Author Topic: KX60 HELP! In need of rebuild!  (Read 219804 times)

Offline chris-mets

Re: KX60 HELP! In need of rebuild!
« Reply #570 on: November 10, 2011, 02:19:32 AM »
Ohh...cause I can push both slides up with my finger easily....So your saying nothing is broken and I should put it on the bike now? I read a lot on those pages but still didnt get the info if the throttle is  suppose to be locked while not running? THanks
Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #571 on: November 10, 2011, 05:33:48 PM »
The throttle will move, however the carb needs to be on the bike and the engine running in order to move the slide.
   If you cannot turn the piece of the carb where the cables hook up to the twist grip stop and seek professional help.
There is more going on preventing you from operating the carbs.   Look in the yellow pages or online for a place that can clean the carbs for you.   There should be somewhere around your area. give them a call and tell them whats going on.  write down the year and model number of the bike and any numbers and letters on the side of the carb body and have it handy to tell the shop what you have.
  Sorry Chris,  This is going to have to go to someone who can dis-assemble, clean and re-assemble the carbs so you can bolt them on and go.
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #572 on: November 11, 2011, 04:48:18 AM »
But I dont think its something hard to figure out...how much would a shop usually charge for that?

Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #573 on: November 11, 2011, 04:39:22 PM »
 I'm sorry Chris, You will have to find a shop and then e-mail or call to find out what their rate is.
  If you can't free up the carb with carb cleaner they will have to be taken apart.
You have to be careful because if the diaphragms get damaged they can easily run $100.00 a piece.
  Tuck\o/

Here is the first place that popped up on my search:
http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/

write them an e-mail and see what they have to say.

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #574 on: November 14, 2011, 01:14:42 PM »
Hey TUck,

thanks for the advice. I will keep trying to soak it to get it to move properly.

About the xr, it has been leaking a giant puddle of gas because the float was stuck...so I tried hitting the carb on the side...the next day it didnt work..so today I took the carb off and opened the bowl...it wasnt really dirty at all...then I got cutips and took the jets out. cleaned it the best I could...there was black residue that rubbed off and it was on the hole that connects to the air box and cylinder...I mean the slide is colored black stock..so idk...I cleaned it and put it all back together ...tomorrow we will see if I fixed it...THen I looked at the bottom of the bike and noticed a drip coming off of the oil empty screw on the bottom of the engine...I went to turn it with my fingers and it turned! It was loose this whole time...so then I tightened it and wiped the oil cap level then saw that the oil level was really low I think...im bad at reading those dipsticks...So tomorrow Im going to empty out all the oil and put I believe 0.6 qts of 10w40...I tried to find how much oil online but I got it for the xr70r year 2002...probably the same..0.6 qts...let me know if you know...

Thanks
Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #575 on: November 15, 2011, 09:11:06 AM »
Update:

I went to do an oil change today and noticed 2 screws on the bottom of the engine...then I could tell which one it was by the screw being a little stripped...But the other one was where it was really loose and dripping...is this the tranny oil or something? could this be the reason why it shifts really loud?

Also when I saw the dripping I tightened that one screw then poured a little 10w30 in the oil dipstick hole...then I started it and it wasnt running good...So today I emptied the oil and poured 0.6 qts of 10w30 I had...then I rode it and it was running really bad...backfire when you accelerate in first then slow down...and it wasnt accelerating right either...what could this be...cause I didnt use 10w40? Let me know.

Thanks CHris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #576 on: November 15, 2011, 09:34:39 AM »
Also another thing I forgot to say was I was riding it and the engine was hot and you put it into neutral and it would idle for a little then just shut off...I tried the idle screw and it didnt work
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #577 on: November 15, 2011, 09:39:25 AM »
10w40 is for 4 strokes.you want specific 2 stroke gearbox oil or auto tranny fluid.do you mean a screw was in the oil when you drained it?
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #578 on: November 15, 2011, 09:47:42 AM »
Ok so basically I have to drain the oil and put 10w40 instead? 2 stroke gearbox oil? its a 4 stroke? im confused? and nooo I didn't mean that. So is the other screw the tranny oil?

Thanks
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #579 on: November 15, 2011, 09:53:51 AM »
my mistake.thought you meant the kx.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #580 on: November 15, 2011, 09:55:41 AM »
what bike are you on about?

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #581 on: November 15, 2011, 10:45:26 AM »
this is about the xr70r
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #582 on: November 15, 2011, 07:15:32 PM »
Oh Dear!
  I've been trying to get enough wood put up for winter and our internet has been spotty at best. Sorry
Chris...  Thank you for jumping in KWhack,   
  The 70 will use the oil for the engine lubrication as well as the tranny to the best of my knowledge.
It is important to keep the level up!  Honda's generally have you hold the dipstick in the opening and check the level as opposed to screwing in the dipstick, and removing it and then checking the level.
   There should be hash marks (they look like window screen on the  dipstick. you need to keep the oil in those hash marks.   The engine and tranny are counting on you!
  The black "soot like " stuff is carbon and oil fumes in your intake boot.   Most likely the crankcase vent and valve cover is hooked up to the intake to draw the fumes  in the engine and burn them instead of just venting to atmosphere and having oil collect and drip on the ground. 
   Any gases or oil leaking by the valve guides or possibly the rings will carry/collect some oil, when the gas cools the oil condenses (like water vapor)  by running the lines to the intake the idea is to burn them before they collect and drip.

[I was riding it and the engine was hot and you put it into neutral and it would idle for a little then just shut off...I tried the idle screw and it didnt work/quote]
  Since it's so much cooler now than summer the jetting is "off"
    If you haven't messed with the timing most likely the engine is running too lean and needs more fuel.
You may be able to open the fuel screw and get the bike to run better. 
  Since the 70 is a fourstroke it has a fuel screw,  the two strokes have an air screw.
  The fuel screw is just as the name implies, adjusts the amount of fuel in the engine for the slow circuit (known as the pilot in two strokes)   
  Look at the carb, the fuel screw will usually be on the bottomof the carb body on the engine side of the carb.
   http://www.thumperfaq.com/fuel_screw.htm

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #583 on: November 16, 2011, 11:02:56 AM »
hey tuck,

that website gave me a lot of info but it still didnt work for me. What is the other screw on the bottom of the engine for then? I filled up the bike to the proper level of oil and still its not running how it did...I dont think its temperature related because it was the same temperature the day after and it ran perfect before... this is really annoying! haha

I adjusted the bike fuel screw (it was on the side of the carburetor bowl)? and I screwed it outwards some and it just started pouring out gas so I quickly screwed it back in. I dont know what is happening...Is it the 10w30? I checked and it has gas in the tank...

THis is my best explanation of what is happening...I kick start the bike and it starts 1 kick no problem and it idles high then gets lower then dies out in a matter of second...Then I try again and keep it going with the throttle revving...when you revv the engine its like a delay..like when im riding in say 1st gear and I accelerate then let go of the gas it still goes for an extra second...whats this?

About the cb carbs that I have off...I separated both carbs from eachother and I found the culprit! The side that has the spring mechanism attached is fine but the other carb that has the lever that connects to the spring mechanism is gummed up...it moves slowly if you push....so basically I have to wd40 and clean the heck out of the joints where it turns....

Thanks
Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #584 on: November 17, 2011, 10:42:58 AM »
Update!

I was in the garage then 2 of my friends came over to just say hi and I asked one of them what you think is wrong with  the xr and he said because you put old 10w30 in it, that it didnt lubricate the piston properly and it needed a new piston...I doubted him and kept working...So I took it all apart again trying to redo and see if I did anything wrong...cleaned the fuel filter, took the carb off, put everything back together and tried and it still was the same...So I turned the idle up so it would stay running then I turned the fuel screw a half a turn out and the bike just shut off....then I turned it back to where it was...Started it then turned the fuel screw in more...when I did that the idle was going really high so I turned the idle out i would say about 5 full turns! After this it runs perfect again! the xr is settled now! except what was that other screw that was loose and oil was dripping out?

THanks
Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80