming with heavy innertube. 130/80-19 soft terrain coming

I mounted my moose spacer on the carb side instead of the engine side because I wanted more mid to top with the gnarly and the k5 power I don't know how much more bottom is really usable even with the worn rear tire it will keep the front end up through the gears on a soft dirt road.

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 05:37:43 AM »
i am interested in getting those ims pegs for my bike, are they really worth the money?
how much did they cost you and where did you get them?
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50
2009 Harley super glide custom

Offline sniper1

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 12:13:51 PM »
       The IMS pegs are one of the best aftermarket items I've ever added to a k5 and the IMS pro are much better for staying on the pegs and controlling the bike but it's the most stable and comfortable feeling I've had on a bike and wish I had done this to my last k5 back in 01.

I got them from

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/10/210/6386/DPITEM/Dirt-Bike-Motocross-Footpegs-IMS-Pro-Series-Footpegs.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

$91 shipped they are stainless and polished around the sides nice looking and I added new pins and springs and cotter keys while I was at it.

I put the fx gripper seat cover and new low ceet foam on today it's my first try at seat foam and covers it came out pretty good I think nice and tight no problems and this cover is waaaay better than the stock slippery seat cover and the ceet brand foam is much denser and softer to sit on even though it's 3/4" shorter than stock.

The mess

New seat cover and foam it meets the rear fender much better being 3/4" shorter too I like it :)

I set the sag on this bike today and put it at 100mm where it belongs or 3.9" it was at 5.5 inches way too soft  but at 230 with gear I might be out of the range of this spring but I'm addressing the suspension next month with the works I'm too heavy with gear for these springs but the wife isn't going to go for $1500 bucks after all this fun I'm having I don't think a flea market visit for her will get me out of this one :)

« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 12:26:22 PM by sniper1 »

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 12:35:24 PM »
nice seat! heres the seat i am putting on my bike soon. the seat underneath.

. the tecnosel seat has a messed up mounting slot but i can fix that
by screwing a door hinge to the bottom.  sandblaster showed me a pic of the hinge

here is sandblasters picture of one of his seats

bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50

Offline sniper1

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 12:39:35 PM »
       That's a d**ned nifty trick never seen that done before :) with these bikes it pays to be creative if it doesn't vibrate it to death things get damaged it's the nature of the beast.

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 12:42:34 PM »
gotta do what you gotta do to get things to work
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50

Offline sniper1

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 12:47:53 PM »
        I agree and what did you think of how loud the short silencer is?

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 12:49:30 PM »
        I agree and what did you think of how loud the short silencer is?

wasnt too loud but it sounded awesome!
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50

Offline sniper1

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 12:51:35 PM »
         I liked the way it popped too and I'll try again once the new packing shows up but I don't see it going over the decible max of 94 at the dunes and some riding spots that test for noise now :( like the 4 strokes aren't loud? they are way louder in my opinion.