Author Topic: New Pipe or Rad Valve Question  (Read 3403 times)

Offline dmazz71

New Pipe or Rad Valve Question
« on: April 19, 2011, 04:13:43 AM »
Hi,

I have an 03 500 that's completely stock except for an FMF Gnarly pipe (with stock silencer) that came with the bike.  I don't like power loss at the top end, so I was thinking of either keeping the pipe and installing a Boyesen rad valve or get the FMF Desert pipe.

Any thoughts on the this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline oic0

Re: New Pipe or Rad Valve Question
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 06:14:00 AM »
Its been a while since I researched but I believe people were saying the vforce was the hot ticket reed wise for the KX500. It's not going to shift the powerband like a pipe change will though.

They really don't rev out too far and feel more like a big four stroke than a two stroke. That said, mine came with an FMF gnarly on it and I switched to a Procircuit platinum. It does make a difference. Doesn't turn it in to a pipey 250, but you can feel it when it wakes up.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 06:19:18 AM by oic0 »
2000 KX500
1998 Warrior, with RD350 engine (Blown up)
1973 RD350 (In storage)

Offline dmazz71

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 09:30:53 AM »
I think I'm going to keep the pipe and add the Vforce3 setup to restore some of the top end.  It seems that the Vforce is designed to boost mid to top end, which is what I'm looking for.

I also still need to play around with jetting.  The 500 seems to require a little more fine tuning than my 03 CR250 did.  These 500's really are a different kind of animal.

Thanks
Dan

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 09:34:36 AM »
Save your money on the v-force set-up. try a different pipe.

Offline dmazz71

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 10:31:33 AM »
Which pipe do you recommend?  The FMF Desert or Pro circuit Platinum?

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 10:49:47 AM »
it seems that pro circuit platinum is a great choice.

Offline dmazz71

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 11:44:59 AM »
Thanks

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 04:51:06 PM »
A cheap power adder is the reed spacer that JFab makes. I didn't think it would do much so I made my own out of 1/8" aluminum. My engine is bone stock minus the PC pipe and Turbine Core Silencer. I felt a difference throughout the rpm range and it wasn't so choppy. I plan to get the 1/4" spacer from JFab eventually.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Motorrad

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 07:10:20 PM »
A cheap power adder is the reed spacer that JFab makes. I didn't think it would do much so I made my own out of 1/8" aluminum. My engine is bone stock minus the PC pipe and Turbine Core Silencer. I felt a difference throughout the rpm range and it wasn't so choppy. I plan to get the 1/4" spacer from JFab eventually.

If he is unhappy with it signing off early.... a 
Reed spacers are great for woods guys... 
Not so good for open desert and dunes...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 07:42:50 PM by Motorrad »

Offline oic0

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 11:51:13 PM »
I wish there were dyno charts for all the pipes.... but if it hasn't happened in 20 some odd years, its not going to happen.
Regardless though, I just want to be sure you understand that even with a top end pipe its going to sign off around 7000rpms, right about where the magic starts on most two strokes. I do personally like the feeling of the pro-circuit platinum over my gnarly though. Just "feels" right lol. Really snappy on the top end.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 02:39:45 AM by oic0 »
2000 KX500
1998 Warrior, with RD350 engine (Blown up)
1973 RD350 (In storage)

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 04:14:54 AM »

If he is unhappy with it signing off early.... a 
Reed spacers are great for woods guys... 
Not so good for open desert and dunes...

My 1/8th inch spacer didn't affect the early sign off. It actually made it less noticeable. Maybe it's just enough to get the reeds out of the turbulence and smooth it out without effecting the top end? I primarily ride open fields and mx track with a little bit of woods riding at my parents on 12 ft wide trails.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline dmazz71

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 09:12:12 AM »
I ended up getting a stock pipe and keeping the FMF Gnarly.  I'll use the the FMF for the motocross track and the stock one for the sand pits.

Now I just have to play around with the jets.