Author Topic: KX60 HELP! In need of rebuild!  (Read 219793 times)

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
Re: KX60 HELP! In need of rebuild!
« Reply #555 on: October 27, 2011, 03:08:21 AM »
man i must say, you have some fine machines right there  :-o
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50
2009 Harley super glide custom

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #556 on: October 27, 2011, 07:56:27 AM »
TUck, I will be sure to check that link out. I also got to get those jets sent back out to you. About the kx now. When I go in the garage to start it up, I turn the gas on and kick it. Before, it took 1 kick every single time without the choke. Now with the jets in it, i try to start it without the choke and I kick 4 times without choke then I pull the choke out and it starts 1 or 2 after that. Why is this? Also when its running, I turn the choke off then rev it a little. Its at a highish rpm when idling but after letting it warm up for like 3 mins, it goes to a lower idle then stays there and is good from there. Is this normal? its not a problem but im thinking this might help diagnose the long time of starting.

Im gonna do my homework now then get working more on the cb. I actually got my friends pocket bike running for him and I put the carb back on and all the cases. I had to take the positive wire and put it touching the two metal parts onthe circle cdi. THen it sparked a lot and cranked. THen I charged it and it works now. But it doesnt stay idling. My friend with the cb says he still thinks the battery needs to be charged even more cause the horn doesnt work. So im gonna charge it more.

I hope I can manage to get the carbs off the cb today. THe clutch lever is really stiff too. I adjusted the freeplay and its still stiff...I think its cause its such a big bike/engine? Ill do updates when I can. Thanks 1989 kawasaki. YOur bikes are really nice too.

Thanks guys.
Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #557 on: October 27, 2011, 08:08:28 AM »
I'm on my way out the door to another Dr. apptment...  Choke first, start it  warm up then choke off.
  Yes that's right especially now that it's colder.    Choke on-> warm up -> choke off
    Careful with the electronics... one false move could fry the ignition.
   Catch you later this eve. or early tomorrow.
    T\o/
P.S. finally posted your piccy's  :-P
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #558 on: October 28, 2011, 12:11:23 AM »
Hey Tuck, when do you want me to send those jets back out to you? Anytime let me know.

Also why does it take longer to start? I miss the old 1 kick and it goes no problem. Tell me what I should do to get it running like it is now and have 1 kick again? Although it does smoke a lot still. Thanks.

Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #559 on: November 02, 2011, 09:50:12 AM »
Hey guys,

My power went out for 2 days then I just got my internet and cable and power back like a minute ago. Still waiting on a response.
Thanks
Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #560 on: November 02, 2011, 04:05:52 PM »
Hey Chris,
 I heard you guys got some pretty heavy snow this weekend.  Must be the global warming from all your motorcycles!  :-o  Hope you guys made it all right.
  I have been trying to get as much wood in as I can before it starts snowing here or I get my other side rebuilt.  so I haven't been here as much,   I find out for sure if I get my new left side re-built  nov 9th.
  O.K. , about this 60..
 You said
then I pull the choke out and it starts 1 or 2 after that.
  With the cold weather you guys are having the engine may take a few kicks to get her going.
 Fuel will not atomize as easily in cold weather, or the engine is cold.
  Thats why you have a choke on the bike, to get more fuel in the engine for starting.  Once the engine starts the increased velocity of the air being drawn through the carb will help atomize the fuel.  and once the engine warms up the fuel air mixture will be warmed up as its pulled through the engine and pumped through the crankcase. 
   You simply have to put on the choke first and then start kicking the bike.  Two or three kicks to start the bike does not seem excessive to me.    Be careful if you intend on riding during the really cold weather.  Its just as easy to run the bike lean in cold weather as it is in hot weather.

I think there is going to be a bit more smoke with the less expensive oils you have been running.
I'm not saying there will be no smoke with some of the more expensive oil, but it should be less.
  Something else to consider is the bike is going to smoke jetted on the safe or rich side as opposed to running on the edge.   
          I wish I had a magic formula to give you and the bike will be set up perfect every time, but that's just not possible..  I can tell you that if you stick with it, and keep reading all the material
 you can on jetting, oils, and two stroke engine basics you will "Get it" and it will all make sense.
    The only thing I would be doing to get the bike to run better is keep working with it.

Tuck\o/

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #561 on: November 03, 2011, 07:40:42 AM »
Hey Tuck,

thanks for the response. We are fine now. The house was 50 inside which was colder than outside! and I was locked out of the garage cause its electric! haha

I realized that your probably right with the engine being cold...cause everytime I start the kx now I pull the choke out and starts on the second kick most of the time. Then say I turn it off after 5 mins, it will start 1 kick no choke. Also about the kx. Something is up with the clutch. Say I start the bike and it is idling. Then I go to pull the clutch in then click down to first gear. It will still go forward if I totally let off the clutch then give it gas but with some bog. Like with any other clutch bike, the bike will just shut off no doubt about it. What could this be?

Also with the yz, which im fooling with today about the oil problem, it shoots black oil out the exhaust when riding. Also still drips and drools. This is all unburnt oil. I like how its running now but the oil is a big pain. I guess since I changed the ratio and not the jets, it is running wayyy too rich and is just shooting out the unburnt oil.

