Author Topic: MONUMENT TO THE 2-STROKE, PART 2 - FINAL ASSEMBLY  (Read 24565 times)

Offline delphipro5

MONUMENT TO THE 2-STROKE, PART 2 - FINAL ASSEMBLY
« on: May 05, 2011, 02:33:23 PM »
 :evil: WELCOME  :evil: This will take about a week before it really starts to get good. Waiting for my frame back and a final round of parts I ordered.
This thread will have the finish out of the build.  :wink:

Offline Good

• Yo.
Re: MONUMENT TO THE 2-STROKE, PART 2 - FINAL ASSEMBLY
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 03:03:13 AM »
It's good that you went with the Platinum 2.  It is claimed that the 2 made 3 more hp at 7k RPM than everything else.  I've never seen proof of this, but this is what someone with a dyno used to claim, so I'm just relaying that information.

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 12:13:37 PM »
STILL WAITING! Need to get my frame back from coaters and some parts are taking longer than expected to arrive. BUT I need to get the mess in my shop cleaned up first anyway. So maybe it's a good thing. I think that Pro-circuit may be planning on stopping production of pipes for this bike(Out of stock, no expected arrival date. Don't sound too good!).... So get em while you can guys! :cry: What are they using for a pipe on the service honda bikes? Can you get(buy) them?

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 10:24:36 AM »
Got my plat. 2 pipe from MOTOSPORT today NOT P. Circuit. I gotta say I do not think I will ever try to buy anything directly from p. circuit ever again. Bad service practices, Way too picky about online security(card problems+need to sign for package?? ups just leaves the stuff in my garage.) And they rip you on shipping!(Why use FedEx for something that will fit in a USPS Flat Rate Box??) And I think they are just about done with the 2t's. They acted like they really did not care about serving me at all. SO I guess it is time to start looking elsewhere, like FMF. But motosport treated me great, they had the pipe in stock and here it is. I just hope it fits!!

Getting the frame+parts back tomorrow, have pics of it then. NOW WE START FINAL ASSEM.  :-D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 10:26:19 AM by delphipro5 »

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 08:47:07 AM »
Got the engine lined up in the frame and tourqed. It looks ok, I'm not too thrilled with the p.coat job. It is VERY HARD to find a reputable powdercoater in my area! I wish I did not jump the gun! I called factory connection and asked them who did the coat job on the spring on the shock, and they gave me the name of the place that does all the p.coat for them! Unfortunatley this was AFTER I had already dropped it off to these guys! SUCK! From now on I will only use a coater I REALLY feel comfortable with. This coat job was junk. AND the guy that did the s.blasting was supposed to be a "bike guy" but he blasted the chrome off the mating surface of the pipe, and the machined oil grooves on the rear brake stud! There is dust all over the black parts too! JUNK!! :|
(Not the right color!)
(Little spray misses everywhere on the frame too!)
(Chrome mating surface gone!)

(Dust all over the black parts!)
(Not much of a match!)
(Pipe looks good though.)
(Now I need to fix that crack!)

NUTS!!

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 08:50:04 AM »

There it sits!!  :-o

And there HE sits!! lazy mutt's watching TV! :lol:

Motorrad

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 04:20:13 PM »
I hope they didn't charge you for that job...

Offline greylynn

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 04:58:20 PM »
Not trying to pee pee on your parade any more than has already fallen on you, but that is a pretty diappointing looking powdercoat job...to put it lightly.  After you went through all the work to strip it down and go that far on the tear down, you want it done right the first time.  Are you going to leave it like that?  Sorry it came out crappy hope you get it done right looks like it will be a sick project.

Grey

Offline sniper1

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 06:25:20 PM »
       Wow sorry to hear that you got hosed, I know what it's like to expect something and then want to get going on it then someone doesn't do their part.

It looks like he gave you almost a ford powder blue when you wanted a majestic candy blue I had the same thing happen to all my powdercoating on my truck driveshafts were wrong so was anti sway bar.

Wrong color too light this is ford powder blue

Should be this color so I feel you and had almost the same color issue.

My experience with a bad powdercoater is that they will just tell you to sue them and not take care of their mistake.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 06:27:20 PM by sniper1 »
Just an old guy that enjoys going fast, I was in the army for 6 years and bought my first K5 when I returned from basic training. I raced a yz60 from age 6 to 8  a kx80 from 8 to 12  a kx125 from 12-17 intermediate class on k5 which I've owned 3.

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 12:16:24 AM »
Unfortunatley you are all right with what you have to say. I am not happy with the coat job at all,(worst coat job I have ever seen!) it is totally screwed and def NOT the color I was looking for.
But at this point I have not got the time to get it done right. I am going to put it together as is to break the engine in and dial all the fancy parts I have. And try to get some riding in this season. Now that I know what I know, and have the #'s to some guys that can do this work at the level I am looking to have it done, I am not worried. I know that next fall when the snow starts to fly again, I can pull this whole thing apart and have it done the way I really want it done. Engine work, P.coat all of it. I am finding things that are slight causes for concern. But at this point all I can do is get it back together and hope it does not go BOOM! And if it does then that gives me the reason to do the rebuild myself next time! THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP AND INFO this build would not exist without this site.

And yes they charged me $290.00 for the s.blast,p.coat job! :x :x  But I am not even going to call them ever again. They have already wrecked my frame and pipe and getting my $$ back won't change that. I feel it was the price I had to pay to learn this game too. my own damb stoopid fault!
Also by the look of it, they need the $$ a LOT more than I do!!

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 12:17:22 AM »
Lets just skip all that bull and get to the good stuff! P. coat will get fixed later!

Offline sniper1

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 04:06:41 AM »
            LOL now that's the right attitude skip the bull and get to the good stuff :) the best thing to do is just not use them again and warn others but I have been looking forward to seeing your bike come together since I joined this site and would love to take on such a project but it's a tad out of my ability so I'll live vicariously through your project.
Just an old guy that enjoys going fast, I was in the army for 6 years and bought my first K5 when I returned from basic training. I raced a yz60 from age 6 to 8  a kx80 from 8 to 12  a kx125 from 12-17 intermediate class on k5 which I've owned 3.

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 12:07:55 PM »
Thank's for noticing! :-)
This is gonna go together as quick as I can make it happen, without screwing it up! no cut corners if I can help it! It's tough to work in and around this project too sometimes! The shop get's pretty messed up with REAL WORK!  :-D You know the kind that brings $$ in the door... instead of making it go out! :lol: Luckily we have been getting fair work latley, but summer is here and for some reason it's always slow in the summer... less $$, but more time to RIDE! :evil:

Offline sniper1

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 12:32:10 PM »
        Yep :) always get the bills paid first and some shops get caught up playing and it's curtains and I must admit that I wish that I was able to do the kind of project you're doing I would love to be able to tear my bike down to nothing and start over making everything look perfect that's the way I like my bikes and I feel more confident knowing everything is right at 90+mph.

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 02:01:52 PM »
Thank's for noticing! :-)
This is gonna go together as quick as I can make it happen, without screwing it up! no cut corners if I can help it! It's tough to work in and around this project too sometimes! The shop get's pretty messed up with REAL WORK!  :-D You know the kind that brings $$ in the door... instead of making it go out! :lol: Luckily we have been getting fair work latley, but summer is here and for some reason it's always slow in the summer... less $$, but more time to RIDE! :evil:

I would redo your powder coat job now. after the bike is done, each time you see the crap powder coat job you will not be happy or other people see it. Plus if you do it down the road only the parts your redo will look new and the other parts will look used finish. When its done it will look new and then you can go get it dirty.