Author Topic: Seat cover and Radiator Guard 2002 E14 K5 compatable.  (Read 2325 times)

Offline jrs

Seat cover and Radiator Guard 2002 E14 K5 compatable.
« on: April 20, 2011, 12:05:48 AM »
Hi fellow K5ers, This is my 1st post. I love the site. Learning a lot already. I had a few CR500 's and a CR480. Now I just got a used K5 E14 before they disappear from the planet.
Has a few bugs I am working out. Trying to see what is compatible. The radiator guard on the right, "front brake" side is missing. Is all years compatible? Can you use the guard from the left side on the right side? Maybe someone has an extra one for sale. It is the white one.
Also the seat cover needs replaced. I did read in one of the forms that a KDX200 "had one of them back in 89" would work.
I noticed the clutch was sticking a bit. Drained the gearbox oil. Looks like it has never been changed before. I read where some of you are using atf in the gearbox. Not to crazy about doing that permanent. But wondered if maybe doing it for a few hours would help clean things up a bit? Does anyone use Rotella with the JASO MA/MB spec in their gearbox?
I guess fork seals will be the last thing i replace.
I had to replace the front brakes. Removed them and thought they looked identical to my 05 DR650's fronts. And I have an extra set. Fit perfectly. I think the rear is the same also.
Thanks a lot guys for the help. And thanks for posting all the useful info on the site and not keeping it to yourself  :-D

Offline crazyolbastard

Re: Seat cover and Radiator Guard 2002 E14 K5 compatable.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 10:16:20 AM »
I would try a search and read some post starting at the last page.
You said it yourself,  a lot of info on this site.

Good luck with your mean green machine
Crazy Ol Bastard

Motorrad

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 11:01:35 AM »
Hi fellow K5ers, This is my 1st post. I love the site. Learning a lot already. I had a few CR500 's and a CR480. Now I just got a used K5 E14 before they disappear from the planet.
Has a few bugs I am working out. Trying to see what is compatible. The radiator guard on the right, "front brake" side is missing. Is all years compatible? Can you use the guard from the left side on the right side? Maybe someone has an extra one for sale. It is the white one.
Also the seat cover needs replaced. I did read in one of the forms that a KDX200 "had one of them back in 89" would work.
I noticed the clutch was sticking a bit. Drained the gearbox oil. Looks like it has never been changed before. I read where some of you are using atf in the gearbox. Not to crazy about doing that permanent. But wondered if maybe doing it for a few hours would help clean things up a bit? Does anyone use Rotella with the JASO MA/MB spec in their gearbox?
I guess fork seals will be the last thing i replace.
I had to replace the front brakes. Removed them and thought they looked identical to my 05 DR650's fronts. And I have an extra set. Fit perfectly. I think the rear is the same also.
Thanks a lot guys for the help. And thanks for posting all the useful info on the site and not keeping it to yourself  :-D

Hmm where to start
first off.. welcome to the site, and thanks for jumping right in... to many floaters that just watch from the sidelines..

88-04 kx500's are pretty much all the same... (brakes and suspension parts changed)  that is all..

Im not sure about the rad guard..
When I am researching things like that, (if left to right will fit). I use Servicehonda.com   go to the microfish for the bike, and look at part numbers... if it lists 1 number for both sides... whala....

Gearbox oil is hotly debated...  I dont run atf..  I run Royal purple 4stroke motorcycle oil in my trans (not the car oil)..    At over $13 a quart.. I am obviously not one of the "use atf because its cheap" guys..

Offline jrs

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 01:53:23 PM »
Wow you guys are a great help.
Now I know the brakes and suspension parts are the only change from 88 to 04. That is very important info.
I'll be getting rid of the ATF soon. Never used it in any of my previous 2 bangers. I may have to tear into the clutch anyway and check the plates out. It seems much better now. Gear changes are much smoother. I never seen such dirty oil before. 
How often do you change the Royal Purple? $13 a quart is really high. I can get a gallon of rotella T for that. Maybe after a few oil changes I may try it. I usually change gear box oil after about 20 hours.
I use Mobil 1 motorcycle oil in my DR650.
And thanks for the site Servicehonda.com. I use a simular site http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/Xtremepowersports/partsfinder.htm I never thought to look there. So I looked up the radiator guard and they both have the same part number. So they do interchange  And servicehonda.com is the cheapest :-D
Thanks for the info.

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 04:14:39 PM »
Welcome to the site. Post some pics of your bike. Everyone here likes pics lol.

Another good site to find part numbers and compare years is www.bikebandit.com.

There were minor changes to a couple engine parts on 89-04. But all parts interchange between the years so no worries. Biggest one that messes people up is the knurled end of the shift shaft was small on pre 95 bikes. They stopped necking it down to try to prevent them from breaking so easy. So if you change to that shaft you have to get a new shifter.

88 Engines were different than 89-04. Some of the early 89 engines had a smaller lighter flywheel along with different ignition. In late 89 they changed to the setup that is found on 90-04. Questions are always welcome but as crazyolbastard said search first.

Cheers
Goat
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 04:42:09 PM »
You can check out my site:
http://oem-cycle.com/KAWASAKIKX500BIKEID.aspx
I've got a ton of K5 info with more on the way.
Remember, you will need to scroll to the right as it is a long, long list  :-D
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Motorrad

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 05:12:56 PM »

How often do you change the Royal Purple? $13 a quart is really high. I can get a gallon of rotella T for that. Maybe after a few oil changes I may try it. I usually change gear box oil after about 20 hours.
I use Mobil 1 motorcycle oil in my DR650.
And thanks for the site Servicehonda.com. I use a simular site http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/Xtremepowersports/partsfinder.htm I never thought to look there. So I looked up the radiator guard and they both have the same part number. So they do interchange  And servicehonda.com is the cheapest :-D
Thanks for the info.

I run the Royal Purple in my 640 KTM.. also...

When I change it depends on alot of things..
1. I run steel clutch plates, so it doesnt contaminate the oil like the alum ones do..

If I run a desert race, I change it every race...

If im out just riding for fun, I play it by ear, depends on how much I ride it and now hard I am on it..