Author Topic: On the subject of engine work  (Read 20457 times)

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
Re: On the subject of engine work
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2011, 02:49:45 PM »
I would think hard about who you have work on your K5 motor, Will it run with the stator the way it is, yes but you could be leaving some power on the table and possible problems down the road soon.

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2011, 11:57:36 AM »
Does anyone know of a way to Keep the clutch basket from grooveing so badly? what about the prox clutch basket, is that steel? Why does no one make an aftermarket steel basket for this bike? I would love to have a hinson basket in this thing OR just get it so I don't have to worry about grooveing. I don't even know the condition of my stock basket yet but I will soon. I am looking on ebay and I dont see much, any suggestions? I would like to get a nice new (or newish) basket for this bike build. any leads?  :|

Offline kaw rider

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2011, 12:12:48 PM »
there are the ones on ebay. You could buy a brand new oem basket. Or you could send me your grooved one and i can fix it.

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2011, 12:22:08 PM »
Hmmm..... Well, If I get the proX pro basket on ebay I would have to put the gears on it and stuff... I'm not too sure if mine is grooved, I will find out though. How would you fix a grooved basket? What about steel inserts or something? I cant' belive that kawa used a part that grooves so badly! WHY :?

Offline kaw rider

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2011, 12:37:43 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 12:39:36 PM by kaw rider »

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2011, 11:47:50 AM »
I've run a Hinson basket for a long time.  Pretty sure they are still available, great basket.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline PowerFiend

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2011, 04:34:16 AM »
I've run a Hinson basket for a long time.  Pretty sure they are still available, great basket.

I have not been able to find one. They haven't been sold in a couple years.

Offline PowerFiend

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2011, 04:37:35 AM »
...Carb. boreing mods and dial-a-jet from Dicks. I really like the look and idea of the Dicks mods and the dial-a-jet but am not too sure if it is what I want or, if it will work with everything else???? Am I being led astray by dirt bike mag. articles??
DECIDED TO GO WITH CPW'S 39.5 PWK CARB.- 02/28/11

Why did you decide not to go with Dick's mods? I know he specializes in the KTM 36mm carb taper bore to 39mm, but was myself wondering if he could do a 38mm to 40.5mm taper bore out of a PWK airstriker.

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2011, 12:38:46 PM »
I am wary on dick, he is tough to get a hold of and when you do it's a rushed convo. I think the mods. are a bit much anyway for my use. Not saying he does a bad job, just that now that he is all over bike Mags., he has got his hands full with work, and facetime, and riding, and racing,... busy guy! He's gonna call me mon. I will see about all of it then.

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2011, 10:52:01 AM »
Got in touch with Dick's racing today, he is currently working on the Carb. I sent him. He told me he should be finished up with it tomorrow. He is doing the taper bore on it and installing a dial-a-jet, and rejetting it to compensate. I hope he sets it up for C-10 fuel but i'm not sure. I will give it a try set up his way and see how it goes. In the near future I will buy the boysen rad valve setup also, and I will be able to do some testing between the C.P.W. 39.5mm PWK / Vforce2 reed setup, and the Dick's taper bore D-a-J stockie mod/ boysen RAD valve reed setup. And also the swap of that. I will be able to do a lot of swap out combos and see what works the best. That should be a good time! :wink: And Larry's got my head going good, I should be seeing that real soon. I just got a PM from him today and he said he's working on it. He's a great guy, I love how clean the work is! GOOD STUFF!

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2011, 10:36:56 AM »
Well I brought my head and Kips bolt down to my engine builder and spoke with him about a few things....

First of all, the cylinder and piston were plated and matched by millenium... Now with the horror plate jobs I have read on this site, how do you guys rate millenium as far as plate work goes? I hear USChrome is an excellent company, I just wanted to hear from him who did mine, and it was millenium. Any input? :?

Also, I had told him my flywheel was a bit corroded :-D(A bit??) and with the added weight of the stealthy f.w. weight, and the increased power out of the engine, I have heard of these things tearing themselves apart. And he told me he cleaned it up and it looked good, only surface corrosion. Said it looks brand new?(I didn't see it so I don't know!) But he told me no problem there and I don't NEED a new one. We will see. Also I got another source coil off ebay and I will check how the whole stator/generator/coil setup looks when I get it back, but I think I will just run the O.O.S. oem coil this season.

I Have not mentioned the chamfer on the piston window, for fear of sounding like an idiot. So I will just look at it myself when I get the motor back and see. Should be able to see it with a flashlight thru the intake. It will suck if it's not smoothed, but I think it will be.
I asked if he had looked at the clutch hub's for wear and he told me that they did not look too bad, but if they are worn a bit he will smooth them when he rebuilds it. That is fine for now, I guess.
I can change all that myself next year if I really need to (flywheel, coil, new clutch hubs, whatever) I'm not too worried about it, I think he will do a good job overall.
I just wanted to know peoples feelings on millenium
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 10:38:48 AM by delphipro5 »

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2011, 01:26:01 PM »
So nobody has any ratings on millenium? As far as plate jobs go?? :-(

Still wating on my engine. And my carb from dicks. :|
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 01:34:02 PM by delphipro5 »

Offline kaw rider

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2011, 02:47:51 PM »
here is a fresh plating job from mellenium. this cylinder has been replated 3 times for free under there warranty.  :?

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2011, 04:48:44 PM »
I know it's expensive but I think it's time they completely changed out their solution or pay for the right balance of chemicals to re-new their solution, and I don't mean just adding chrome.
Either way it's not cheap but re-plating 3 times  :?
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2011, 09:11:29 AM »
Thanks Kaw that's fantastic. I guess I pretty much just threw-up on this engine by letting this guy get his hands on it! I'M PISSED, I don't even know anymore. Whatever, F#@K it honestly. It's getting to the point that I don't even have the will to finish this whole agenda. NO help from anyone. Still 20 degrees outside. Maybe I should just take up shoveling snow as a hobby. I was going to post pics of the carb. I just got back from dick's, but screw it. I'm not even useing it anyway. And I don't even like what I see for a # of reasons. Oh-well I'm going to go watch some tv and actually enjoy my time off for a change. It's cheaper too, since all I seem to be able to get done right on this build is spend $$ :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

SORRY GUYS, I WILL BE THE FIRST TO ADMIT I AM VERY TEMPERMENTAL. I DO NOT MEAN ANYTHING BY IT. I will leave this post on here though.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 11:15:39 AM by delphipro5 »