Author Topic: Starting Procedures &Plugs  (Read 4425 times)

texsurfer

Starting Procedures &Plugs
« on: May 14, 2004, 01:53:56 AM »
Can anyone give me any tips on starting this beast?
Also, can someone pass along the correct plug and gap?
I can get it started by towing it.... :(
It does have a ton of compression (limping a little today)

kawdude

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 03:09:28 AM »
The biggest problem I had was that the lever was not in the correct position.  Tip it forward so you get a full kick.  Prime it first with 2-3 slow kicks.  I had the same complaint but after I move the lever it starts in 2-3 kicks when cold.  What year is this bike?  Could have other issues.  I use a br8eg plug but I believe the recommendation is the br8evx or eix.

Reeds OK??? :?:

Sharc

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 03:20:05 AM »
Same as KawDude, shake up the fuel, choke on if cold, 2-3 slow kicks to prime it, engage the kick strt lever as high as you can, then boot it like there's no tomorrow...BR8EG for me too. Never checked the gap - I think it's 0.28...? Runs great, no fouled plugs...

Sharc

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 03:39:14 AM »
Also, you could lay the bike down on it's pipe side and let some gas drain into the cylinder, mine starts first decent kick if I do this.

Rick

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 04:04:27 AM »
BR8EVX plug.

Good advise on getting your lever as high as possible.  The addition of a flywheet weight makes starting about as easy as a 250.

Rick

kawdude

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2004, 05:02:38 AM »
Excellent point also.  I have a flywheel weight on mine and inertia makes a big difference.

Quote from: Rick
BR8EVX plug.

Good advise on getting your lever as high as possible.  The addition of a flywheet weight makes starting about as easy as a 250.

Rick

Sharc

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2004, 05:24:20 AM »
Yup, me too 10 oz. Love it. Forgot about that little ace in the hole....

texsurfer

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2004, 07:06:16 AM »
It's 1998, ProCircuit pipe and canister, Boyesen Rad Valve. I haven't looked at anything but the plug. What premix ratio does it run? It may be too rich. I think I put about 8-10oz in 1 gallon of gas. the plug is getting plenty of gas and once started will idle fine while smoking like a mosquito fogger. I didn't think the super oily mixture would make starting so hard (if in fact it is way too oily). Thanks for the replies..

Rick

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2004, 07:22:11 AM »
8-10 oz for 1 gallon. :shock:  :shock:  :shock: Almost got as much oil in there for a whole tank.  

As a general rule, synthetic oils can allow you to run a higher ratio mix (as much as 50:1 and more if you dare), but most folks run in the neighborhood of 40:1.  I use Torco at 40:1 with good results at all elevations and different types of racing, but used to used BelRay at 50:1.  I only switched because of better support (read pricing) for Torco.

Yup, I'll bet she smokes like a cold Freightliner.  I would think seriously about draining the fuel from the tank and carb and using it for weed killer.  Next, mix some oil with a better ratio and swap for a new plug.  My guess is that you will smoke for a little longer until you clean out the excess oil around the crank.  A few good high speed passes should do the trick.

Good luck.

Rick

Sharc

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2004, 07:42:57 AM »
Holy cow...!! 8oz = 17:1. Try 4oz/gallon, that's 32:1. Or, 3.25oz/gal is 40:1. Should make a world of difference....It'll turn your fogger into a funny car....

Sharc

Sharc

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2004, 07:47:02 AM »
If you want to do some Premix math, here's the rules:

16 fl oz.   1 pint
128 fl oz.   1 gallon
2 pint   1 quart
4 quarts   1 gallon

And, most importantly....
1 jigger   1 and 1/2 fl. oz.

So a little over 2 jiggers per gallon is 40:1...
(A jigger is a shot glass, for you young 'uns...)

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2004, 04:39:02 PM »
BPR8ES  @ 0.28   (stock is 0.24)   Belray H1R 60:1  94 pumpgas

My bike is usually a 1 kick starter, hot or cold, with no kickback. When it's cold I like to put it in 1st and rock the bike back and forth 3-4 times. Apparently this super richens the mixture.  Seems to work as it almost always starts first kick cold. Hope this helps.  Last week I tried a regular BR8ES at 0.24 and it definately didn't start as well.  Hmm..... Cam.

kmac

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2004, 01:49:52 PM »
Ya, in gear and rock it 5 or 6 times works for me, 3rd kick usually. BR8 ES @ .028

kawdude

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2004, 04:37:11 PM »
Quote from: kmac
Ya, in gear and rock it 5 or 6 times works for me, 3rd kick usually. BR8 ES @ .028

I've tried this method because many use it but everytime I do, it floods the bike and it's a be..atch to start.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2004, 07:45:19 PM »
Quote from: gowen
Also, you could lay the bike down on it's pipe side and let some gas drain into the cylinder, mine starts first decent kick if I do this.

Since changing my stator, I now get a first kick start if I slowly kick it once or twice then kick the devil out of it.  :lol: