Author Topic: Question about aftermarket parts  (Read 6753 times)

Offline sniper1

Question about aftermarket parts
« on: May 04, 2011, 01:32:05 PM »
        I hope this is in the right section so here goes, having a couple new K5s in the past I'm familiar with the bike and know they stopped making them in 04 but do any aftermarket parts cross over to the K5 maybe fron the 450 or 250 because every part I look at shows unavailable for the K5 and I figured there was a good sized market for 500 parts but looks like I was wrong.

I found a nice water pump cover with larger impeller and no dice along with every other part I looked at so are we just out of luck? and I pick my new bike up tomorrow it's a gem too not a spot on it with super low hours it's been garaged for a few years now and was ridden in a grass pasture before that for about 30 hours it's perfect but would love to upgrade a few things.
Just an old guy that enjoys going fast, I was in the army for 6 years and bought my first K5 when I returned from basic training. I raced a yz60 from age 6 to 8  a kx80 from 8 to 12  a kx125 from 12-17 intermediate class on k5 which I've owned 3.

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
Re: Question about aftermarket parts
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 04:24:15 PM »
you find the right place we all can help you spend money on your new toy.

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 04:56:19 PM »
I have picked up just about EVERY aftermarket part I can find for this bike! If you are looking for something in particular, ask me and I could prob. tell you if it is available out there. :lol: Otherwise just comb the net for a LONG time and track down what you are looking for. Call as many places as you can too. BRP MOTO and SCOTTS are a great resource for the 500 aftermarket stuff. Very helpfull. Just searching your make on motosport will get you nowhere! :-D With the 500's you really gotta dig, and do your homework. Don't ever take no for an answer ethier. happy modding my friend.  :wink:

Offline sniper1

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 06:21:45 PM »
       Kaw rider :)

I really liked the water pump cover by boyeson with the larger impeller but they don't make them for a 500 only 250 and 450.

pro circuit makes one too

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/10/213/8215/DPITEM/Dirt-Bike-Motocross-Water-Pump-Kit-Boyesen-Supercooler-Water-Pump-Cover-and-Impeller-Kit.aspx

Wondered if these will fit an 02 K5 it gives 88 model year but I thought everything was about the same on these from the 2 I previously owned.

http://www.performanceradiatorsuk.com/epages/es137853.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es137853/Products/MX012

Nice project delphi and this winter mine will get the full treatment but my suspension is getting done right away when I pick my new bike tomorrow it's off to suspension.

I rode intermediate class for 12 years in open class and while never a star I was competitive and would double but never tripled with the K5 but my priority is better cooling and suspension and never did more than the basic bolt ons with my 88 and my 01 K5 but for the tracks I raced at the bike was already too much but I upgraded for playing on dirt roads and dunes.

The suspension on the K5 is just aweful for tracks and jumps but I see a lot of guys going with a stabilizer and I never had any headshake or stability issues at high speed so what is the advantage of a stabilizer I never seen one on a mx bike but read about them on the legend danny hamel's bike.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 06:42:42 PM by sniper1 »
Just an old guy that enjoys going fast, I was in the army for 6 years and bought my first K5 when I returned from basic training. I raced a yz60 from age 6 to 8  a kx80 from 8 to 12  a kx125 from 12-17 intermediate class on k5 which I've owned 3.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 10:18:19 PM »
             The suspension on the K5 is just aweful for tracks and jumps but I see a lot of guys going with a stabilizer and I never had any headshake or stability issues at high speed so what is the advantage of a stabilizer I never seen one on a mx bike but read about them on the legend danny hamel's bike.

If your KX500 does not exibit any high speed headshake you either have not gone over 50 mph, or you have arms of steel !

IMO, forget all the useless aftermarket BS bling  and spend money on getting your suspension resprung and revalved. The KX500's suspension is circa mid 90's and sucks by todays standards. I had Factory Connection massage my 5 and absolutely an amazing difference. The KX500 will NEVER be a MX track weapon, but it's night and day difference from stock.  Lastly a Scotts steering damper is MANDATORY if you want to get some precision out of the front end on the KX500. A steering stabilizer allows you to slide the forks up higher in the triple tree to gain some cornering bite, while not gaining the inherant "death swap" at higher speeds.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 01:59:26 AM »

If your KX500 does not exibit any high speed headshake you either have not gone over 50 mph, or you have arms of steel !

IMO, forget all the useless aftermarket BS bling  and spend money on getting your suspension resprung and revalved. The KX500's suspension is circa mid 90's and sucks by todays standards. I had Factory Connection massage my 5 and absolutely an amazing difference. The KX500 will NEVER be a MX track weapon, but it's night and day difference from stock.  Lastly a Scotts steering damper is MANDATORY if you want to get some precision out of the front end on the KX500. A steering stabilizer allows you to slide the forks up higher in the triple tree to gain some cornering bite, while not gaining the inherant "death swap" at higher speeds.

+1 ALL THE WAY!
 And I like aftermarket BS Bling :-D BUT AS YOU CAN SEE FROM MY BUILD ONLY IF IT SERVES A REAL FUNCTION TOO!

Offline sniper1

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 02:33:33 AM »
        I have held my old 01 K5s wide open with 15/45 gearing and all the bolt ons going accross silver lake dunes and never missed out on a chance to hit a paved road to race my friends cr500 and never had an ounce of headshake I thought it was on a monorail or something.

I wasn't ever a weakling at 5'10" 250lbs when I used to ride but I'm down to 208 now but 15 years of wrestling and uncle sam probably helped strengthen my arms and unloading semis for UPS for 4 years and driving for UPS for 14 years might have helped with the arms :) I like that lol arms of steel I'll have to tell the wife about that one.

Seriously I never missed a chance to hit a dirt or paved road to hold it wide open same with the drags at silver lake and no headshake we'll have to see how the new 02 k5 handles when I pick it up today maybe things have changed.

This is me at our hunting trailer at 208lbs and I preferred the 250lbs I was when in the army :)

I raced open class for 12 years and never see any K5s with stabilizers at the track but my money will go into suspension first then cooling second and motor third but if the stabilizer helps on a track then count me in :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 02:41:38 AM by sniper1 »