Author Topic: Project "I was only gonna clean the air filter!"  (Read 130087 times)

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
Re: Project "I was only gonna clean the air filter!"
« Reply #315 on: March 28, 2013, 01:06:36 PM »
OK....Now  I've done it.....I've been having issues with my kx500 petcock since I had the bike.....

first it was a bitch to turn on and off.....

I dissasembled it, cleaned it, and trimmed a coil off the spring.....still stiff.

So then I dissasembled it again but this time polished the nylon cone......no longer stiff but now it leaks. :x :x

I have had this thing on and off a few times and I can't get it to stop leaking.......all the o-rings are good.

So out of frustration I decided to upgrade petcocks.  I heard that you can make a petcock off a yamaha 1300 road bike work but you have to trim the tank........ :|...I don't wanna.

So I bit the bullet and out of impulse I bought one of these..........

I must be smoking some really strong stuff to pay $95 for a d**n Pingle petcock....but whats done is done and I'll have another goodie on my bike to brag about. :-D
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #316 on: March 28, 2013, 01:10:54 PM »
I'd say if it makes you happy,  then it's only money, but I don't want to provoke the wrath of those who are currently unemployed   :wink:

When you get it, would you mind providing some measurements?
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #317 on: March 28, 2013, 01:45:41 PM »
I'd say if it makes you happy,  then it's only money, but I don't want to provoke the wrath of those who are currently unemployed   :wink:

You got it.....as you wish.....at your service....anything for Blaster............

But you have to ask me nicely.....say "pretty please with a cherry on top with chocolate sprinkles and coconut shavings". :-D

And I think that there already is a little green eyed monster that has been provoked. :lol:
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline alward25

« Reply #318 on: March 28, 2013, 03:44:37 PM »
I thought the wr 426 petcock fit the tank too, that was my IMS tank though, it also has a reserve.
"Let there be light"

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #319 on: March 28, 2013, 04:13:25 PM »
I thought the wr 426 petcock fit the tank too, that was my IMS tank though, it also has a reserve.

Don't bust my bubble Alex!!  I still have the option to return within14 days of product arrival!!.......Don't make me do it!!

by the way....I think I'm winning the posting war. :-D

Motorrad

« Reply #320 on: March 28, 2013, 04:35:20 PM »

do you know this for sure alex?    If so.. its somthing I need to look into

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #321 on: March 28, 2013, 05:14:41 PM »

You got it.....as you wish.....at your service....anything for Blaster............

But you have to ask me nicely.....say "pretty please with a cherry on top with chocolate sprinkles and coconut shavings". :-D

And I think that there already is a little green eyed monster that has been provoked. :lol:

That's easy, Highlight the text you want to copy, press CTRL C, then put the cursor where you want the text to appear and press CTRL V
Pretty please with a cherry on top with chocolate sprinkles and coconut shavings.
That was easy  :-D
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #322 on: March 28, 2013, 05:19:32 PM »

That's easy, Highlight the text you want to copy, press CTRL C, then put the cursor where you want the text to appear and press CTRL V
Pretty please with a cherry on top with chocolate sprinkles and coconut shavings.
That was easy  :-D

And don't forget about that 2 piece clutch cover.........starting to lose my patience with you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline alward25

« Reply #323 on: March 28, 2013, 05:46:20 PM »

do you know this for sure alex?    If so.. its somthing I need to look into

BLASTER!!!!!! I need a YZ and KX petcock measurement.  Not me, just the rest of the world :roll:
"Let there be light"

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #324 on: March 28, 2013, 05:52:27 PM »
Sorry, I stopped paying attention to this thread  :-P

KX tank is easy.
I have sold all the YZ426 tanks.
I just got in a YZ400 in today but it has a aftermarket tank on it.
Let me do some checking...

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #325 on: March 28, 2013, 05:58:57 PM »
The petcock valve P/N is 4DP-24500-00-00
It fits the following:
1998 MOTOCROSS 4-STROKE - YZ400FK FUEL TANK
1998 YZ80K1 FUEL TANK
1999 COMPETITION (DEEP PURPLISH BLUE SOLID E) - YZ80L FUEL TANK
1999 MOTOCROSS 4-STROKE - YZ400FL FUEL TANK
2000 YZ426F - YZ426FM FUEL TANK
2000 YZ80 - YZ80M1 FUEL TANK
2000 YZ80M FUEL TANK
2001 YZ250F - YZ250FN FUEL TANK
2001 YZ426 - YZ426FN FUEL TANK
2001 YZ80 - YZ80N1 FUEL TANK
2001 YZ80N FUEL TANK
2002 YZ250F - YZ250FP FUEL TANK
2002 YZ426F - YZ426FP FUEL TANK
2002 YZ85 FUEL TANK
2002 YZ85 - YZ85P FUEL TANK
2003 YZ250F - YZ250FR FUEL TANK
2003 YZ450F - YZ450FR FUEL TANK
2003 YZ85 - YZ85R FUEL TANK
2004 YZ250F - YZ250FS FUEL TANK
2004 YZ450F - YZ450FS FUEL TANK
2004 YZ85 - YZ85S FUEL TANK
I don't have any in stock.
Maybe one of our other members could help out.

Offline alward25

« Reply #326 on: March 28, 2013, 06:48:32 PM »
could u check the bolt spacing? I put the stock petcock from my WR on my IMS tank when I swapped it out. The bolt pattern looks really close to a KX.  Not enough parts right in front of me to double check, I will do some digging.
"Let there be light"

Offline turdle

« Reply #327 on: March 29, 2013, 04:28:42 AM »
the shaving you have to do to make the yam 1300 pet cock fit, is just that,  minute. in case any one is interested. i saved the pieces i shaved off, so i will check tonite if i have them at home,[if not they are at the cottage workshop with my bikes]

Offline crazyolbastard

« Reply #328 on: March 29, 2013, 06:50:39 AM »
If ya drive thru Utah will ya stop ta help me clean my filter?
 :wink:

Sure....its easy.....first you start by making sure you have all the right tools.......socket set, wrenches, screw drivers, case splitter.... :-D

I got plenty of tools but how do ya get a rebuilt motor with all the other goodies like you did to your bike.

:evil:
Crazy Ol Bastard

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #329 on: March 30, 2013, 07:40:51 AM »
I have installed a 15 tooth countershaft sprocket and I have to say that I am in love.....the tall 15/45 gearing has made this bike what it is supposed to be.....rear tire no longer explodes with wheel spin...it now hooks and drives.  The "Flying M" motor has all the grunt in the world to pull this gearing through some technical secitons as well.  You can read the ride report by going here....

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,11397.0.html