Author Topic: need to pick your brains.......please.  (Read 2529 times)

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
need to pick your brains.......please.
« on: April 16, 2011, 12:18:48 AM »
just a couple for you lot to muse over....
engine parts and other nice shiny stuff are all accumulating nicely for the old girl, takin photos too but not interwebbed at home yet and v.busy, so will put em up in one go...

anyway, having my crank journals hard chromed but dont know the exact diam for new and doesnt give it in clymer manual, i imagine its 30.00mm, anyone sure???

also,early cranks have extra holes near crankpin, would pugging them to raise ccr reduce oil to crankpin bearing by a significant amount as i am as yet unable to get that bearing in ceramic???

does increasing ccr help at high rpm, low rpm or everywhere???

as ever, thanks in advance for your thoughts as cant get on as often as i would like at minute, but am beavering away and will show you the results asap.freakin sweet. :evil:
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
Re: need to pick your brains.......please.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 12:24:06 AM »
oh yeah, didnt get the pipe, was a spes, didnt buy the quattro either, a guy i know did and the gearbox sh&t itself 2 weeks later, and that just happens to be the most complex and expensive part of the car..... :-o
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''

Motorrad

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 02:58:14 AM »
Im just now leaving out the door to exercise one of the motorcycles..

Ill dig in my notes when I get back for journal specs... if somone else doesnt chime in before that..

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 03:08:06 AM »
much obliged young man.

Motorrad

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 06:08:15 PM »
much obliged young man.

I cant find my bearing journal specs here in my notes at home...

I bet they are on my desk at work with the "Invoice" that states that my crank was a "hydrolic ram"...

If not I can call and ask on monday also..

But I had them go to normal bearing press for the bearing ID on the primary side..
and about .0005 less on the ignition side  (still press fit, just less so so it will come appart like OEM)

Im still not sure that Hard chrome was the correct way to go on my part...  as I hear it makes them brittle...  Time will tell  :|

have you looked into the guy Sandblaster posted about that had some other process to build them back up? 

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,8985.0.html

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 10:34:40 PM »
i havent, but to be honest, dealing with folks in us unless they are on here is a pain in the rear.hard chromers who have plenty of crank repair experience are an hour away in uk and about 120 usd for repair.my crank has perfect journals but previous owner cut down flywheel thread afta mauling it so had to buy another.threads are mint but journals aint goin in my lump like that.(photos will follow, one day sometime maybe...)thanx for looking, no mad rush, only posted it to em yesterday and they aware i havent got sizes yet.K.

Motorrad

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 06:07:04 AM »
I didnt realize you were across the pond...

But like I said... I am still not 100% sure that hard chrome was the correct choice on a "high performance" application..

Im no expert. but I have found some horror storys...

I know SANDBLASTER used to work in the industry, perhaps he can chime in here on why it does this?

Sandblaster please grace us with your wealth of knowledge