Author Topic: Project "I was only gonna clean the air filter!"  (Read 130072 times)

Motorrad

Re: Project "I was only gonna clean the air filter!"
« Reply #345 on: April 24, 2013, 05:33:46 AM »
Oscar,  Did you change the slide or are you running the 6.0 it came with? I think I'm going to try the PWK on my new 500 project, try to get one to run better than the other without getting tooo far apart. should try one of these    http://www.powerapt.com/smartcarb-green.php
just can't get past the price, I think the Flyin Hawaiian is getting one. I know a guy that has one on a snow bike and swears by it, design looks alot like the old PSI carbs .

The 41pwk he got .. he bought off me...    which I ordered   with a #7 slide in it already.

I didnt realize that the smartcarb was a  Dshape bore.   Hmm  may have to look into those.

Thanks, I have 7's and 8's so I can find the right one just looking to go the easy route.

The bore is something like the old PSI The billett APT is $775, I was told the cast are going to be $375

The cast one is tolerable in price.

So. what makes them better than the Lectron.

just looks to be a D-shaped lectron   with the vents run back into the venturi instead of to atmosphere

Offline don46

« Reply #346 on: April 24, 2013, 08:34:54 AM »
they are supposed to have some sort of compensation for elevation and/or something that take into account air density or some such, to be honest I haven't spent enough time researching them.

So my mailman delivered my 41 today, and I noticed the slide sticks down into the bore a little, did you grind off the top of the slide to allow it to go further up in the bore?
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Motorrad

« Reply #347 on: April 24, 2013, 10:02:28 AM »
they are supposed to have some sort of compensation for elevation and/or something that take into account air density or some such, to be honest I haven't spent enough time researching them.

So my mailman delivered my 41 today, and I noticed the slide sticks down into the bore a little, did you grind off the top of the slide to allow it to go further up in the bore?

Make sure you hold it up to daylight or a flashlight  with the slide closed and there isnt any "light" comming past the sides of the slide..

I returned 2 carbs before I got one that didnt...

As for total open.     I mine did that also.. and it was a easy fix... simple..   and I dont recall what it was.    Ill go take appart a PWK on my bench to see if I remember...        (have lectron on the brain, since its what Ive been playing with for a long while)

Motorrad

« Reply #348 on: April 24, 2013, 10:17:08 AM »
If I recall.  They ship with the white cable index thing not lined up..   Take it apart and make sure it's in it's groove

Offline don46

« Reply #349 on: April 24, 2013, 02:21:29 PM »
I checked that as well, I think with the bore so big the top of the raised part of the slide hits the cap, I ground off the top a little bit and fits like a champ.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #350 on: May 19, 2013, 10:13:13 AM »
 :cry: :cry: :cry:

There will be a sequal to this thread titled "Stuck Pistons are why jetting is so important"

You will be able to read the details in the ride report regarding the latest "California Ride"..........

Long story short.....Not enough Main Jet, got excited going down a long straight, Siezed..........

Good thing is I got a whole year of riding out of the bike and the damage is not bad at all.......

Pulled the motor there at camp and put it in the hands of the engine builder........Should be back in buisness shortly.  I got 2 good days of riding before I locked her up though.  Keep an eye out and read all about this in the "Riding Stories" section.  I will post up a ride report as soon as I rest up. :wink:
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Motorrad

« Reply #351 on: May 19, 2013, 01:44:02 PM »
 :roll:

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #352 on: May 19, 2013, 02:06:13 PM »
For the ride report where I killed "project I was only gonna clean the air filter".....follow the link

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,11645.msg92808.html#msg92808
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #353 on: May 19, 2013, 02:58:38 PM »
I'm sure your engine builder has things well in hand.... :lol:
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Motorrad

« Reply #354 on: May 19, 2013, 02:59:21 PM »
I'm sure your engine builder has things well in hand.... :lol:

should ask him what the first thing the engine builder made him do after it locked up..

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #355 on: May 19, 2013, 03:00:38 PM »
So USMC 500, what was the first thing your engine builder made you do after you seized it?
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #356 on: May 19, 2013, 03:04:06 PM »
So USMC 500, what was the first thing your engine builder made you do after you seized it?

He walked up to me after we got back to camp and with a twitchy mustache he said "Bring me your spark plug!" :lol:

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #357 on: May 19, 2013, 03:06:30 PM »
That's gotta hurt  :evil:

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #358 on: May 19, 2013, 03:14:15 PM »
That's gotta hurt  :evil:

It hurt like garden hose colonic hydrotherapy in a third world country!!

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #359 on: May 19, 2013, 03:15:55 PM »
Well.... At least he didn't ask for your air filter  :lol: