Author Topic: Front caliper swap. Magura? CR? TRX?  (Read 11849 times)

Offline Verde Grande

Front caliper swap. Magura? CR? TRX?
« on: January 30, 2011, 07:03:53 PM »
Hey gang,
I'm new here and yes, I did a search but didn't see my particular question addressed.

I'd like to improve the front brake on my '98 KX-500. Yes, I know about the  CR lever, shorter hose, etc but what I'd really
like to do is mount a serious caliper and follow that up with the needed master cylinder. My first choice would be to mount a 4 piston caliper. Has anyone tried the Magura kit? Or has anyone been able to mount another type of four piston caliper?

The next option would be a better two piston caliper. Is there a CR model that is a straight bolt-on? Or do brackets need to be fabricated? Has anyone had any luck with a TRX caliper? (I only ask about the TRX because I saw someone talk about using the TRX master cylinder and was wondering if the caliper would work, as well.

Thanks!

edited to add: This is going to be for MX/off road use so I want to keep the stock rotor and wheel.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 08:37:41 AM by Chip Morton »

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Re: Front caliper swap. Magura? CR? TRX?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 01:08:13 AM »
Chip, you need the supermotard guys for a real answer, I will move your question to that section.  I've never had a problem with stock other than where the banjo bolt is located.  I don't race so it's not as critical a problem for me.  The reason I went to the Honda master cylinder is to get the banjo bolt on the back side to clear my Cycra handguards.  Both the Honda and the Kawasaki master cylinders are made by Nissan.
They are the same except for the location of the bolt.
P.S. Thanks for using the search. Cool join date, Joined: 01.11.11
KX 500 Rider

Offline greencannon

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 02:10:23 AM »
If you plan to supermoto, then 4 piston is good. But you just dirt riding i think 4 pot is overkill
get a steel braided line, a Braking upgrade caliper, Braking wave rotor, and the Braking pads to match. Have lots of patience and time thouroughly bleeding air out.
That should be enough to send you over the bars when you squeeze the brake lever

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 02:27:49 AM »
KX 500 Rider

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 05:26:35 AM »
H? Danger good to see you back :-D

How does that BatFly disk work, any better than stock? I like the way they look, only the price is holding me back a bit.

Dutch
Proud owner of a KX500AF

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 07:01:37 AM »
I would say yes.  I don't get the heat fading like I would experience with the stock disk.  The area I ride the most, here in OKC is real tight  http://www.lakedraper.com/images/downloadable/trailmap.jpg  .  It's very rare that I get into 3rd gear.  If I'm setting a fast pace, it's hammer on the gas then hammer on the brakes.  Over and over again.  The link shows an old map. They opened the black trail (not shown) a few years back.  They have squeezed about 70 miles of trail into 2, one mile sections.  You can see how many switch backs there are.   The pink area is the off road riding area.  The black trail is in the bottom half mile section not colored in. This link,  http://www.lakedraper.com/images/downloadable/DraperMap_Lg.jpg  People in the snow bound states drive for hours to ride Crosstimbers.  I met a group from Minnesota 2 rides ago.
The bottom line.  If you are a very aggressive rider or race, the BatFly would be a good choice.  At this point I would not buy it. But back when I did buy it the economy was still going VERY strong here in Oklahoma.  I was putting the bling to that bike but the kind of riding I do does not justify the price.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 07:03:18 AM by Danger4u2 »
KX 500 Rider

Offline Verde Grande

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 07:56:11 AM »
If you plan to supermoto, then 4 piston is good. But you just dirt riding i think 4 pot is overkill
get a steel braided line, a Braking upgrade caliper, Braking wave rotor, and the Braking pads to match. Have lots of patience and time thouroughly bleeding air out.
That should be enough to send you over the bars when you squeeze the brake lever

Hi Green,
Thank you.
That Braking caliper is unholy expensive. Personally, I feel that one can rarely have too much braking power.
I'd rather back off on the finger pressure, ya know?

I should have mentioned that I'll be using it off road/MX and I want to keep the stock rotor. Overheating isn't
generally an issue.

I know that with a smaller rotor on spoke wheels, clearance is an issue. I think that Magura makes a radial mount
kit with a low profile 4-piston caliper but that's $$$$ as well.

Most sport bike 4-piston calipers that I've measured are too wide to make work on a stock wheel and rotor but maybe
someone know of a more narrow unit?

The other, more likely, option is a bigger/stronger 2-piston floating caliper. Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Offline greencannon

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 10:29:21 AM »
I think your only mistake would be to keep the stock front disc.. it wears too fast in the center and becomes concave, not allowing the full surface of the pad to contact the rotor. it takes a while for a set of pads to seat in to that shape if they ever do, and braking performance sucks. I use a Braking wave rotor,  that wave was designed to eliminate that. seems to be working good for me.
 the performace feels consistant and the pads are lasting much longer now. just my .02

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 12:37:33 PM »
If you don't use your front brake rotor for crushing rocks, then I like my set up

These guys set me up.
http://www.procycle.us/gofiche/gofiche_home.htm

It's 320MM with a stock caliper, master cylinder, and line.
It is strong but not touchy.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 03:40:37 PM by sandblaster »
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline byron909

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 03:30:25 PM »
chip as far as a better caliper, you will find that any 86 up cr will bolt up, but any late model cr/f caliper is no better than any 95 up kx caliper. they are all good. i think the 92 up cr master is nicer than kx, but i think the bores are same size. you would do good to up the rotor size, a 270mm would be plenty over your 250, and be fine for whatever you do. i have had a few ebc 280mm, i mainly race worcs type events, seem to have bent a few of them. i think the 280 is too big for the woods. but the 270  i have had no trouble. any kit 89-04 kx500 or 89-02 kx125/250  will work on your bike. if you can find an old braking 260 that is a awesome setup. moto master makes a 260mm setup for your bike still.  the shorter line deal like you mentioned is a good thing to do also, use a stock 92 up honda line or a 03 up kx/f or some braided aftermarket job. 

for what it is worth when pro circuit raced kx125s most all had cr master cylinders.
1984 cr500 1985 kx125 1999ktm300mxc
1986 cr500 1986 kx500 2013.5 ktm450 fe
1987 cr500 1994 kx500
1991 cr500 2000 kx125
1995 cr250 2008 kx500
1995 cr500
2003 cr250
2003 cr500
2008 cr500

Offline Verde Grande

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 03:51:27 PM »
Thanks for the info, gentlemen! Byron, you are a wealth of information; thanks!!!
Still, the garage tinkering hack engineer in me still wants to explore the 4-piston set up.
More cowbell!!!   :-D :-D

Offline Verde Grande

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 03:37:14 AM »
Well, I came across an '01 CR-250 master cylinder and hose for only $20.00 so
that will go on first. I'd still like to explore the four piston caliper but for only
$20.00, this first upgrade is a smoking deal, no? Win!

Offline PowerFiend

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 11:02:41 AM »
Hey gang,
I'm new here and yes, I did a search but didn't see my particular question addressed.

I'd like to improve the front brake on my '98 KX-500. Yes, I know about the  CR lever, shorter hose, etc but what I'd really
like to do is mount a serious caliper and follow that up with the needed master cylinder. My first choice would be to mount a 4 piston caliper. Has anyone tried the Magura kit? Or has anyone been able to mount another type of four piston caliper?

The next option would be a better two piston caliper. Is there a CR model that is a straight bolt-on? Or do brackets need to be fabricated? Has anyone had any luck with a TRX caliper? (I only ask about the TRX because I saw someone talk about using the TRX master cylinder and was wondering if the caliper would work, as well.

Thanks!

edited to add: This is going to be for MX/off road use so I want to keep the stock rotor and wheel.

The 4 piston calipers just barely clear on the smaller 17in wheel due to the greater angle on the spokes and the larger 320mm rotor. The TRX master will only work with 4 piston calipers, since it is designed to push 2 - two piston calipers on the quad. The TRX master and a 4pad 4piston Brembo radial caliper is my favorite supermoto setup, since it retains the feel of a good dirt front brake rather than a big levered road master.

The 2009+ CRF450R master is a newer and better design then the other Nissan masters out. A larger 260mm rotor, short CR style hose, and CRF OEM brake pads will give you very good braking. Much more front brake than that and you have to much brake for the front knobby to control. I have tried a 280mm, and feel that they lock up to easy offroad.

Offline Verde Grande

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 07:47:05 PM »
Thanks for the info, PowerFiend!

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 11:13:43 PM »
what does a bigger rotor do :? :? :?
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50
2009 Harley super glide custom