Author Topic: Smoke no RPM, oily plug????  (Read 2617 times)

i_duddits

Smoke no RPM, oily plug????
« on: June 09, 2004, 02:12:31 AM »
Right then, I have no idea how this is going to sound but here goes
I managed to start the KX500 up again today (With a spray of easystart ;o)
Got it running, smoked like a good'n, I mean serious smoke!
Now this is where it gets funny
When running sounded like this: xxxxxx0xxxxxx0xxxxxx0xxxxxx0xxxxxx0
x= sound like nornal engine noise.
0= Detonation very noticable and very regular I guess the frequency is maybe 3 or 4 a second.

I figured the engine was flooded from all the kicking so I held the throttle wide open for maybe 20 seconds.
I noticed there was no increase in RPM at all, only the deep throaty sound of a fully open carb.
Took the plug out and the end was covered in wet oil, this I cleaned off with Wynns carb cleaner. I also stripped the carb and cleaned it out with the same and replaced it.
All appeares well with the carb, air screw is 1.5 turns out from fully in. Choke appears to be working.

a) All I've done since last I started it up at the weekend (when it sounded sweet) was lube the throttle cable. I thought WD40 had perhaps run down the cable into the carb but no.
b) I replaced the woodruff key (the coil plate never came off so the timing is as it was)
c) Installed a kill switch. This is a genuine Kawasaki part, when I previously started it there was no kill switch. I don't know if this has somehow increased resistance, weakened or inhibited spark? I'll disconnect it tomorrow and try agian but if any of you 2 stroke tuners can offer advice re mixtures etc it'll be greatly appreciated.

wrenchhead2427

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 03:41:10 AM »
Hey duddits,
    What is easystart?

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 03:52:37 AM »
Kinda obvious but hows the airfilter look?

Fookeneh

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 05:50:04 AM »
Maybey the kips valve is stuck closed.

i_duddits

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 09:07:41 AM »
Airfilter? Airbox has been removed in favour of a conical K&N (Which currently isn't on) there's no airfilter on the bike but then it used to start up and run fine without.  You think that's an issue?

I sent you a mail regaring easystart, I'll get the datasheet and post you info tomorrow

Twist-a-grip

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 02:54:51 PM »
Sounds like a possible wet side crank seal.  I am currently working on a bike that had both wet and dry side seals wasted.  Smoked like Keith Richard and would not rev out.  I am amazed it even ran.  It would run until the plug was so oil coated it finally wouldn't fire.  Check to see if your trans fluid has dropped any or has thinned out do to fuel dilution.  You can check the dry side easy by pulling the flywheel cover and check for gas/oil residue.

John

i_duddits

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2004, 03:43:35 AM »
Right then... Mmmm
Well it's like this.... Last week I purchased 2 of those green plastic petrol containers from the garage filled with fuel. One I mixed with 2 stroke at 32:1 then got distracted for a couple of days. I chucked one in the tank and added 2 stroke at 32:1, only it was the premix one (This reply should be in Humour)
So there I am trying to start a 500 with a fuel ratio of about 16:1 wondering why it's such a bitch to start and smoking like a steam train.
<Que Laughter>
I've drained and cleaned everything, refilled and purged with fresh 40:1.
Tried to test it but before I could get her fired up.... Woodruff key's snapped off...AGAIN! I'm sure the premix was the problem though.
This stupid mistake nearly caused an expensive rebuild for nothing.
The embarrassment of posting this explanation is just punishment.
Thanx all for your advice and very kind offers, especially Baldrick, cheers mate.