Author Topic: KX60 HELP! In need of rebuild!  (Read 219794 times)

Offline chris-mets

Re: KX60 HELP! In need of rebuild!
« Reply #510 on: September 21, 2011, 10:53:07 AM »
Ok no problem Tuck. I will be looking for the package! I cant wait to get this finally sorted out. The jetting is making my bike perform terribly. Ill let you guys know when the jets arrive. THanks!

CHris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline crazyolbastard

« Reply #511 on: September 23, 2011, 10:38:04 AM »
Chris,
have you been changing one thing at a time?
I know a guy just wants to sort ( work ) on all the problems at once,
I am bad at that,  then see if it works.

Try ta remember you have plenty of time to get it running like YOU  think it should.

One thing at a time bud.

You can do it!

out

Crazy   :-P
Crazy Ol Bastard

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #512 on: September 27, 2011, 08:34:14 AM »
Hey crazy,

I have been changing one at a time.

Still haven't received the jets, but Ill be looking everyday!

Thanks guys.
Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #513 on: September 27, 2011, 12:13:12 PM »
Now what :|...they shoulda' been there by now. :x..
    let me see what's goin' on...
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #514 on: September 30, 2011, 08:03:05 AM »
Hey guys,

Tuck resolved the problem and found out that the needle jet is on backorder so we have to wait till it comes.

Also guys, I rode my yz today and I can tell im gonna love it when I get bigger. But the thing is it still doesnt run right and the giant oil spills....when I walk into the garage theres about a foot long 6 inch wide puddle of oil and the back tire is soaked in the oil drips. I found out where it is coming from. It is coming from the bottom part of the muffler. WHen I bought the bike I noticed that someone put some sort of glue substance that sealed it. I took it off and it started making a huge puddle. I tried hammering it closed but it didnt work...I guess when someone tried repacking it they bent the metal I guess...So I want to open the muffler but I dont knoe how to work with rivets...Dont you drill them out? The bike sounds like it doesnt have to be repacked but I want to open it and clean the packing and fix that leak...If you guys could guide me through that would help! THanks Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #515 on: September 30, 2011, 08:12:51 AM »

I got an e-mail yesterday the jets are on the way. again..
  The spooge on the YZ is jetting related but one bike at a time..
      The rivets get drilled out. you can replace them with new rivets or just use tek-screws (sheet metal self tapping)
I'll look for a vid on the rivets. 
  Can you snap a photo of the connection your talking about.  With winter coming you may want to remove the pipe and see about getting all the excess oil out.   If you keep making an oil mess in the garage it may not go well with the folks if they step in it!
  Tuck\o/   

Motorrad

« Reply #516 on: September 30, 2011, 08:13:55 AM »
what was the problem with the KX?

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #517 on: September 30, 2011, 08:18:38 AM »
 The carb was not the stock piece, finally got the correct jets on the way.   I had ordered jets for the bike and had them sent to Chris. Upon arrival the jets were not even close.  Re-ordered thinking I made a mistake...
  Wrong second time What the heck..   
    Found out the carb was off a 65 or something similar... Ordered jets again.. back ordered for a week.  now they are on the way..again..
   (sent Chris the tracking #)

Here's what a pop rivet is and how it works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aoXmzdSf_I&feature=related

To remove them you can grind off the head with a sanding disk or drill the rivet out. 
  If you don't have a pop rivet gun and rivets you can use self tapping sheetmetal screws to put the silencer back together.   After cleaning and re-packing! :-D
  Tuck\o/
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 08:32:29 AM by Friar-Tuck »

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #518 on: September 30, 2011, 08:30:02 AM »
Tuck, Im gonna go into the garage and take the muffler off right now and take a look at it cause I have nothing else to do! haha that video made me understand how rivets work. THanks guys. CHris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #519 on: September 30, 2011, 08:36:20 AM »

No Homework!?
   Don't wait till Sunday night!...Check your Hotmail  :-)
I have a Another LT-80 I have to put together so My Buddy and his kid can break it in and run it this weekend.
  I'll check back later this evening.
  "T" \o/

Motorrad

« Reply #520 on: September 30, 2011, 08:47:25 AM »
I know a much easyer way of taking rivets out... sanding is destructive (scratch other parts)..

get a drill bit.. that is about 3/4 the size of the head of the rivet.... drill...    it will cut and sepparate the head from the Shaft of the rivet before you get into the pipe, etc...

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #521 on: September 30, 2011, 11:21:55 AM »
YOU SIR! the good friar! you're my hero. Chris, you're in the right place.Although I've not looked in on this for a while, I still admire your enthusiasm, and if you end up building engines for moto xyz 7,000,000,000 in twenty years time, remember where you came from!!! :-D  K. 
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #522 on: September 30, 2011, 11:35:45 AM »
Hey guys,

Thats great to hear that they are on the way! cant wait to get the kx running right!

I went into the garage and took apart the muffler. It turns out I didnt have to take any rivets out...the rivets held in the billet cap at the end of the pipe. There were 2 screws to take the thing apart. The packing was soaked in oil. So I cleaned it as best as I could and sealed it back up and so far it doesnt leak anymore! We will see if it totally worked tomorrow.

Also if I ever sell one of my dirt bikes it would be the xr. Im thinking of selling the xr for 600ish then paying Tuck as much as I can back and then buy something similar. I think theres something wrong with the gearbox on xr. THats what my friend said today...when you shift it makes a click noise...I dont know if thats normal or not...If I sold it I would want a quiet kx sized bike. THanks for the responses guys.

CHris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #523 on: September 30, 2011, 11:53:45 AM »
Different bikes make different noises.Dont be spooked into selling it cheap.K.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #524 on: September 30, 2011, 02:56:17 PM »
Kwack makes a good point,
 The xr is a semi-auto right?  I don't recall you saying anything about the XR acting up.
   Don't sell the bike account you feel you owe me anything. 
 I still have several parts saws I have to get listed on ebay, that's where I get my spending cash  :wink:  It's not getting nicked out of the household expenses.

You are going to have to replace that silencer packing when possible, it's not really performing as intended soaked with oil.. :|

Catch you later,
  Tuck\o/

Oh Yea, I found this in our gallery on the "correct"  :wink: method for removing rivets!  I know...Facsinating :-D
http://www.kxriders.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pos=3
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 03:56:47 PM by Friar-Tuck »