Author Topic: Project "I was only gonna clean the air filter!"  (Read 130066 times)

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
Re: Project "I was only gonna clean the air filter!"
« Reply #300 on: March 04, 2013, 02:11:00 PM »
Update.....still getting her cleaned up after the Gorman ride....also waiting on a new OEM cable to replace the junk motion pro that is giving me hell......

I also now have a promoto billet kick stand installed on the bike which will make looking for a tree to lean the bike on a thing of the past.  A huge thanks to (you know who you are) for the hook up......you've got a life long friend and riding partner!! 

Still messing with the PWK 41 (Huge thanks to you know who you are) but I think I've got the overflow problem kicked.  I will have photos and a nice little write up towards the end of the week once she is back together and I have the jetting dialed in.

Stay tuned to the next episode of Project "I was only gonna clean the air filter".......
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #301 on: March 04, 2013, 02:57:06 PM »
I can't wait  :-D
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #302 on: March 07, 2013, 01:53:55 PM »
This is what I picture when I think of Motorrad..........

"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Motorrad

« Reply #303 on: March 09, 2013, 06:30:14 AM »
Update.....still getting her cleaned up after the Gorman ride....also waiting on a new OEM cable to replace the junk motion pro that is giving me hell......

I also now have a promoto billet kick stand installed on the bike which will make looking for a tree to lean the bike on a thing of the past.  A huge thanks to (you know who you are) for the hook up......you've got a life long friend and riding partner!! 

Still messing with the PWK 41 (Huge thanks to you know who you are) but I think I've got the overflow problem kicked.  I will have photos and a nice little write up towards the end of the week once she is back together and I have the jetting dialed in.

Stay tuned to the next episode of Project "I was only gonna clean the air filter".......

well??!!

you have the JEtS.   I know  I mailed them to you.

Have you fixed all the YETIES?

Yeties in your intake are never good

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #304 on: March 09, 2013, 07:47:10 AM »
Ok update time.....My clutch cable hasn't shown up yet so I did what I could today.....

Started with the intake....In speaking with my engine builder I was informed that upsizing to a PWK 41 from a 39 might present a problem.  Inside the intake boot there is a lip that the carb seats against and when upsizing to a 41 that lip then becomes an obstruction......

Here you can see the lip inside the intake boot that the carb seats against

Here is the PWK 41 installed and you can see that the intake boot lip is still visable which will decrease the new carb size back to stock.......pointless to upsize the carburetor with this issue

So out came Mr. Dremel and I proceded to "match port" the intake boot to the carb...

A bit hard to tell in this photo but here is the carb installed into the intake boot after some trimming....

I also prerformed a little fix to my clutch arm mod.....I had to use Mr. Dremel again to increase the slot for the clutch cable mounting point.  Before I trimmed it the end of the cable had a bit of a kink to it.....not anymore.

Next on the punch list was the aluminum piece that protects the subframe from the chain rubbing on it.  The previous owner had this piece on there but it was crude and held on with a hose clamp.  I trimmed the piece as needed (again using Mr. Dremel) and then used rivets to mount it....

And the last thing on the list until the OEM clutch cable shows up was to finish mounting my new kickstand...

Once again a big thanks to both "You Know Who's" for providing me with this kickstand and the tip on the intake boot....
And thank you to Mr. Dremel for helping me out today with all the trimming

I just looked at my theoretical top speeds used the gearing commander website......All tranny ratios and tire sizes were accounted for so I got some interesting numbers....Not quite sure how accurate they are but here goes...

According to the calculator not factoring wind resistance and various other types of friction, with the stock 14/47 gearing in 5th gear at 8500 rpm the kx500 will go 103mph......

I currently have 14/45 which equates to 107 mph........I ordered a 15 front so with 15/45 my theoretical top speed will be 115mph....does this sound right to everyone?

Here is the link for the gearing commander website and all you have to do is load up the kx500 info from the drop down windows.

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

Being realistic I think I'm good for about 90-95 mph with the 14/45 and I think I'll be around 105mph with the 15/45 combo
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 07:34:45 AM by USMC 500 »

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #305 on: March 09, 2013, 12:33:58 PM »
After almost 5 years on KXRiders and over 500 posts I'm finally posting my first video..... :lol:

Motion Pro clutch cable with about 8 rides on it is now on the ground where it belongs.  My new OEM cable showed up and is now in its new home.....Don't cheap out on aftermarket clutch cables.....buy OEM because its worth it!!

I straightend out the new OEM cable Team Green style and lubed the cable.  If someone wants to post up how I lubed the cable and with what I lubed it with, feel free to post up. :-D

I installed the cable and made sure to apply a small amount of grease in key areas of the clutch perch.  Now keep in mind that as good as my clutch is now it still takes a slight amount of effort to pull because of the ASV shorty lever.  However the clutch pull is now amazing....

« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 07:36:14 AM by USMC 500 »

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #306 on: March 12, 2013, 02:51:31 PM »
She lives with her new PWK 41 transplant......the verdict?

Just idling she sounds different (in a good way).  I started off with a 168 main, needle 3rd clip, and a 60 pilot.  I made a few runs around my neighborhood and she runs much stronger.  I think she likes the 41 better. :-D.....I do have a bit of a stumble right off the bottom from closed throttle to quarter throttle......braaaaa, ba, ba, baaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Couldn't tell if I was rich or lean cause I'm still figuring out this carb jetting thang!!  I dropped down the pilot to a 58 and it got worse.  Was hard to get the bike to even idle.  Messed around with the air screw and made a few more runs up and down my hood........I came to realize that I am lean off the bottom.....

Back in goes the 60 and it idles fine now........So here is where the story gets good......I'm sitting on the bike, engine running, helmet on, in my driveway, in neutral, pointed down towards the street.......

About to grab the clutch to drop her into first and "Johnny Law" pulls into my driveway, I kill the engine....... :-o :-o :-o

You never know how good or bad things will get when they walk up towards you and say "How's it going buddy?"...

I say..."Just doing some "driveway tuning"......they smile and say "Sure you are".....

This good Kern County Sheriff then says....

"look, I don't wanna ruin your day so we're gonna go about our buisness and hopefully we won't hear your bike anymore, and keep in mind your bike isn't exactly quiet.....You follow what I'm saying?"........

" I hear you loud and clear Deputy"........

"Good, you have a good day now"........

:-D :-D :-D.............so tomorrow I plan to get off work early and head down the road a whole 5 minutes to my "legal" testing area to square away the jetting.  Hopefully I can get the 60 to work with some airscrew adjustments cause I don't have a 62 pilot to play with.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #307 on: March 12, 2013, 03:24:37 PM »
Thanks for the update and the pics.
It just so happens that I have a oversized carb and never gave the boot a second thought.....
Now that I'm tuned in me and Mr. Dremel are going to work over a few parts tomorrow....
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline alward25

« Reply #308 on: March 12, 2013, 04:07:13 PM »
looks way sharp!!!
"Let there be light"

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #309 on: March 12, 2013, 04:15:30 PM »
looks way sharp!!!

Are you talking about my K5 or are you talking about the MZB set up that I have on my K5?    :-D

Offline Charlie500

« Reply #310 on: March 12, 2013, 04:46:50 PM »
Be carefull with that kick stand. They bend extremely easy and then the next thing you know you got a groove worn into your swing arm....
2014 KX 450 Bark-Buster

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #311 on: March 12, 2013, 04:52:19 PM »
Be carefull with that kick stand. They bend extremely easy and then the next thing you know you got a groove worn into your swing arm....

Thanks Charlie.....good to know and I'll definitly keep an eye on it. :wink:

Motorrad

« Reply #312 on: March 18, 2013, 10:39:11 AM »
Open her up with the 41 yet?

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #313 on: March 18, 2013, 01:40:42 PM »
I must say again that it is so nice to be able to drive 5 min down the road and be able to test some machinery :-D

Update: Promoto side stand, convienient and no problems with it rubbing anything

OEM clutch cable team green style routing with clutch arm mod, clutch pull like butter

And finally, Keihin PWK 41 carburetor, STUPID FAST!!!

Bike starts on first kick, and it pulls harder than it used to from the word go all the way to WFO.  With the 14/45 gearing on the bike I achieved top speed immidiately.  I have a 15 tooth countershaft that will be going in very soon.  for this first test I was running a 58 pilot jet, 165 main jet, needle in the 3rd clip and 1.5 turns on the air screw.  The jetting is super close, maybe a hair on the lean side which would explain the huge "smile" factor.  I might go up on both the pilot and the main for my regular riding elevation of 3000ft.  I've heard people say that I would loose bottom end with and increase in mid to top with this carb.......I don't see it.  Bottom to Top is better than it was and it was just fine with the PWK 39.  I've ridden lots of bikes in my life and I can say that this is one of the best bikes I've ever ridden!!  I'll go on a high speed run once I have the 15/45 combo installed. :-D

« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 07:37:09 AM by USMC 500 »

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #314 on: March 26, 2013, 04:01:48 PM »
For those of you interested in seeing and hearing what this bike sounds like after all these years and posts, you can finally enjoy my labor of love...

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,10571.msg90138.html#msg90138

Oh and by the way....I know that the pictures on this thread are all missing.....did some reorganizing on photobucket and I have to change all the links.....please be patient. :-D