Author Topic: Best Clutch Lever  (Read 7834 times)

Offline Big Yac

Best Clutch Lever
« on: March 23, 2011, 03:30:19 PM »
I know this has probably been discussed but what does everyone think is the best clutch lever for the KX 500 which will give me a nice smooth and easy pull?  I have heard bad things about the Moose EZ Pull.  I actually now have an MSR Raptor on it but I don't think my clutch is disengaging fully.  Would something with a bearing in it give less pull than stock while still allowing the clutch to disengage all the way?  I don't want to spend too much but I can do up to about $100.00.  Thanks.

Offline DoldGuy

Re: Best Clutch Lever
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 03:41:17 PM »
Measure your clutch plates.
DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 03:43:15 PM »
notched clutch basket.

Motorrad

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 05:08:55 PM »
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 06:01:25 PM by Motorrad »

Offline meangreen

• My old 89 KX250
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 06:07:00 PM »
Definitely check your clutch basket to see if it is "groovy baby". 

Also a good idea to check your cable, sometimes they are routed wrong and get heated up by the pipe.  A new cable makes a huge difference. 

I use a MSR clutch perch that has a CR lever ratio and a needle bearing at the pivot point.  It still has a a noticeable pull, but you are on a manly machine - expect it.

Grease your barrel fittings at the ends of the cable so that they rotate in the lever and the actuator.  If you start messing with leverage ratios in a big way (via raptor or EZ-clutch), you can burn up a clutch pretty easy if/when it goes out of adjustment.

MG
You know you are having fun when you have dirt on your teeth!

Offline Big Yac

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 03:05:06 AM »
The basket is fine and the plates are all pretty new.  I think I'm going to ditch the Raptor lever and run a new Motion Pro cable with better routing and an ASV lever/perch combo.  Thanks for the help.   :-)

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 04:27:58 AM »
Another trick you can do that's free is move the clutch perch to the right, so your fingers get more leverage on the clutch lever.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Motorrad

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 04:28:55 AM »
The basket is fine and the plates are all pretty new.  I think I'm going to ditch the Raptor lever and run a new Motion Pro cable with better routing and an ASV lever/perch combo.  Thanks for the help.   :-)

I've been wanting to try out a raptor lever if ur interested in selling it...

Offline Big Yac

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 12:08:59 PM »
What an absolutely awesome site this is.  I ask a simple question and get a bunch of different answers that are all great advice.  I definitely am glad I joined.  I found a flash drive full of pics from my old computer, I'll have to get a picture of my bike up soon.  Thanks everyone.    :-D 

Offline alward25

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 12:37:17 PM »
The clutch pull on my with my raptor is sweet.  I wish it had on the fly thumb adjust.  That would make it perfect.  i think I am going to try an ASV for fun.

I've been wanting to try out a raptor lever if ur interested in selling it...
"Let there be light"

Offline 2-Stroke Tom

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 02:21:02 PM »
When I bought my KX500 it had the Works Connection clutch lever on it since they sponsored the Team Green desert racers. I was a little bent, so I replaced it with an ASV lever. The ASV lever (Pro C5 model) is a much better design, and the lever swings out in case of a crash. The ASV lever, new clutch cable, and clutch cable routing modification made the lever pull similar to my KX250

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 03:19:49 PM »
I got myself the renthal intellilever, it is a nice billet piece of aluminium. And it bends in all directions, but hopefully I will never have to use that option! I have not got it set up yet, but by the look of it it's the most adjustable lever I have ever seen! :wink:

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 12:59:54 AM »
If your gonna run the high dollar lever/perch set ups , I recommend spending a little money wrap around handgaurds to protect your investment , the Maier's are cheap but work great with the add on upper shields . They also make a huge difference in cold weather riding.CBX
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline russ

• my 1989 k5
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 02:28:12 PM »
that pick of the basket and thoes groves i have that lol can i file them away
bikes

1989 kx500

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 03:30:18 AM »
Yes Russ,
 You can file the grooves, but think about this.. 
 If you are unable to file the same amount off and keep the basket tangs square, the grooving will come back sooner as the clutch plates will be hitting the basket "Tang" with the least amount of   filing (or materiel removed) first.

If at all possible could you find a machinist to re-cut the face(s) of the basket? 
  Am I making any sense here guys?

Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"