Author Topic: 91' KX500 front brake rotor (SM converstion) questions  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Dodd

91' KX500 front brake rotor (SM converstion) questions
« on: February 07, 2011, 07:35:31 AM »
Hello all-
I did a cursory search for the answer to this question but didn't find anything matching exactly what I'm looking for.

I have a 91 KX5 I'm converting to a road race bike. I've got a set of 17" SM wheels. My question is I'm having trouble finding a 320MM rotor to fit the stock bolt patern. What I mean is I don't know what bikes share the 4 hole (4 1/2" by 4 1/2") pattern on the early 500. Most of the rotor/ caliber re-location brackets avalible on line are for 94 and newer KX5.

So, in essance, what I'm asking is what brake rotors will fit from other maybe newer KX bikes have the same pattern, so I can order one of those. I live in the mountians of Colorado and have a new baby, so I can't just run down to the local Kawi shop with my wheel and see what fits.

I'm getting ancy now, as my suspension (lowered and re-valved) will be back from the shop shortly, and brakes are next. I want to get this thing together!

Thank you
Dodd

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: 91' KX500 front brake rotor (SM converstion) questions
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 07:57:41 AM »
Talk to these guys:
http://www.procycle.us/gofiche/gofiche_home.htm
They set me up with a 320MM for my K5

The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Dodd

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 11:48:26 AM »
Thanks for the link. They had news, although not good. Turns out that the rotor is not the problem, its the relocator bracket. Matt at procycle told me that no one is making one for the KX5 any year before 1994.

So, I asked about seeking out a machinist to build me one. He told me that it would be tricky at best, because the caliper doesn't actually bolt on? it floats on pins. Funny, thats not how I saw it when I took it apart.

Anywhoo, I think I have a solution to that problem, the floaty bit anyway- I'll have one built, but to support a radial style caliper.

So lets hear some input- love to hear from anyone with experience with problems like this, and any machinists who could help.

Thanks-
Dodd

Offline slow600

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 12:11:27 PM »
the excel hubs on my bike uses kx250f rotor if that helps