Author Topic: KX60 HELP! In need of rebuild!  (Read 219953 times)

Motorrad

Re: KX60 HELP! In need of rebuild!
« Reply #345 on: July 31, 2011, 02:50:56 PM »
#1... if you start it without the Carb clamp on.... You will cook a motor and be right back where you started.....

#2.  adjustment for the clutch is made up on the bars... (screw the adjuster all the way in... feel for freeplay and adjust from there)..

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #346 on: July 31, 2011, 02:51:53 PM »
 :lol:
  SLOW DOWN!   I can't type that fast!  Re-read the above post.  You don't need to buy anything.  You don't need to remove any engine parts.

Mo-Rad Is (and Rightly so!) concerned about getting the engine started without the carb secured to the intake Boot.
  This will cause a lean condition that (most likely) could lead to a run-away, ruining the engine again and in short order.

I'm going to look for a video on how to adjust your clutch and how to check for spark.

Let me see if I can clear this up, the clutch currently has no freeplay and the clutch is slipping in gear.
What this tells me is there is so much pressure on the clutch arm the bike can be pushed in gear and the tire is rolling.

Just to get the clutch fully released may take more adjustment than what is available at the lever.

That's why I want to make sure the bottom of the cable is not only attached correctly, but most of the adjustment is done, just as you would when you would replace the cable.

We'll do one thing at a time. and figure this out.

You are  more lucky than you think.
  If the bike would have started the clutch would have fried quickly.  The carb clamp not withstanding!
  That thing was on pretty snug  , and I'm trying to figure out what else was missing from the reed block?
  T\o/
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 02:58:18 AM by Friar-Tuck »
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Motorrad

« Reply #347 on: July 31, 2011, 02:57:35 PM »
:lol: :lol: :lol:
   I think he needs to start from scratch.  Well heck, It doesn't matter to me as long as he get's the clutch adjusted :-D
  I always made the inital adjustment at the bottom of the cable and left the fine adjustment at the lever.
  T\o/

Id much rather have to buy and install a new clutch due to frying it.... than a piston, bearings, etc etc... due to a air leak..

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #348 on: July 31, 2011, 03:08:57 PM »
  :lol: :lol:
 Oh Good Grief... I said we were gonna do one thing at a time Mo-rad.  Stick with the program :lol:

The clamp is there, I can't remember if I used old towels or shirts, then two plastic bags..
( Hey doesn't this sound familiar)
               I got a big can of the spray foam and 4 or 5 burlap sacks my kids left here from summer camp last year.
I'm sure there was a big mess to clean up add a little enthusiasm and I think the clamp ended up in the shirt/towel or blue plastic bag.

Bottom line
DO NOT TRY TO START THE BIKE WITHOUT THE CARB CLAMP!!

Enuff for tonight it's way too late back east.  turn off the computor text me tommorrow at 12:00 noon NJ time and we'll continue!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 03:16:45 PM by Friar-Tuck »

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #349 on: July 31, 2011, 03:22:21 PM »
Ok I will look for the carb clamp tomorrow. Are you guys talking about me having to open the clutch cover and fool around with stuff or just adjusting the handle and the two bolts on the clutch arm?

Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #350 on: July 31, 2011, 05:14:30 PM »
AARRrghh!
  I'm Calling your parents and telling them to duct tape you on a work stool and only leave one hand free to work on the KX.

ONE THING AT A TIME 
If You Read this before you call, I want you to release the tension on the clutch.

You Wanna know why the wheel was turning while you tried to push start it.

I am gonna show you why it happened
I am gonna show you How to remedy it  (well I already did but we are spinning our wheels here four posts later)

But we are only gonna do one thing at a time... if you want to know whats next.
We are gonna make sure your carb didn't fill your engine with fuel oil mix and figure out why that happened.
  That's all you get to know now.

WHY your bike is in gear and you can push it rolling the rear tire.

The washer was missing between  the clutch release button, and the thrust bearing.
I Fixed (or replaced) it.
     When you  hooked up your clutch it was adjusted to take up the slack (or space) the washer should have. 

All you had to do was adjust your clutch freeplay. (Which is what we are going to do first.)

When you remove your cable the clutch arm moves quite freely, I polished it, and the corner of arm that cams over the release button.

What you have right now is a clutch that is always applied or Slipping.

It's a good thing the engine didn't start.

You would have fried the clutch! Well Like Mo-Rad Pointed out, the engine probably would have run away without that carb mounted properly, and then it would have been back to square one with a blown engine!

So Step by Step:

Get a crescent or adjustable wrench (or an open end large enough)

and open it to fit the clutch arm. Don't use Channel locks, pliers or vice grips, it digs into the clutch arm and leaves sharp edges.  I filed the ones that were on there down, so no-one  would get cut.

Apply pressure and remove the cable. (towards the little Perch that holds the adjuster)

WE have to start over.
  Loosen the nuts on the clutch cable at the little perch and let all the slack out.

Unwind or put back all the slack available in your clutch lever at the perch.

Now you should be able to hook up your clutch cable.

We are gonna adjust out most of the freeplay at the cable near the clutch arm or the bottom end of the cable.
That way you can quickly adjust the lever if you need to later up top.

Check your Clymer for the amount of clutch freeplay and dial it in.

Lock the cable in at the bottom there are usually two nuts 10 or 12 mm.

Look it up in your CLYMER " how to adjust your clutch freeplay"
 Read it follow it it should look something like this.

If there is any question what to do. Stop.

Are you guys talking about me having to open the clutch cover and fool around with stuff or just adjusting the handle and the two bolts on the clutch arm?
  No Not even Close....

Help me out here guys:
What am I not getting across.  I just want him to adjust the clutch freeplay.
  Maybe someone else can fill in the blanks.
 We will get to the other problems.
 Later

T\o/

« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 03:23:00 AM by Friar-Tuck »

Offline Marco810

« Reply #351 on: July 31, 2011, 06:05:21 PM »
 Help me out here guys:
What am I not getting across.  I just want him to adjust the clutch freeplay.

I think your stressing it to much Tuck. The engine isnt in your hands anymore. all you can do is give advise and hope for the best

Motorrad

« Reply #352 on: July 31, 2011, 06:59:00 PM »

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #353 on: August 01, 2011, 02:39:39 AM »
Thanks MO-Rad 
  Since CM has to re-attach the cable at the bottom end or Clutch arm, I want to make sure it's attached correctly.
  Essentially he is replacing the clutch cable, threading the cable through the bike is allready done.

I have had more than one bike come in with both nuts on same side of cable attachment point.

Take up the largest portion of adjustment in the lower cable adjustment, and dial in the lever. 

As it stands, I don't know if he can get enough adjustment out of the lever alone, as there were some parts missing when it was adjusted by prev owner.

I think your stressing it to much Tuck
Yes Marco you are Correct... :|

What I need you to see is how he hooks up the bottom end of the clutch cable to the arm coming out of the sidecase.

The Two nuts on the end of the clutch cable secure it to the mount off the back of your cyl head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHhNsYLZVD0

When that's all good we can move on.
  T\o/
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 03:25:19 AM by Friar-Tuck »

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #354 on: August 01, 2011, 03:30:04 AM »
I watched all the videos and took all your advice and I did put the cable in that exact way...Although I didnt adjust it...This whole time I was saying how to adjust it I ment how to TUNE it! LOL! SOrry guys. I will head to the garage for now.
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #355 on: August 01, 2011, 04:44:53 AM »

Well, Hang on lets get this straightened out.
  You installed the engine and had to attach and adjust the clutch cable.
   Once the cable was attached you Adjusted the Freeplay.

The FreePlay is the amount of travel at the lever Before the clutch starts to engage.

Another way to say it would be how much Free Travel You Have in the cable at the lever Before The Clutch starts to engage.
  Look in your clymer for what it is supposed to be.
There will also be directions on how to adjust it.

CM found the Carb clamp and installed it...and before I could type out the next set of instructions He started the bike and blasted off.... 
   Tuck\o/

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #356 on: August 01, 2011, 05:02:44 AM »

After you ride around a bit and settle down we have to address the fuel issue.
   So get your Clymer and open it to the fuel section and read the first part about how the carb works and how to adjust your Idle.
   Don't forget to turn off your fuel when your done so we don't flood the engine or the garage with fuel.

When your ready we will remove the carb and see about the needle seat and if we can remedy the leaking valve.
   Tuck\o/

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #357 on: August 01, 2011, 05:05:03 AM »
WE HAVE LIFTOFF! I found the clamp buried in the box and I adjusted the freeplay. I have to head to the doctors right now but when I get back around 4 I have to adjust the gold idle screw...the bike wouldnt kick start so i second gear dropped it (yes I know its not good but...) and it started but was bogging like crazy and once i stopped giving gas it shut right off....man that powerband is AWESOME! THanks everyone

Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Motorrad

« Reply #358 on: August 01, 2011, 07:39:27 AM »
WE HAVE LIFTOFF! I found the clamp buried in the box and I adjusted the freeplay. I have to head to the doctors right now but when I get back around 4 I have to adjust the gold idle screw...the bike wouldnt kick start so i second gear dropped it (yes I know its not good but...) and it started but was bogging like crazy and once i stopped giving gas it shut right off....man that powerband is AWESOME! THanks everyone

Chris

Sounds float needle seat related to me...

I when having carbs shipped back and forth (having old amal carbs bored and sleeved for the worn slides)  have had an issue before of a little piece of packing penuts getting to places they shouldnt be...

Offline Marco810

« Reply #359 on: August 01, 2011, 09:32:13 AM »
Dont tell me you just started ripping on it without breaking it in?!. or did you even replace the piston?