Author Topic: FMF Pipes  (Read 3030 times)

Offline RICHK

FMF Pipes
« on: January 03, 2011, 06:01:04 PM »
Can anyone outthere explain the apperance and powerband differences between the Gnarly (woods) 020055 and the Gnarly (desert) 020038
the fmf web site has the same picture and discription for both pipes I know the woods is low end and the desert is mid high but if i go with the woods will i miss the top end is it less than the stock pipe top end i plan on running a reed spacer on a completely fresh motor with the KIPS mod a Rad valve and might even window the piston i am your typical picky whiny consumer i want everything and don't want to loss anything anywhere this poor bike has to do everything with me tight mountain trails, open logging roads, sand dunes, riding with the wife and kid and even the local mx track when i feel crazy . any help, stories or helpfull wisdom would be awesome and pictures so i can tell them apart online
thanks

Motorrad

Re: FMF Pipes
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 06:10:35 PM »
the woods signs off EARLY.. You WILL give up top end..

Id also not reccomend the reed spacer... you will give up...

look at V-force reeds...

(posting on ones phone is a pain)

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 12:25:37 AM »
Sounds to me like you should be building a nice kx285 or 310 to do everything you want to do with the bike. Yea I have K5's but my everyday rider is a K2.5 that I also have a 310 cylinder that I swap on and off, depending on the riding- it loves fuel and I have to carry extra .CBX
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline redlined_KX500

• redlined_K5
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 02:09:21 AM »

I tried both FMF series on mine, they worked pretty good. That Gnarly really does sign off quick.........brutal off idle /low end torque though.  I ended up with a PC Works. Powerband seems to be like exactly what your looking for. I use my bike for everything from lugging on tight trails to MX racing, works great for anything you can throw at it. If you have to run an FMF I'd definitely go with the Desert version, very good pipes.

I run the V-Force 2 reedcage, with reeds set at high tension setting, 10mm reed spacer, thin metal head gasket, KIPS mod, ignition set on full advance mark,VP C12 fuel, Mobil1 2T syn at 80:1 and Iridium plug 1 notch cooler than OEM.

I'm curious to hear others chime in with which set-up is best on their bike.
Don't be scared

Offline RICHK

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 12:51:47 PM »
is the desert the pipe with the kink around the rad cowl like the oem did or the low boy looking pipe

Offline greencannon

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 03:43:12 PM »
I run the  desert pipe out here in the east.  It helps tame that arm pumping KX500 tourqe at low revs and slow techincal riding.
dont worry, the brutality is still there if you want. Mid thru top end pull is strong-n-long
Crisp jetting is the key to this pipe

Offline meangreen500

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 05:23:54 PM »
I have a PSI pipe on mine. I do have a PC works as a spare and used it for a long time and they both work real good. I also have the rad valve and have never had a problem.  :evil:

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 11:04:37 PM »
I have an FMF Gnarly on my bike, and I feel aftermarket pipes are generally "wallet bait BS" for the average rider, but mine came with the bike when I bought it used so I kept it. I've had my bike on everything from technicall woods to 95 mph WFO out on the winter ice. With the addition of a Moose torque spacer, and clean jetting, and some 110 CAM II race fuel my engine pulls brutal from idle to  redline.. (can't give you a real rpm as to exactly what "redline" is, but I can tell you the top end on my 500 is friggin' SCARY fast...   :-D   )
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart