Author Topic: fuel tank.  (Read 3795 times)

fast500#12

fuel tank.
« on: May 10, 2004, 06:40:16 PM »
does any one have any experiance with clark fuel tanks? how are they? do they fit right and so forth. my stock tank has a crack next to the left mount. and if i topper off and ride with any speed gas blows in my face. :shock: not pleasant if you know what i mean.

mikesmith

fuel tank.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 07:42:42 PM »
I dont care for how they look(oversize tank),but otherwise there the best!

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
fuel tank.
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 01:24:09 AM »
I have one, it's fit and finish is better than stock and it's also slimmer. Looks like a Texaco tanker though. Capacity is 4gal and range on a properly tuned 500 is close to 90 miles.

NastyNick

fuel tank.
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 10:24:31 AM »
Quote from: Paul
I have one, it's fit and finish is better than stock and it's also slimmer. Looks like a Texaco tanker

I couldn't agree more.  :shock:   Fit and finish are fine.  I had a little problem with my UFO shrouds matching up, but I didn't think it was a problem with the tank .  More like the radiators are "tweaked".

kawdude

fuel tank.
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 10:55:09 AM »
Another option is the Zipty kit.

Offline demographic

Re: fuel tank.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 04:52:31 AM »
Quote from: fast500#12
does any one have any experiance with clark fuel tanks? how are they? do they fit right and so forth. my stock tank has a crack next to the left mount. and if i topper off and ride with any speed gas blows in my face. :shock: not pleasant if you know what i mean.

I have a Clarke tank on mine :)  
Not got any photos of it yet though, the only problem I had with it was that the bolt spacing was slightly less than on my old tank so when fitting the fuel tap I had to drill out the holes in the mounting plate part of the tap/petcock.

From memory I had to drill out the holes from 6 mil to 7 mil so it was only a little bit out but it stopped the bolts from lining up right and would have caused em to cross thread.

Another thing is that I bought a Pingel fuel tap with reserve for my KX.......

Unfortunatly the mounting plate for it does not fit into the recessed  part of the tank because its kind ofsquare and too chunky at the ends.

I can either use a grinder to re-shape it or make a new one out of aluminium :roll:  I am not as bothered about having a tap with a reserve now though cos I can see how much petrol is in the tank :D

I will get round to sorting it but theres no rush.

Oh and mine is the four gallon one also, and it looks like the Matterhorn but holds enough petrol so I dont have to spend too much time in garages mixing up juice.

teamgreen500

fuel tank.
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 01:50:40 PM »
Clarke is the best bang for the buck. Period. Manufacturer direct. Get natural so you can see how much gas is in there!

Manny

fast500#12

fuel tank.
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2004, 12:23:49 PM »
i got mine friday and my god that thing is huge. the look of it is growing on me little by little but man i rode all day and never ran it dry. i had a problem getting my ufo shrouds to line up also. thanks for the in put every one.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
fuel tank.
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2004, 05:21:37 PM »
I just can't come to get one of them giant tanks. Just can't do it yet... :-/

fast500#12

fuel tank.
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2004, 08:00:38 PM »
it wasn't what i was looking for but i couldn't fix the stock one , and it was way cheaper than factory.  :roll:

jdv500

fuel tank.
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2005, 01:22:05 AM »
got the clarke 4.0 tank in natural 2 weeks ago, the left shroud had to be trimmed to sit flush in the contour of the tank. fits great and is alot slimmer then stock. i needed the capacity here in the woods, prior to the clarke,i almost found out the hard way several times about an hour from the truck that i was low. a great improvement and price.
jdv

Offline GDubb

fuel tank.
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2005, 02:55:29 PM »
First off... I have a purple tank that came on my bike, and would almost give my right arm to get rid of it if I didnt need it to hang on and twist the throttle with. Also most of my riding will be at the dunes so the capacity of a large tank is appealing, but on the other hand I like to air alot at the dunes, so would a tank like that get in the way if i have to move around alot on the bike? Also during the very short non-raining season when the local outdoor track is open I plan on riding there quite a bit to work on my motocross skills so then an 89 250 tank like doordies is quite appealing but obviously NOT for the dunes.  Got myself in a catch 22 I guess.  Maybe just a green stocker or a clarke for the dunes and a 250 tank for the track? Things that make you go hmmm.
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
fuel tank.
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2005, 07:38:09 AM »
GDubb,

As I told you in your gallery,that purple gastank makes me H...y! :lol:
I maybe paint my little gastank that way! :oops:  

//doordie
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!