Author Topic: KX60 HELP! In need of rebuild!  (Read 219824 times)

Motorrad

Offline chris-mets

Re: KX60 HELP! In need of rebuild!
« Reply #136 on: June 14, 2011, 11:21:22 AM »
motorrad...i was texting you and you didnt reply lol...and I have both bearings and seals in the cases....none are on the crank....I get the crank in the tranny side of the case and it goes in with light tap...when i try to evenly put the empty case halve I cant get it on without making the crank not move....
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Motorrad

« Reply #137 on: June 14, 2011, 11:28:01 AM »
Have you tryed the Heat, freeze method?

I think without it, your binding things up
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 11:30:18 AM by Motorrad »

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #138 on: June 14, 2011, 11:29:32 AM »
i thought that method only works to get the bearings in the cases...do I just freeze the crank then try to put it in again?
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Motorrad

« Reply #139 on: June 14, 2011, 11:31:31 AM »
i thought that method only works to get the bearings in the cases...do I just freeze the crank then try to put it in again?

Okay. berings in cases..

Heat some sockets (the SAME size as the INNER RACE ofthe bearing..     to 500D F... 

Hold on.. I have a explination of my own somewhre... Ill ink to..

But yes.. it works to..

Need to have the crank in the freezer for like 4 hrs... MINIMUM...

Motorrad

« Reply #140 on: June 14, 2011, 11:33:55 AM »
Here it is...

Get some Juice in a Sippy cup, since your not old enough to have a beer   :-P

Didnt see the "adaptor".. Didnt follow this post till just now

Here is my order.... Not for the faint of heart, or the SLOW worker.. as it all happens VERY VERY fast..

Get a Beer...

I install crank seals, then mains in the cases Using Heat/freeze method (drink a beer)....   install tranny...  (dont forget to GREASE ALL SEALS)   

Oil crank.... put in freezer overnight... Have another beer or 4

Next day... turn oven on to 500F..   put in 4 impact sockets, that are same size as "inner race" on mains.. Have a beer.

let sockets heat for about an hour... or so.. have 2 beers

take 2 sockets out... Place on the inner race of each case.. for about 4min... This method keeps all heat away from crank seals (your next to the freezer, get another beer)

While those are on there... Put Case sealer on Primary side case..

Get other 2 sockets... Place on mains (take other 2 off).. (need another beer?)

let sit for 2 min... then go get the crank (my freezer is a 1min round trip from bench).. (no time for beer need to work fast at this point.)

Drop crank in Clutch side case (the one the tranny is in)... it will fall all the way through and go "CLUNK" against the main...  (have to have case proped up so crank end wont hit bench).. I have a universal motor stand built out of 2x4's for this...

Imediatly get ignition side case.. and Drop on...

Make quick sure it spins free and is centered..   now is the quick time for a light tap with a rubber hammer to undo any bind your in...

Install Case bolts you ALREADY HAVE LAYED OUT.. In order... along with proper tools.....

Torque to half spec...
...........Have a sip of beer................   
Torque to full spec...

Have a beer.. you did good..

Motorrad

« Reply #141 on: June 14, 2011, 11:37:21 AM »
Here is the thread that quote came from BTW... if you want to do more reading

Doug and Tsari have a hibreed way of doing it.. that isnt as... FAST..  May be better for you... My way.. MOVES FAST.. have to have all your ducks in a row..

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,8811.msg71771.html#msg71771

I have also done it my way, in stages...   
Heat clutch side case, freeze crank... drop in....         Then Freeze ENTIRE tranny and crank AGAIN.. (god bless Chest freezers)   and repeat with ignition side case...

(reasons I do this way is... when all my ducks dont line up.. and I have to abort mission half way through......  :roll: :roll: )
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 11:40:26 AM by Motorrad »

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #142 on: June 14, 2011, 11:42:19 AM »
Ok well I will freeze the crank overnight....but I dont understand what heating the sockets are for....the seals and bearings are in the case already
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Motorrad

« Reply #143 on: June 14, 2011, 11:46:06 AM »
Ok well I will freeze the crank overnight....but I dont understand what heating the sockets are for....the seals and bearings are in the case already

To heat up the INNER race of the bearing.... to Expand it...   So the crank will just FALL IN..    the greater tempurature variance you can have, the easyer it will go together..

also note... Using this method..   the crank wont spin free till all your temps equalize...   

Also from Ricks post I linked you to... a tap of the crank with a dead blow is somthing I left out...   JUST A TAP..   dont bend things..      a crank Jig is your friend..

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #144 on: June 14, 2011, 11:50:31 AM »
ok lets make things clear....so i put the crank in the freezer overnight and it will be in there until 3 pm tomorrow...then I heat a socket that fits in the circle of the bearing at 500f for an hour then I take it right out after an hour and press it against the 2 bearings for like a minute? then i place the crank in the tranny side then i place the other side on easily...then wait 5 mins then done? and i screw all the screws in? please correct me
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Motorrad

« Reply #145 on: June 14, 2011, 11:56:34 AM »
ok lets make things clear....so i put the crank in the freezer overnight and it will be in there until 3 pm tomorrow...then I heat a socket that fits in the circle of the bearing at 500f for an hour then I take it right out after an hour and press it against the 2 bearings for like a minute? then i place the crank in the tranny side then i place the other side on easily...then wait 5 mins then done? and i screw all the screws in? please correct me

Read the quote I wrote 4 more times.....   Its pretty step by step...

To clarify the sockets... NOT IN THE CIRLE... on the circle..     
See picture..

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #146 on: June 14, 2011, 12:01:52 PM »
Ohhhh hahah thanks...about heating the socket....i put in for an hour at 500f and do i turn it off after an hour and wait like 20 mins for it to cool down cause how would i pick that thing up without burning my hand off??? and do I just get the socket and place it on the bearings and wait a minute on each bearing?
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Motorrad

« Reply #147 on: June 14, 2011, 12:23:38 PM »
Ohhhh hahah thanks...about heating the socket....i put in for an hour at 500f and do i turn it off after an hour and wait like 20 mins for it to cool down cause how would i pick that thing up without burning my hand off??? and do I just get the socket and place it on the bearings and wait a minute on each bearing?

Channel locks, tongs., vice grips.... a dumb friend.... etc..    the purpose of the HOT socket, is to be HOT.. and transfer the heat to the bearing race..

4 min per socket swap (read directions again, its there)

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #148 on: June 14, 2011, 12:35:47 PM »
Ok I put the crankshaft in the freezer...tomorrow around 3 pm I will cook the socket at 500f for an hour than take it out with a vice grip...then I take the crankshaft out and hold the socket on the 2 bearings 4 minutes each...then I place the crank in the tranny side...then I put the yamalube on the other side and place it on and screw some screws on tight...correcto?
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #149 on: June 14, 2011, 01:38:51 PM »
  :-D You could have put the crank in a plastic bag (shopping bag etc) but thats the Idea.   MoRads thread also said to lay out your case bolts in advance,  and put them in half torque first have a beer while things are equalizing, and then final torque.

I think it would be easier if you took the long post and broke it down to one step at a time on 3x5 index cards.

Thank you for taking the time to post all the information and set up the photo's.
         You will be glad you did when it comes time to write the book.    That chapter would be done! 8-)   
                   Unless you told him how to use the pick-up truck press method.. :lol:

Tuck\o/
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 01:46:03 PM by Friar-Tuck »
"The Truth Has No Agenda"