Author Topic: KX500 crank truing and balance  (Read 6231 times)

husqrider

KX500 crank truing and balance
« on: March 03, 2003, 04:53:33 AM »
has anyone had experience truing a crank or having it trued? I was wondering about the difference this would REALLY make and what it cost to have done. Also what is there on shimming the rear motor mount to help with cutting down on vibrations? I have read in the magazines about these things being done, but no actual facts on what is done or by who.
thanks

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2003, 06:26:40 AM »
I've ridden a KX500 with a balanced / trued crank and it is awesome. The engine is so smooth you won't believe it and the vibration is no longer in your hands. When the ol compression meter tells me that the time has come for a new topend I'm sending my crank to Crankworks in Tempe, AZ and having that work done to mine. As far as the shim thing to the rear mounts, I've never heard of that one.

mikesmith

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2003, 06:41:50 AM »
I havent done it yet,but Ive read about shimming the rear motor mount in a few articles on preping KX500s.I would ask Destry Abbott about it,he should know.

Z1R

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2003, 10:23:26 AM »
I had the crank in my 82 Z1R balanced, trued and welded.  What a difference it made on that bike.

Of course this may not be an accurate comparison (4 cylinder 4 stroke vs Single cylinder 2-stroke)...but it's not unusual that Kawasaki cranks can benefit from this type of work.

Rick

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2003, 02:05:22 AM »
When I get my new bike each year or two, I pick the one off the floor with the least amount of vibration.  I then run vibration dampners in the bars.  When it's time to rebuilt the crank, the crank is trued.  You will not believe the difference.

The first time we did this was on a bike 100% provided by a sponsor.  Since we just had to take the bike that was delivered, we found that the vibration was so bad, your eyes were sore after a long ride (true statement). We pulled the motor and crank, and had it trued (by the Honda shop, as they have the best mechanic in the state).  What a difference!! :shock: After that experience, all cranks are trued on rebuild.  Also, if I ever get another bike that has to much vibration on delivery, I would split the cases first thing.  If you can pull the crank yourself, it really should not cost much at all.

Good luck.

Rick

KX142

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2003, 04:36:59 PM »
I sent my 03 motor to Pro- Action to get balanced, I am supposed to get it back  this week. I'll let you know how it works.

husqrider

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2003, 05:33:49 AM »
Thank you for the replies and I look forward to hearing KX142 exp. with new trued crank . This has encouraged me to pull the motor and true the crank and I will pass along the results. Also I got a reply e mail from Destry Abbot on shimming Rear motor mounts and he said he did not know anything about it. I am a little disappointed, I guess I thought a guy like Destry would have known about this. oh well, I will continue to work on it

KX142

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2003, 12:57:41 AM »
Got my bike back together finally and it definitly helped out the Vibes. It still has some, but nowhere near what it had before. I started my 01 and 03 500's, the crank balanced on the 03 and just stock on the 01 and the plastic on the tank still vibrates and churns the gas, but to put my finger nail on the exhaust, before it gets warmed up, the 01 gives me a rapid tap tap tap on the finger. The 03, my finger sets on it just like it wasn't even running, even when I hit the throttle. The big question for me now is whether to spend the $$ to get the 01 crank balanced. The actual balancing only cost $70, but tearing the motor apart, with new min bearings, seals, and all that gets a little higher.  But anyway, good job to PRO-ACTION, it definitly helped a lot and will save quite a few bolts from shaking out during a race.