Author Topic: 2003 KX500 build (Progress Pics)  (Read 13261 times)

Offline sniper1

Re: 2003 KX500 build (Progress Pics)
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 01:46:44 PM »
          If someone were to start making a rub protector I would surely buy one just in case someone out there is feeling ambitious :) too bad the aftermarket subframe maker doesn't add one onto the K5 subframe for those who buy them it would be a nice addition or selling point to have something with a replaceable runner for the spot the chain rubs at.

Since I raced my bikes since I was 8 years old I had to learn to do a lot of things on the bikes but always paid to have the internal work done or stripping the bikes so hats off to you for being able to take the bike down and do your own work I should have taken the plunge but was skeered.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 01:50:15 PM by sniper1 »
Just an old guy that enjoys going fast, I was in the army for 6 years and bought my first K5 when I returned from basic training. I raced a yz60 from age 6 to 8  a kx80 from 8 to 12  a kx125 from 12-17 intermediate class on k5 which I've owned 3.

Offline serafin

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 03:04:04 PM »
Get yourself a piece of 5/8 heater hose split it down the middle and zip tie it on.  Simple, cheap, easily replaceable.

serafin

Motorrad

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 03:07:25 PM »
Get yourself a piece of 5/8 heater hose split it down the middle and zip tie it on.  Simple, cheap, easily replaceable.

serafin

I did that last trip out... because I had issues with my stainless one (I was an idiot and put it on backwards so the chain caught the edge and pulled it off)...

It was eaten half way through within 2gal of fuel... (the rubber heater hose)

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 03:41:21 PM »
The kickstand is nice, I have the same one. But if the bike is running, it will walk itself pretty bad so be carefull! Really, it is just there to prop it up when it's not running. Like when you go back to the truck to smoke a butt and drink a beer. Makes it look cool. And it beats leaning it against a tree out in the woods! Or dragging the "dinner bell triangle" stand around with you!

And I was gonna say that welding the mount is like a 5 min. welding job. I cant see how it could cost more than 30 bucks. I will have to get a rub gaurd on my subframe too, it's chewed up pretty bad.

Offline greylynn

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 04:55:42 PM »
Ok, I'll keep the kickstand lol.  If you look at the pic below you can see where the kickstand wore on the side plate.  I don't know if the guy didn't realize it went behind the plate, but it was on the outside rubbing the plate.......I'll investigate this weekend....It felt a little loose.

Anyway, I got some parts today, the VForce reeds look Frappin' sweet!

I also got the exhaust mount welded and the nut welded to the back of it.  I thought the guy did a pretty good job and even painted it for me.  See pics.  I'll get more parts in Friday and get to putting this thing back together a little on the weekend.  I ordered a Pro Circuit Platinum 2, I had the Works pipe and the Platinum 2 on my CR500 and I liked them.  I think they feel a little more on the pipe if you will than the FMF.  This thing is going to be for top end in the dunes anyway.  I also think the FMF Turbine Core silencer is not appealing to my eyes.  So the FMF will be for sale.  The black plastics should be here too.

Grey

Exhaust mount

Kickstand rubbing on plate

Some new Parts

What the bike looks like now

Motorrad

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 05:07:23 PM »
Not sure about Dumont... but they are checking spark arrestors VERY AGGRESSIVLY here in my neck of california...  just a FYI...

Interesting rub mark....    since the kick stand is supposed to tuck BEHIND the number plate... not infront of it...   Somthing isnt right..

Offline greylynn

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 05:30:32 PM »
Not sure about Dumont... but they are checking spark arrestors VERY AGGRESSIVLY here in my neck of california...  just a FYI...

Interesting rub mark....    since the kick stand is supposed to tuck BEHIND the number plate... not infront of it...   Somthing isnt right..

I only ride at Sand MTN NV, so I ordered the 304 silencer.  The bike is kinda a side project, I have a turbo Raptor and a TRX450R that I take to the dunes.  This bike probably will only get ridden once or twice a trip.  I can't ride all three at the same time lol.  Don't get me wrong, I started on bikes and always wanted a K5, so we'll see what happens, maybe I'll go back to my roots. 

I agree the stand is funky, I'll check it out this weekend....He might have just left it in the front for some reason.

Grey

Motorrad

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 05:53:49 PM »

I only ride at Sand MTN NV, so I ordered the 304 silencer.  The bike is kinda a side project, I have a turbo Raptor and a TRX450R that I take to the dunes.  This bike probably will only get ridden once or twice a trip.  I can't ride all three at the same time lol.  Don't get me wrong, I started on bikes and always wanted a K5, so we'll see what happens, maybe I'll go back to my roots. 

I agree the stand is funky, I'll check it out this weekend....He might have just left it in the front for some reason.

Grey

Cool.. just making sure on the pipe...

Trust me Im in the same boat as you on bikes... when I go out . (even for a week)... I normaly have a differant bike to ride every single day..  sometimes more..   :roll:

here is how the kickstand should fit BTW
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,2018.0.html

Offline sniper1

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, 06:51:19 PM »

serafin

Thanks and I'm surprised someone or some company hasn't made something dedicated for this purpose with replaceable delrin blocks or something and in the weapon industry someone is always trying to make some useless gadget for the fish to buy and the AR guys will buy anything and everything lol but this would actually be something useful so just a little surprised someone hasn't come up with a slick unit like BRP perhaps.
Just an old guy that enjoys going fast, I was in the army for 6 years and bought my first K5 when I returned from basic training. I raced a yz60 from age 6 to 8  a kx80 from 8 to 12  a kx125 from 12-17 intermediate class on k5 which I've owned 3.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2011, 10:10:11 PM »

serafin

I did that last trip out... because I had issues with my stainless one (I was an idiot and put it on backwards so the chain caught the edge and pulled it off)...

It was eaten half way through within 2gal of fuel... (the rubber heater hose)

That's why I fabbed mine out of Teflon. I also put a small chamfer so the chain easily rubs past the teflon with no issues.  Like I said, I have a bunch of them if you want one pm me your address..
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline greylynn

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2011, 04:33:49 AM »
I got the moose Torque spacer and the V-force reeds installed.  I had to cut the tabs off the intake boot, but other than that pretty easy.  The intake/air filter boot on the opposite side of the pic is kinda sunk in because of the tweaking of the fit.  This set up barely fits now and the intake shape has now changed....Think this will affect performance negatively?

I bought a brand new intake boot because the old one had some minor cracks in it that I didn't want to become major and the new one has a few tiny little cracks in it, I guess it's just kinda unavoidable with rubber.  None of the cracks go all the way through of course.

I got all the plastics, sprockets, exhaust o-rings, new fuel lines, rotor and sprocket bolts for the completely seperate dune Excel wheels which should be here next week, and a bunch of other stuff in.  I'm waiting for the wheels to get here before I put that stuff on so I don't have to remove anythingg else.  Anyway here are a few pics.  By next weekend I should have major progress....

Grey

I had to get this sprocket because the wheels are going to have gold hubs, black spokes, black rims and gold nipples.  And the new chain is gold, so I thought it would look pretty!

It's going to have black front and rear fenders, green side and front number plates with black fork sliders.

There are a lot of other things on the way, Devol radiator guards, I think I want to make those black, new chain slider and rollers, Tm Designs flag holder, Pro Circuit Platinum 2 pipe and 304 silencer, and other stuff I can't think of right now lol, let me know what you guys think so far :)

Grey

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2011, 03:58:48 PM »
WOW goin all out! :lol: It's hard not to with the K5 isin't it! Just want it to look mint, even though it's gonna get covered in dirt! But the dunes are different than riding in the woods and mud like I do! :-D

Looks like you have the carb. pushed too far into the intake boot in that pic. I would not let that stay that way.... I have the tourqe spacer on my build too.... So I will have to look into modding the airbox mounts to bring it back like a 1/2" So that the airbox boot is not deformed and the carb. is not shoved too far into the intake boot also. I would monkey with that a little more if I were you. just a suggestion. :-)

The weld work on the mount is good work too, he did do a good job.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 04:00:31 PM by delphipro5 »

Offline greylynn

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2011, 04:22:06 PM »
WOW goin all out! :lol: It's hard not to with the K5 isin't it! Just want it to look mint, even though it's gonna get covered in dirt! But the dunes are different than riding in the woods and mud like I do! :-D

Looks like you have the carb. pushed too far into the intake boot in that pic. I would not let that stay that way.... I have the tourqe spacer on my build too.... So I will have to look into modding the airbox mounts to bring it back like a 1/2" So that the airbox boot is not deformed and the carb. is not shoved too far into the intake boot also. I would monkey with that a little more if I were you. just a suggestion. :-)

The weld work on the mount is good work too, he did do a good job.

Thanks for the compliments, I'm going to figure something out to stop the deformed boot from happening, thanks for the imputs!

Grey

Offline greylynn

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2011, 04:42:50 PM »
Well I checked the compression when I had a minute, It was 160PSI spot on everytime.  When I took this pic I got off the bike and went to get the camera so it leaked a lil off.  I think I am right where I should be 105-164 psi correct?  The guy I got the bike from said it was barely ridden....He was going to make it a hillclimber, but never did.

I decided to also polish the swingarm with the brushed aluminum style look that Motorrad showed in a thread somewhere.  I'll post some pics once I get a little further on that project.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 04:44:43 PM by greylynn »

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2011, 10:51:05 PM »
160 psi is perfect. That signifies a strong top end. Anything less than 140 and your loosing power.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart