Author Topic: I drowned my K5  (Read 2266 times)

Offline littlewing78

I drowned my K5
« on: April 19, 2011, 02:48:51 PM »
I went riding this weekend and tipped over in a three foot deep puddle.  The bike was completely under water.  I pulled it out as fast as I could but it was too late.  The cylinder was full of water and locked up.  I took out the plug and turned the bike upside down and cranked it over till it stopped squirting water out.  Then drained the bowl of the carb.   It took a lot of kicking but I got it running again.  I was in a place that only bikes can access so riding out really was the only option.  The bike ran just as good as always but just a bit louder.  I think it was louder because the packing in the silencer was soaked.  I rode for a couple more hours with no problems at all.  I am just curious if there is anything I might need to check after something like this.  Thanks.

Offline littlewing78

Re: I drowned my K5
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 03:25:53 PM »
I just drained my oil and does not even look like oil anymore.  Very light gray color.  That may take a few oil changes to clean out.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 05:03:10 PM »
I did the same thing many years ago.
I turned the bike completely upside down to get all the water from the pipe :-)
Finally got it started and rode 12 miles back to my truck.
Got it home, changed the grey ooze (oil) and rode it for many years afterward.
I would not recommend this as a normal cleaning method  :-D
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 05:10:16 PM »
take your flywheel cover off and blow out with compressed air. try and find some boat fogging oil. flush out your whole fuel system.

Offline snoopjonnyjon

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 04:01:22 AM »
I completely submerged my bike last fall. I was worried about sand in the bottom end, so I disassembled the engine, but everything checked out fine. All I would have needed to do was clean the carb, new oil in trans, repack the silencer, and give it a fresh spark plug.

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 04:40:49 PM »
I've done this more times than I can count. Flogging oil is a good idea and not too expensive last I checked. I would do a compression test to make sure it's still good. I have broken rings by drowning before. Ran ok but wasn't exactly as it was. Water can't be compressed so do a leak down test to make sure the crank seals didn't give way. If everything checks out then an oil change and fuel system clean and you should be gold.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 09:16:01 PM »
Fog the engine with WD40 this will help disperse any residual moisture inside the engine. If you are going to have issues you won't see them right away, you will see them a month from now when the crank bearings develop rust.... hope for the best. rust from drowning a bike and letting the bike sit will destroy a good engine !

Enduro racers will immediately get the engine running and fog the engine with WD40, then fill the engine with oil for the ride home. Then the next day flip the engine upside down (some even pull the engine out of the chassis and tear down the top end). Empty out all the oil, and get the bike running ASAP. The idea is to disperse all the water, and not let the internals have a chance to develop ANY rust. The way to prohibit rust is to not let air and moisture get to the metal surfaces. I've also read that another trick is to add some Kerosene in with the transmission oil this will help disperse mositure as well in the tranny.  
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 09:32:13 PM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 12:14:39 AM »
I know quite a few reputable guys that have submurged their bikes in water and have always used Kerosene to clean it back up.  Pull the motor and then flush the bottom end.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.