Author Topic: KX60 HELP! In need of rebuild!  (Read 219817 times)

Offline chris-mets

Re: KX60 HELP! In need of rebuild!
« Reply #435 on: August 18, 2011, 09:41:44 AM »
Yeah, I figured.

Ok thanks for letting me know the right way.

I knew somebody would say something about that about not having rags! haha I just placed it there to get the screws out. For now until the jets get here I put a zip lock bag over the slide hanging off the bike and the car bin a zip lock. What jets did you order? And theyre on their way to your house correct? Im so anxious to get the kx carb off now but then I wont have anything to ride for 2 weeks! haha but no hurry! Thanks

Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline crazyolbastard

« Reply #436 on: August 18, 2011, 12:25:38 PM »
Chris,
Did you read what I wrote to you?
Remember,  change one thing at a time.

I`ve stood in the shoes you are in and have done more damage than good.
If you make a change,  and there is not an improvment-
you can go back and look someplace else.

Just tryin ta help.

Out

Crazy ol Bastard   :evil:
Crazy Ol Bastard

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #437 on: August 18, 2011, 01:45:33 PM »
  Hey Chris,
   I wish I had found this a few days ago, it would have given you  better Idea of what you  were in for.
http://forums.dirtrider.com/70/6729958/dirt-bike-repair-maintenance/jetting-a-2-stroke-carb-keihin-pwk/index.html

Does it appear that you could change your pilot from the opening made by the 17mm drainbolt (like in the pic)?

Rats!  You didn't have to remove the carb if that's the case, Sorry Bud.

And why would you have to wait two weeks to ride?  Your jets should be there in two or three days...
    Tuck\o/

"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #438 on: August 18, 2011, 02:03:06 PM »
Yes, I read what you wrote. I have been doing one thing at a time then seeing the effect. Thanks for the advice.

Hey Tuck. It is fine. I wanted to take the whole carb off to see how it comes off and to clean it...Today I put the carb back on temporarily until the jets come.

I thought the jets would take a week to get to your house then 4 days to get to my house then a day to install and do trial and error then I guess I can use the kx premix too. The jets that you ordered are for 32:1 right? THanks guys.

Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline crazyolbastard

« Reply #439 on: August 18, 2011, 03:08:41 PM »
that a boy Chris,  take your time.
Make a jet swap and read your plug.
I`m sure you have seen the "  how to read your plug "
in here.
If not let us know and we can hook ya up with a link.
Take it easy, 
out

Crazy.
Crazy Ol Bastard

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #440 on: August 18, 2011, 03:25:06 PM »
Yeah theres a whole chart in my clymer of all the different kinds of plug wear. Im thinking since I love kx's and theres such a GREAT site all about kx's I wish they made a quiet kx...After these two loud bikes my next bike needs to be quiet! Is there a kx out there or any mods that make it REALLY quiet? I want to own a lot of dirt bikes when im older and work on them a lot cause I really enjoy it. Also my yz rear brake doesnt work...Theres brake fluid in it...When you hit it with a hammer down it stays down and locks the back wheel but then you hammer the rear brake lever back up it releases...Any suggestions on a next bike and the rear brake would be appreciated. Thanks.

CHris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #441 on: August 18, 2011, 09:54:52 PM »
   :-o When you hit it with a hammer down it stays down and locks the back wheel  :?
 I really hope your just sayin' that to see our reaction...

Take a pic of the rear brake from the rear, so we can see the caliper and the brake pad.
Then have a look at the point where the brake lever attaches to the clevis or where the brake adjuster is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y1wv8Uuezw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUAlmm_zf7w&feature=related

Remember you have motocross bikes. They can be setup to be ridden for recreation or trail riding.
  After you get your current bikes sorted out you can start looking for a good trailbike, that might be a bit quieter.

take a flashlight and have a look in the silencer of your YZ.  I'm thinking it probably has never been re-packed.
  A good quality packing materiel may help quiet her down a bit, but it's still a race bike.  A good spark arrester/silencer
rated for offroad would help quiet things down. 

But before we get off track, you should have both brakes working properly.  Let's sort out the brake while you're waiting for parts.
  Tuck\o/

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #442 on: August 19, 2011, 06:02:02 AM »
Well you know  what I mean...the rear brake foot lever  is really really ahrd to push down so you have to hit it with a hammer and it stays down and slows the back wheel so you cant push it forward...its not the brake pads...

Yeah I wouldnt worry about my next bike yet! Probably for christmas is my next bike and I always have to pay more than half with the money I get for my birthdays and christmas haha

A little later I will take a flashlight and have a look in there. The yz isnt that loud actually...KX is MUCH MUCH louder! But Im sure once this jetting is sorted im gonna have to send it to someone to repack it cause

1. its probably filled with a ton of oil
2. I cant do it cause its rivets..
3. It has probably never been repacked

I dont know what to do about the rear brake...never worked with brakes except the brake levers haha! THanks guys

Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #443 on: August 19, 2011, 10:50:02 AM »

The rear brake usually has a pivot point that rarely gets serviced.  Check that for how freely it moves.
      You will have to remove the return spring and the clevis that pushes the plunger on the master cyl. to get the brake pedal assembly off.      If the brakes are hanging up here it will be alot easier to fix than if the rear master cyl. is messed up.   I'm thinking the KX and the YZ brake assemblies look similar.   
    Have a look at the clymer in the rear brake section.  then go over to the YZ and see if you can Isolate the problem.
 You need that back brake!
     Oh yea,  the I got an e-mail from Jets-R-Us.. Your Items have been shipped!
   Tuck\o/

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #444 on: August 19, 2011, 12:06:02 PM »
The kx and yz brakes look NOTHING alike! lol kx is drum and yz is disk. Ill have to look some info up later
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline crazyolbastard

« Reply #445 on: August 19, 2011, 01:38:31 PM »
I think what Tuck is suggesting is remove the pin that moves the arm to the rear brake master cylinder.
Just check the movement of the peddle to start.
It could need to be cleaned up and serviced.
I have another idea but start there.
Good luck Chris
Crazy Ol Bastard

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #446 on: August 19, 2011, 03:12:44 PM »
Im already used to taking the carb on and off the yz so my friends came over and I was bored so I took it off and taught one of them how it works . And do any of you have a video of what you are trying to get across? cause I still dont understand...The guy that I bought the yz from contacted me today asking how I like the bike. I told him how the rear brake doesnt work and he said when he had it he remembers it working...so maybe the fluid...Thanks

Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #447 on: August 19, 2011, 09:08:16 PM »
 If you have any Idea's Crazy Please throw it out there.
Yes That's what I was trying to get to at Thanks.
           There is only one moving part to the rear brake pedal, and the plunger for the master cyl.
 I can understand what would make the pedal so hard to push down, but what would cause the pedal to "Stay down" and not return....
      It is a pretty serious problem to have a rear brake that doesn't work properly on a bike that will do 45mph or better.
  Tuck\o/

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #448 on: August 20, 2011, 05:59:11 AM »
Well no hurry on the rear brake cause believe it or not but even when I pin my kx I always use the front brake. I would like to fix it but theres no hurry. More focused on the jetting. If any of you have a video to show what I have to do I would get it cause Im not use to these kind of brakes and I never work on brakes. A video would be good. It will do much more than 45! My kx will do more than 45 without the power it had before since it wasnt jetted! Let me know guys! Thanks

Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #449 on: August 20, 2011, 10:03:50 AM »
not read all of this brake thing, but after cleaning and greasing lever and pivot,and clevis,maybe knackered pad pins, divotted, bent(ooh matron) or ungreased????
you need functioning back brake to drop the front wheel if she goes 'hard arise' on ya as shutting throttle is less effective on a 2 stroke (negligible engine braking)and if your north of the balance point the back brake is your only friend.K.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 10:07:09 AM by kwakman »
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....