Author Topic: does this sound right  (Read 4387 times)

Offline jonny500

does this sound right
« on: March 30, 2011, 02:53:48 AM »
the engine has about 1/2 hour run time on it. i have noticed it is taking a while to settle back to idle when warm, i would like some opinions. maybe from some of the experienced guys mottorad don46 kaw rider or any body. have a look and listen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkxyhHr7hjo
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 06:55:08 AM by jonny500 »

Offline mwalker04

Re: does this sound right
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 03:07:58 AM »
Sounds about normal to me, nice steel frame conversion.

Offline zskunk

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 03:10:53 AM »
that bike sounds good .. maybe your idle screw needs backed out a touch.

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 03:20:08 AM »
Sound verry normal to me to.
When the engine gets warmer, the mixture gets a bit leaner. Then it takes a couple of
turn to set on a K5. If you have trouble when riding and feels the bike is going when you shut the throtle.
Then maybe a litle turn to the right on your air screw to richen up the mixture I think.

What I've learned is than a bike should only idle for 3 to 4 seconds, so it doesn't "push"in the turns.

Looks great Jonny.

Dutch
Proud owner of a KX500AF

Offline don46

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 05:17:15 AM »
That doesn't sound to bad, the one thing to remember is ther is alot of rotating mass, and once you get it spinning it takes abit to slow down.

Dutchie, I'm not sure exactly what your saying, but typically when it is warmer the motor is richer, colder leaner.

Johnny, before you get to serious about jetting in the garage, get it running and take it for a little ride to clean it out and make sure it isn't loaded up, then start the jetting process.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline jonny500

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 06:29:45 AM »
thanks dutchie, don and all. i think what dutchie is saying is that when the engine is warm it should idle for around  5 secs before stalling and this will stop that lurching over run in corners. as long as it sounds some where near to you guys. i have limited experence of 500, here u.k they are few and far between. should hopefully give it a run this weekend and do some plug tests. thanks again every one

Offline greencannon

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 12:18:33 PM »
that last twist of the throttle sounded like it took a bit longer to come down to idle.  Make sure your cable is routed (freely) is not pinched and check the throttle housing (too tight/too loose) to the bars and try it again.  it does sound good but my bike seems to come back to idle quicker than yours

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 05:16:06 AM »
that sounds fairly normal to me. are you running a flywheel weight? if you are it will come down to idle slower due to that extra rotating mass. that's what a weight is intended to do. if you are concerned with a slow idle down, i would remove the carb and leave it connected to the throttle cabe and then you can open up the slide with the twist and verify that it snaps closed. you want it to snap closed nice and crisp with no drag.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 05:18:29 AM by maddoggy »

Offline jonny500

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 07:25:25 AM »
thanks all. throttle is returning fine. no flywheel weight. what i was talking happened right after the last rev. i have got some mods to do to the throttle cable to be sure then i am going to ride it and go from there

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 11:58:24 AM »
Johnny,
I know the cable on my 250 has alot more angle at the carb to clear the gas tank versus the one on my 500. Are you using the 500 throtlle, cable & carb? Just thought it might be something to check before you take her out for it's maiden voyage.
DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline Purpletj

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 03:19:25 PM »
I will get you a vid tomorrow with the GoPro of my bike. Maybe its just me,but yours sounds maybe a little lean.
"When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes. When you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours. That's relativity." -- Albert Einstein

Offline jonny500

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 08:02:58 PM »
thanks purple, i look forward to it. doldguy, there are some issues with the carb top and fuel tank but i have a remedie for it i am just waiting for parts, i with start a new thread and explain all with pics and part No. ect when the part arrive. i dont think the cable was causing problems but like you say i think it needs to be addressed before the maiden voyage or it could end in  a similar way to Titanics :lol:

Offline Purpletj

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 09:41:09 AM »
Ok Johnny, Here is 2 short vids. And yes my idle is set low.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9zOv639m_A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeUrOQXbtHI
"When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes. When you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours. That's relativity." -- Albert Einstein

Offline Purpletj

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 09:44:02 AM »
when I get a chance i will gets some longer vids. I upset the neighbors sometimes running the streets.

Offline jonny500

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 05:46:40 PM »
thanks purple, that sounds very nice and smooth. i think i am going to lose the idle