Now about the cb400...I put 3 new fuses in, connected jumper cables from my moms car to the bike, and it cranked and all the lights work!...Im working on taking the carbs off....they are clogged solid. That is why the throttle wasnt budging..I disconnected all the cables from the carb (2 throttle cables and choke cable) and they all moved freely...So now I gotta yank off those carbs and clean them and buy a battery then it should be good.

Thanks.
Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #562 on: November 03, 2011, 09:18:04 AM »
dont put the choke on for 5 mins. only keep it on for less than 10 secs
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #563 on: November 03, 2011, 09:33:37 AM »
noo I meant turn the bike off after 5 minutes lol
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #564 on: November 03, 2011, 09:35:56 AM »
noo I meant turn the bike off after 5 minutes lol

:lol: :lol:
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #565 on: November 07, 2011, 10:35:36 AM »
Nevermind about the kx with the clutch. Cause usually when I put it into first gear I roll it forward then let off the clutch.

Still waiting on a reply with the yz.

About the cb400...I worked on it more today with the help of my friend and we got the carb off...THen we opened it and tried cleaning it as best we could. All 4 jets were clogged and the bowls and everything was totally gummed up. We got the jets unclogged and most we could ungummed. Everything we got working except the throttle still doesnt move. It moves if you push it hard down then it wont go back to the original position. I looked in the manual and I didnt get anything from there. What is it?

Thanks
Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #566 on: November 07, 2011, 05:46:45 PM »
Still waiting on a reply with the yz.
  Higher quality oil and corrected jetting will solve the spooge a.k.a.
 dripping or drooling oil from the exhaust.     Sorry, you have to start that all over again.  But I bet you are twice as fast as pulling the carb than last summer! :-D

Say I start the bike and it is idling. Then I go to pull the clutch in then click down to first gear. It will still go forward if I totally let off the clutch then give it gas but with some bog. Like with any other clutch bike, the bike will just shut off no doubt about it. What could this be?

I'm sorry Chris, I read this four or five times and I'm not understanding, could you try again please?
  If you are telling me the bike is creeping forward with the clutch in, you may have to adjust the free-play in your cable.
There should be about the thickness of a nickel between the lever and the perch Before you feel the clutch start to compress the springs. Or Feel the clutch disengage.   What may be happening is the clutch is not fully disengaging or the oil is cold and thick and is dragging.   

The CB...
Did you remove any of the springs off the  carbs?  Are you sure the linkage between the carbs is correct.
   If you didn't remove any springs, and the linkage between the carbs is correct, you may have to take the carbs to a shop and let them dis-assemble them completely and clean them with stronger chemicals.    Your only other option is replacing them....and that may be pricey..

What usually happens is a bike will quit running and the owner will just park it.  As the fuel evaporates you have a
gummy residue left over, what you saw in the carbs and what plugs the passageways and jets.
   You may want to consider adding a fuel filter to the fuel line as the inside of the tank may have rusted over the years.   You add fuel to the tank and  the rust particles start to flow into those carbs you just spent big bucks on cleaning. 
  There is usually a filter on the intake of the petcock or fuel tap that extends on the inside of the gastank.
   This will catch most of the rusty stuff, but you can catch more with an inline filter bettering your odds at keeping the carbs clean.   
  I'm pretty sure the carbs on that bike are Constant Velocity and work primarily off engine vacuum. I could be wrong, but either way if the throttle itself won't return you shouldn't "Push it down hard" so nothing gets bent or broken.
   Sorry I can't give you a better answer Chris, I know you guys are doing your best.

Maybe you and some of your friends could make some money helping the old folks in the neighborhood shovel their driveways.  Heck, a few more storms and you could get a snowblower and really clean up!  Get it... Really Clean Up!  :lol:
   What....Not Funny..?  :|   
  O.k.....
Take Care,
   Tuck\o/

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #567 on: November 08, 2011, 09:43:06 AM »
Ok cause I like the way its running right now except the oil and smoke problem...

About the kx I figured out that wasnt true haha. Everytime I use a clutch dirt bike I pull the clutch in, click down to first, then push the whole bike forward then let off the clutch lever so its easier...

About the cb, I did remove the springs and it still doesnt work. Im almost positive that it is gummed up somewhere but its really complicating for me cause the whole spring mechanism in the middle. I will think about that idea with the extra fuel filter. Ive opened the petcock before and I cleaned the filter and the tank wasnt bad at all. Basically im 90 percent sure its gummed up.

My friends and I actually planned on a winter business to make some money haha.

Thanks tuck.
Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #568 on: November 08, 2011, 11:21:23 AM »
A Ha! found this! Exactly what is on my haynes manual pg 73. This will probably help solve.

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb400t-i-1978-canada_model15772/partslist/E19.html

Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #569 on: November 08, 2011, 03:21:32 PM »

That is the CV type of carb I was talking about.  Your throttle will not open and close the the slide and needle.
   engine vacuum will draw the slide up.
  There are lots of pages designated to the operation and explanation of how these work.
http://www.hondanighthawks.net/carb01.htm
http://www.omnilex.com/public/bmw78/cvcarb.pdf