Author Topic: chain adjuster bolts!?  (Read 2652 times)

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
chain adjuster bolts!?
« on: March 11, 2011, 11:17:09 AM »
HEY MOTORRAD, DOLDGUY, ANYBODY!!!!!!!......lolll, I just got my frame, sub-frame, and swingarm back from powdercoat (silverado silver looks bitchen) and one of the bolt holes for the chain adjuster bolt seems to be stripping out.  When I pulled out the bolt during the tear down it was hell and I think the threads got beat up a little.  What size is that bolt, and what size tap do I need to retap?  P.S.......I'll post up picks as the build goes happens.
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline kxpegger

Re: chain adjuster bolts!?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 03:04:54 PM »
I'm anybody!

Chances are you have removed or displaced enough material where chasing the threads may not be enough. Going to the next size up may cause clearance issues with the swingarm when trying to use the next size bigger wrench on the adjuster lock nut. I went with TimeSerts on my son's bike and stayed with the same size bolts. I had it professionally done as a drill jig is required to keep everything square with the swingarm. My son is now a believer on the importance of greasing everytime the wheel comes off.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 03:08:12 PM by kxpegger »
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 03:47:35 PM »
I wonder if you could keep a heli-coil in there if you red loctited it. Yes grasshopper, the secret to that bolt is grease (or anti-seize in my case).......Cam.

Motorrad

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 03:54:22 PM »
I wonder if you could keep a heli-coil in there if you red loctited it. Yes grasshopper, the secret to that bolt is grease (or anti-seize in my case).......Cam.

I did one on a non Kx500 application this way..  As it stripped the day we were loading to go to the desert..  (otherwise I would have gone about it differant)

Used a Helicoil. and Loose fit Bearing retainer compound. (hydrolic fitting loctite works great in this application also).    let it dry, ran a Tap through the helicoil,  (to clean out exess retaining compound).   

has been in there for 10yrs now atleast.

(it was on a H**da)

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 07:09:39 PM »
You guys ROCK!!!  I usually put anti-seize on those bolts but unfortunatly I am not the original owner......Lazy Prick!!....lollll, I'll fill you all in on progress as it unfolds. :wink:
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 02:59:15 AM »
I think a Time Sert could be used without a jig setup. If the hole is drilled carefully, it should be good. I have never had any issue using them.

Just my thoughts. :-D
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 04:52:23 AM »
Time sert sounds good....do I have to buy a whole kit or do they come in individual sizes?  What size do I need?

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 08:16:11 AM »
Time sert sounds good....do I have to buy a whole kit or do they come in individual sizes?  What size do I need?

They come in a kit with a drill bit, a tap and counter sink tool. There will be inserts in the kit. Not sure of the size. Will have to measure thread pitch(1.5?).

http://www.timesert.com/html/mtrcsert.html
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.