Author Topic: Project "I was only gonna clean the air filter!"  (Read 130071 times)

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
Re: Project "I was only gonna clean the air filter!"
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2012, 04:20:12 PM »
My Forks and Shock are back from ESP and they look and feel great.....cant wait to ride on them!!  The project has got momentum!!  Come on people, cheer me on!! :-D

How come one of the decals is upside down? An ex-Navy mechanic notices that kind of stuff! Just kidding and good luck with your build!

I am not an ex-Marine......I am a Former Marine....

You are not ex-Navy.......You are Former Navy..... :-D

Thanks everyone.....the beast will live again soon...
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Motorrad

« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2012, 04:34:30 PM »
a bunch of motor parts fell off my bench today...   OOPS..

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2012, 05:41:16 PM »
a bunch of motor parts fell off my bench today...   OOPS..

Don't worry.....I won't tell your pop that you dropped his Bultaco crank...... :-D
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline kxpegger

« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2012, 05:51:17 PM »
My Forks and Shock are back from ESP and they look and feel great.....cant wait to ride on them!!  The project has got momentum!!  Come on people, cheer me on!! :-D

How come one of the decals is upside down? An ex-Navy mechanic notices that kind of stuff! Just kidding and good luck with your build!

I am not an ex-Marine......I am a Former Marine....

You are not ex-Navy.......You are Former Navy..... :-D

Thanks everyone.....the beast will live again soon...

We had Navy MH53Es' when I was on the USS Tripoli during the Persian Gulf War. They were set up for mine sweeping operations. We started out with the Marine stuff and an airwing at first but then off loaded you guys at the begining of the war. Once all you Marines were gone they turned us into a mine sweeping ship and brought the Navy MH53Es' aboard. Way more to the story but I'll save it for some other time!

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=uss+tripoli&view=detail&id=8CAB95DDB353DC1B354672A6EA6C55B3E4DDC0DA&first=0&qpvt=uss+tripoli&FORM=IDFRIR
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 06:03:58 PM by kxpegger »
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Motorrad

« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2012, 12:34:56 AM »
bultaco crank fell off the bench into a motor last week..

Your motor parts fell off the bench

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2012, 07:06:57 PM »
Sorry not the greatest pictures but..........ITS GETTING THERE!!!

I know I need new tires but once my suspension went on I couldn't resist seeing my baby on its wheels after over 2 years!! :-D

« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 06:35:57 AM by USMC 500 »

Offline 450 OX

« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2012, 07:41:20 AM »
looking good!:-D
06CRF450X, 01KX500, 02CRF450R, 95KX250, 89YZ250, 85YZ125, 79YZ125, 75MX125, 73MX100, 69TRAIL50

Motorrad

« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2012, 07:45:15 AM »
Lookin good..

Got a call some more of your parts showed up at Kawasaki..   Hopefully the one bearing is there I'm waiting on to slap the cases together..

« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 07:52:38 AM by Motorrad »

Motorrad

« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2012, 10:15:03 AM »
Hmm.. which way is up on a piston again?   the solid end goes down right?

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2012, 03:01:11 PM »

WOW!!  You are really clueless aren't you?!.......

Everyone knows that you put it in sideways and it will find its spot!!  Duh!! :wink:

Motorrad

« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2012, 03:24:13 PM »

Everyone knows that you put it in sideways and it will find its spot!!  Duh!! :wink:

That makes So much scense now!!     That's why we are WINDOW piston mod..    The window is for the rod to go through!!    GENIOUS!!

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2012, 03:29:07 PM »

That makes So much scense now!!     That's why we are WINDOW piston mod..    The window is for the rod to go through!!    GENIOUS!!

Thats what I'm here for......and make sure you torque the drain plug to the appropriate 230 ft lbs of torque.....we don't want any leaks now do we......... :-D

Motorrad

« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2012, 02:39:47 PM »
Snappd a picture of you giving your sheep a ride today...   

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2012, 03:34:11 PM »
Snappd a picture of you giving your sheep a ride today...   

the front end was lacking "feel" in the corners.......I thought the extra weight might have provided me better feed back from the front during HARD breaking..... :-D

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2012, 06:21:01 PM »
More progress!!!! :-D

OK here goes.....My compulsive nature has never really let me mix and match parts to make a "Frankenstein" bike but there is a first time for everything.

Here is the bike so far......the front fender is for an 05 KX250 (KX500 front plate did not need trimming)

The front brake master cylinder and steel braided brake line are from an 01 CR250 (for CR style routing

The fork guards used are for an 05-06 RMZ 450 (for the brake line clamp mount)

The Suzuki fork guards were used for a few reasons.....
For one, they are larger than the KX500 fork guards, and with the CR style routing I needed the mount for the brake line clamp.  Here is a picture of the KX500 fork guard next to the already mounted RM fork gaurds....another good point to mention is that the Acerbis RM fork guards are made from very dense, thick plastic and are rigid enough that the top fork guard guide is not necessary.

The RM fork guards are almost a plug and play upgrade.  In order to make them work I had to do a little trimming and spacing......not a whole lot of work and effort was needed to make them work though.

The front holes line up close enough to bolt right up however the side bolt hole ends up to far back.  To fix this I had to add some 1/8 inch little spacers to the front mounts and the side bolt hole lines up perfect.

Here is where the spacers were added (picture taken looking down the fork tube behind the fork guard)

Believe it or not I pulled the spacers from the old KX500 fork guards....hahaha!!!  The old fork gaurds come with some metal inserts which I pulled out to use as spacers......The picture below shows the empy holes from which they came.....

Next came some trimming.....I had to use a dremmel to cut away where the "old" brake line mount came in contact with the "new" brake side fork gaurd

The KX500 brake line clamp was just a bit tight to go on so I also had to do some "very slight" trimming at the brake line mount on the new fork guard......but not very much!!

Although both fork guards needed the 1/8 inch spacing to mount up, all the minor trimming that took place was only to the brake side fork guard.  I myself like the way it all came out.  

The insanity continues on year 3 of project "I was only gonna clean the air filter"!!

On a side note: The Renthal Fat Bar is now obviously mounted along with the ASV levers and GPR damper...My brand new FMF Desert Gnarly and Turbine Core II silencer showed up in the mail as well..... :-D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 06:42:18 AM by USMC 500 »