Author Topic: Project "I was only gonna clean the air filter!"  (Read 130200 times)

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
Re: Project "I was only gonna clean the air filter!"
« Reply #135 on: March 17, 2012, 04:44:06 PM »
OOOOOOOOO Pretty!!! Drool
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Motorrad

« Reply #136 on: March 26, 2012, 04:20:05 PM »
Rumor around the water cooler is your Jug should be finished plating this week..... :wink:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 06:45:08 PM by Motorrad »

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #137 on: March 26, 2012, 04:32:49 PM »
Cool......bike over here is pretty much done......Just need one more little itty bitty detail......MOTOR!! :lol:
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Motorrad

« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2012, 12:35:34 PM »
Cool......bike over here is pretty much done......Just need one more little itty bitty detail......MOTOR!! :lol:

Been doing the same as me then..

sitting on my thumb waiting for parts...   

Your head is front left.

Offline alward25

« Reply #139 on: March 29, 2012, 12:49:50 PM »
me tooo!!!!
"Let there be light"

Motorrad

« Reply #140 on: March 29, 2012, 12:50:42 PM »
me tooo!!!!

haha.. seems to run in the circle..

Did you get the MSG that USMC wants a Lightened MZB ignition? 

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #141 on: March 29, 2012, 03:45:06 PM »
Yeah!!  USMC wants a lightened MZB ignition!! :-D  I don't know why but it seems like the right thing to do!!
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline alward25

« Reply #142 on: March 29, 2012, 04:58:54 PM »
Yes, it is always the right thing to do. I am on it.  We just got a new lathe set up to cut our own flywheels. This should cut down on lag time.  We hope to have them done this Saturday.  Just got home from Moab.  Been gone a week, now to play catch up.
"Let there be light"

Motorrad

« Reply #143 on: March 29, 2012, 06:44:13 PM »

I was just contacted by the local authorities..  they asked me to shut down this thread / Project..   as they just discovered one guy that has been watching it non-stop since it was first started.  Attached are some pictures of him...

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #144 on: March 30, 2012, 05:59:51 PM »
I'm not quite dead yet. (Monty Python Joke for you guys that don't know) :P
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Motorrad

« Reply #145 on: March 30, 2012, 06:24:06 PM »
I'm not quite dead yet. (Monty Python Joke for you guys that don't know) :P

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #146 on: April 01, 2012, 05:34:31 AM »
So project "I was only gonna clean the air filter" is almost at an end.....Bike itself is complete and all that is left to do is recieve the jug in the mail and put the motor in.  Once the K5 is running, then what? Well I had a great idea while I was in my office (bathroom) "thinking" about stuff  :roll:.  I am gonna build me an AF.....but it will be a CR500AF...

Now before you tear into me, here are my reasons....

Reason 1 is that I already have a running 1997 CR250 (Gen 1 frame).

Reason 2 is even better.  Wether its a KX or CR AF conversion it usually involves lots of frame cutting and modification.  Well with the Gen 1 CR250 frames there is no major mods needed.  The only cutting that is needed is cutting off the front motor mounts and welding on some new small mounts.  the swing arm needs some spacers made, the lower motor mounts line up perfect, and the upper head stay needs new brackets made.  There is a company that makes all the necessary mounts for this conversion for like $100 bucks.  The section on the front of the frame that you normally have to cut off and raise up to clear the pipe is already high enough to clear.  Again, NO MAJOR FRAME MODS NEEDED!!!  CR500 pipes almost mount up perfect...all you need to do is cut off and relocate the rear mounting tab that bolts the pipe to the rear of the frame.....no big deal, I don't have to have a pipe custom made or pay Service Honda big $$$ for a pipe.

I know that eveyone says the the CR250 Gen 1 frames were too stiff and not the greatest.....however the rigid frame should be perfect for a CR500.  Not to mention that I just spent some cash on new graphics, rebuilt suspension and other details to freshen up my CR250......

All I need now is a motor.  So if anyone knows of a CR500 doner bike or CR500 motor, carb, and electronics sitting around let me know.  I want to do this on a budget to see just how cheap I can build and AF for and I've seen cosmetic wise "beat up" CR500's on craigslist for like $800 bucks in the past.  Please keep your peepers open especially if you are in the state of California.

At the same time, I will have a CR250 motor, carb and electronics up for grabs.

Here are some pictures I found online of a 97 CR250 AF.....

So what does everyone think? :-D

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #147 on: April 01, 2012, 12:18:14 PM »
so I got the ball rolling!!  I have an ad on Los Angeles Ca, craigslist and Bakersfield, Ca craigslist.  I won't yank the motor and electronics out of the CR until I get an offer ( i hope ).  Project "I was bored and decided to make a CR500AF to match Project I was only gonna clean the air filter" coming soon to a theater near you. :evil:  Below are the pictures of my 1997CR250, canidate for CR500AF.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 06:47:14 AM by USMC 500 »

Offline alward25

"Let there be light"

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #149 on: April 01, 2012, 01:46:52 PM »
so I got the ball rolling!!  I have an ad on Los Angeles Ca, craigslist and Bakersfield, Ca craigslist.  I won't yank the motor and electronics out of the CR until I get an offer ( i hope ).

Yup thats the idea right there.  :-D. Getting the whole bike also helps in that you have ridden it & can tell that the motor is not catastrophized.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 02:17:36 PM by 81cr450 »
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF